Re: Winter Solstice
Jan 03, 2006, 17:34
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~prsrlp/kernunos/kaslan2.htm

Despite the flowery language I reckon the Aslan Charter just about covers it
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 17:41
I always remember reading that Mr Cope carries a plastic bag in his sock for carting rubbish away. Probably a bit uncomfortable but very practical. Here at work I seem to spend too much time collecting coffee cups and godknowswhat off the lab benches - it's like these people believe the faceless litter fairies enjoy picking up the stuff they leave behind. Or perhaps they don't even think that far.

I'll stop now before I get into a rant. I don't know what's worse really, the lager cans and crisp packets or the foliage left to rot for the next visitor to look at. The first is just stupidity but the second is so thoughtless - it seems counter to the alleged intentions behind it.
Oh yes I said I'd stop.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 17:52
> I always remember reading that Mr Cope carries a plastic bag in his sock for carting rubbish away. Probably a bit uncomfortable but very practical.

Aye, I remember that being said! I always find it more practical keeping a bag in my pocket, or rucksack if I've got it with me - I'd never dream of keeping it in my sock! :oD Especially not when it's full of remains of tealights... ;o)

But then I'm not a rock 'n' roll god, am I? Or am I?

Nope.

G x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 17:54
Leave only footprints, take only memories*

*and other people's litter ;-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 17:58
Is it just me or is there a lot of suspiciously similar bad grammar going on here?

G x
daveyravey
daveyravey
357 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 19:40
Are You tinking, ThAt It is THE, same Person, gOFFIk.
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Jan 04, 2006, 10:42
Found a whole pile of things at Long Meg when there on NYD. Along with the usual holly, twigs, coins etc were several tealights (incl. three glass jars to hold some of them) and an impressive array of fruit - including the well-known native varieties of orange and pomegranate!

I didn't have a bag with me either... but luckily the prettiest tealight holder fitted just nicely inside my pocket. Sadly, no pebbles had been left.

During another recent visit was to a large local cemetery, it'll never fail to amaze me how people can think that plastic bags and cellophane wrapping can be a suitable tribute (was all that was left on some graves)
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 04, 2006, 12:56
Yes and just look at the crap that people festoon trees by holy wells! Originally, people left something of value - a length of ribbon or lace - something that cost real money. It was a kind of sacrifice to "buy" good health, luck or a desired lover. While recognising the sincerity of some in Ireland and elsewhere, in the majority of cases the items left would insult any spirit or deity - plastic, rags, underwear, artificial fabrics that will never degrade. Now its just litter, but what can we do about it? Its not practical to untie every piece of tat. Should we go armed with secateurs and give the tree a trim? The sick thing is that these "pagans" claim to follow some kind of nature religion that honours the Earth Mother. Some honour!
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Jan 04, 2006, 13:56
Long Meg at New Year:

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6761/longmeglitter2on.jpg
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jan 04, 2006, 14:11
I took a carrier bag full of startingtorot folliage away from West Kennet on Monday afternoon. Plus the usual array of tealights, melted (and now hardened wax) and joss sticks. No pretty rocks this time, but my gf did find a weird amulet thing.

On the incense issue, did they think "hmm smells a bit like wet earth, must get rid of that natural smell and put something artificial in its place"?

All makes me so angry.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index