Ynys Môn

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Back from Ynys Môn...
Aug 31, 2006, 14:24
Lovely sketches, my favourite place Wales and I shall be going in about three weeks time...
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2006, 14:30
Aug 31, 2006, 14:27
It's almost heresy with all the fantastic photos on this website (singled out for praise, I might add, at the Intute website, I noticed the other day)
http://www.intute.ac.uk/artsandhumanities/cgi-bin/fullrecord.pl?handle=humbul15882
.. but your lovely paintings capture something a bit extra, Jane, something about being there that a photo doesn't always capture. I'm glad you got your time to sit down and paint. I wish I'd tried when I was on holiday in Pembrokeshire but it's such a private, concentrated thing to do (so I find, at least) that I felt I couldn't spend that time away from Mr Rh, who I see so little of at the best of times:( Now what I really need is a week on my own there!
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 15:23
Rhiannon wrote:

.. but your lovely paintings capture something a bit extra, Jane, something about being there that a photo doesn't always capture. I'm glad you got your time to sit down and paint. I wish I'd tried when I was on holiday in Pembrokeshire but it's such a private, concentrated thing to do (so I find, at least) that I felt I couldn't spend that time away from Mr Rh, who I see so little of at the best of times:( Now what I really need is a week on my own there!

The thing about sketching is that you capture the essence, you an filter out all the 'noise' and just concentrate on the things that interest you about a place. You simply leave out the dross. That way you paint what the place feels like rather than what it looks like.

I would dearly love to sit and sketch with other people. Normally I have to beg time off whoever I'm with - on this occasion, Moth, treaclechops and my sprogs - who are all very patient, but it still means I feel a bit rushed. To go out with a fellow sketcher would be wonderful. Wish I was coming to sketch in Pembs with you, Rh! I work better and frequently take more risks with my work knowing I'm not being watched.

Strangely, on this trip I didn't sketch any big old rocks. Just beaches. I'm very intrigued by waves and water at the mo. Stones are almost too easy!
J
xxx
PS Stoney blogs coming soon!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 16:18
Perhaps we could have the alternative megalithic meetup where persons of a sketching disposition could sit quietly together with only the occasional 'pass the charcoal' being heard. I'm sure I could quietly glean inspiration and tips from you the expert at work!

I went on a collegey art trip to Cornwall a couple of years ago and sat with two friends at a couple of sites while we all drew and it was really nice. I don't mind being places on my own, but it's nice to go with other people, but then you often miss out on the elements you would have got if you were alone. But this was a good solution. And we did sit and talk over our sandwiches after a few pictures.
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Re: Ynys Môn
Aug 31, 2006, 17:09
who the fuck was arguing? :P
whatisthat
255 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 18:24
Nice pic of Trefignath.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/50408
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 18:41
Aye! Moth takes a good pic!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

dolmen restoration
Aug 31, 2006, 18:47
Isn't it funny. I haven't seen many dolmens but the ones that I have like Carreg Samson, Pentre Ifan, and Lanyon Quoit - the capstones were all perched in a completely unfeasible way, barely touching the stones below, apparently, and as though if you gave them a shove they'd fall. Which they didn't because they were really well balanced.
Sooo, why did some people see it necessary to restore many of the dolmens Jane saw with such insensitive methods and materials? Would it be soo difficult to have propped the things up with a bit of rock? hmm.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Re: Ynys Môn
Aug 31, 2006, 18:49
calm down you, or we'll set some geocachers on yer;-)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: dolmen restoration
Aug 31, 2006, 18:50
I suppose the main reason is that it is necessary (from a purist point of view) to completely distinguish between the original and the restoration. That said, it could be because the restorers simply don't know how to do it properly and avoid health and safety related lawsuits.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index