The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
zed rods

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caergog
393 posts

Re: zed rods
Nov 25, 2001, 19:45
I have posted the locations of known pictish z-rod and v-rod stones with cross i.e classII stones on the modern antiquarian site under, highlands and islands, Inverness caithness then miscillanious ( i don't think i have spelt that correctly!)
carolinex
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Thankyou so much 1!!
Nov 25, 2001, 20:01
That is superb. I just looked through and was amazed that there were so many left. I know some have been 'acquired' for museums, but it's still amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to do that!
caergog
393 posts

Re: Thankyou so much 1!!
Nov 25, 2001, 20:06
your welcome!
caroline
caergog
393 posts

further reading..
Nov 25, 2001, 20:55
Bt the same author as 'the pictish trail' ( which is only a little book is 'The symbol stones of scotland' by Anthony Jackson it covers 'the marriage lineages,Kingship, christianity, and explanations of Ogham, photos, maps and tables etc 254 pages and updated grid refs' second pressing 1990 orkney press.
I might just go and buy it now!
caroline
caergog
393 posts

further reading..
Nov 25, 2001, 20:56
By the same author as 'the pictish trail' ( which is only a little book is 'The symbol stones of scotland' by Anthony Jackson it covers 'the marriage lineages,Kingship, christianity, and explanations of Ogham, photos, maps and tables etc 254 pages and updated grid refs' second pressing 1990 orkney press.
I might just go and buy it now!
caroline
woodhouse
38 posts

Re: further reading..
Nov 25, 2001, 23:57
I just got hold of The Pictish Nation..Archibald Scott 1918 ( Pub Foulis)

This book was binned by most authors in the 50's + 60's......sample...

Yet the spirit of the Pictish People and their descendants were neither cowed nor broken. They continued to cherish the ancient passion for freedom. Although, by the falseness of the Gaidheals or Scots, they were to revenge themselves under their own pure blooded leaders, they were content to strike again under kings of the Scotic dynsasty; and they struck so hard and often that Teutonic domination was restricted to the northern Isles and to a very small part of the Pictish mainland.

He has some far out but very well researched ideas does old Archibald Scott..well worth a read if you are near a good library.

W
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: zed rods
Nov 27, 2001, 08:55
I have been invited to Northern Ireland by Author Anthony Weir to witness the winter solstice sunset at Ballynoe stone circle. Here the sun slides down the mountains of Mourne, unfortunately this phenomonen has not been witnessed for many, many years due to cloud. It does give me the posiblility of visiting some of County Downs great monuments on the way though.

I will also get the opportunity to meet someone who has travelled Irish sites and written about them for over 30 years .... this can't be bad !!

Anyway, where I was originally heading, one of Anthony's specialities is the phallic stones and carvings of the early Irish. I will endeavour to get as much info out of him as possible.

He has just completed a CD ( with a few photos from me :-) on there ) which I will post details of separately in case you are interested. I do not know exact details of the contents yet but I will let you know.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Famous Fourwinds?
Nov 27, 2001, 10:11
cool FW - how did you swing that? Fame at last - well done!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Famous Fourwinds?
Nov 27, 2001, 10:30
Actually it's quite simple. Some of the sites I have been to lately have changed so much since Anthony Weir visited them, that he has some very outdated (and now rare) photos of these sites. I have pointed many of these changes out to him recently and so he's used mine and his in a before and after type thing.

He is a great champion of fighting and making people aware of what I once termed as 'megalithicide'.

take a look at (one of ) his site(s) if you fancy something to do for a few hours.

http://www.beyond-the-pale.co.uk/genius.htm

for some strange stuff try simply

http://www.beyond-the-pale.co.uk

afterwards.

Ride On!!
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index