Which type of camera do we use?

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Nikon D70
Dec 01, 2005, 16:28
At the moment I'm using the D70, it exceeded every expectation I had about it after three or four months agonising over different cameras. I just like Nikons focus on engineering and refusal to compromise to please the spec speculators. I have mine over a year now and am in no great hurry to upgrade though the D200 might be very tempting if the high ISO noise is well controlled.

The body is poly carbonate, which makes it a lot easier to carry over distances, its also very tough and I've seen some withstand some pretty cruel and bruising treatment over the last year with no scratches or rattles. The metering and flash system are what made the sale for me, the matrix metering is truly excellent and above all consistent so I know exactly what it takes to fool it into what I want, I only need to take multiple exposures to ensure I get sharp results. The flash system is really extraordinary, the balancing of colour and exposure never fail to amaze me even when the flash is triggered via infra red, metres away from the camera.

My only gripes are the lack of mirror lock up and high ISO noise, both of which can be overcome with a bit of discipline.

If anyone is considering getting this camera, get the kit kens even if you have lenses, it really is a surprisingly sharp and flexible lens and unless you print above 15"x10" you wont see a difference between it and 'pro-glass' at F8 and normal viewing distance.

IF the D200 is as good as it sounds I will probably upgrade in the new year if someone is interested in buying a great, well-loved secondhand one!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index