Over your heads

110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Over your heads
Jan 27, 2006, 07:26
> I will do that which I consider best for a person to do, in such an awkward position.

I suggest that if you don't want to get involved personally, then pass all relevant details on to Heritage Action either via the online form - http://www.heritageaction.org/?page=heritagealerts_raiseanalert - or by email - [email protected] - it couldn't be simpler, and if discretion is what you want, then you can maintain your anonymity that way. But if what you say is true, you MUST do something about it. I'm surprised you have to even think about it considering your views on these places!

You asked me why the ancient sites were built. Well I can tell you now that I have absolutely no idea why they were built! And I believe that nobody can truly know. We can all speculate as much as we like, and measure up all the archaeological evidence for some idea of why, but to know for sure? We never will! They were built thousands of years ago with no written record so how are we to "know" what went through these people's minds?

It's possible they were built as temples; it's possible they were built to mark the seasons; it's possible they were built for something we know nothing about because it's no longer relevant in 21st century life.

I think Moth hit the nail on the head (and no - I don't mind you butting in at all! You can normally express things a lot clearer than I can! Thank you!)

So why were they built? Nobody knows. There's ideas aplenty - some realistic, others not.

Hope that's of some assistance.

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index