Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Adrenochrome
20 posts

Winter Solstice
Dec 21, 2005, 15:39
Had our first winter solstice visit

We drove up to Castlerigg

The weather was awful, but it was well worth it, with about 20ish people braving the rain & wind.

We never saw the sun, but it was still wonderful.

Thank you to the gent from Preston who wished us a happy Solstice, it was nice to be welcomed. Hope to see you in 12 months time!!!!!!!!!!!
whipangel
137 posts

Re: Winter Solstice
Dec 23, 2005, 11:52
We'd wanted to get to Castlerigg too, but work meant we couldn't. So we drove up that night instead.

Was there a wreath on a Southern stone when you were there?

It was dry, not that cold, and magical to have it all to ourselves. Photos/fieldnotes on the castlerigg page.
Weirdydude
11 posts

Jan 01, 2006, 23:07
I was at CASTLERIGG also.My first WINTER SOLSTICE..Had driven to ULSWATER are from KENT,esspecially,for a SOLSTICE BREAK,as it fits in with my calender of things...
Stayed just up the road,along towards, POOLEY BRIDGE..!!
The wind howled and disslodged all the offerings that had been placed so lovingly...
...Including a lovely wreath,I had spent the evening before,making..!!
It was still magical,watching the gloomy sunlight trying to peek throught the rain clouds..
Adrenochrome
20 posts

Jan 02, 2006, 20:17
Sorry for delay

We got there about three quarters of an hour before sunrise, just as it was starting to get light

The wreath had already been laid then

Cheers

Dave
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 02, 2006, 20:18
>> The wreath had already been laid then

I hope someone took it home with them and disposed of it properly.
Adrenochrome
20 posts

Jan 02, 2006, 20:21
The wreath was a really nice touch

Shame the weather was so overcast - hopefully next year we will see the sun a bit more clearly!
Weirdydude
11 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 15:43
ADRENOCHROME..
Were you the guy with the hat and staff...??
The WREATH,is something I only considered doing the night before,as my visit was special to me,and I wanted to leave something,to acknowledge my visit,and to try to say a little thank you,for the opportunity...
daveyravey
daveyravey
357 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 16:17
Probably not!
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=28988&message=358153
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 16:43
Oh well. I had to contend with a load of litter (in the form of wreaths) when I visited Athgreany stone circle the other day. It really pisses me off that people can have such little respect for those that follow them to sites.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Jan 03, 2006, 16:55
Same at Ballynoe circle on New Years eve, a large star made of twigs with leaves and berries lashed around it and some tealights. Does it just not occur to these people that they are littering or do they not care? Fair enough if they bring it home with them but just leaving it there really annoys me too, no one has an entitlement to litter no matter what they think they are marking/commemorating/offering. I'm sure it must piss farmers off no end and is likely to be one of the reasons they are stopping people access sites. Besides I'm often worried someone will see me at a site think I'm the ignorant f*****!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index