Which type of camera do we use?

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Re: Which type of camera do we use?
Dec 01, 2005, 21:42
Digital SLR's (lens changing types) have a dirty secret, dirt on the sensor is a very real, very annoying pain in the YKW. They are much more responsive though and seeing through an optical viewfinder compared to a screen is a revelation, the photos can stand much more funny business in photoshop before turning into mush as well.

If you can see yourself getting serious about photography in the future then a DSLR is definitely the way to go, you may dump the camera after two or three years but good lenses will last a lifetime and rarely need upgrading. If I were advising someone on what camera to get, I'd say the lens system is more important than the fancy new camera, if there isnt a good lense outfit available to suit your needs and budget then you cold end up spending a lot and then finding yourself wanting to change systems in years to come, at even greater expense. The way Nikon and Cannon are dominating things now, who knows what other companies will be in the DSLR business in 5 or 10 years time.

In fixed lens cameras there are the superb panasonics (Z30 I think) with amazing Leica lenses and excellent build quality, would definitely be my first choice of fixed lens camera.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index