Neolithic boats

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: Is this a boat?
Nov 22, 2005, 08:45
First point. Thinking about your suggestion that the Bronze Age artists engraved pictures of foreign boats rather than their own. On balance I would think not. Scandinavia is very wet. Denmark is all islands, Sweden is all lakes and Norway is all fjords. To get around ou need good boats and lots of them. Scandinavia was remote from the Mediterranean Bronze Age world and although traders might travel there - even to the Greeks and Romans it was Ultima Thule and I suggest little visited.

Second point. That illustration is a beauty and is also given in Ruth Ellis Davidson's "Scandinavian Mythology". It shows a large boat and a smaller one. Fore and aft, they both have what appear to be underwater projections. The upright lines could be crew or oars/paddles. They could be plank built or skins over frames -other pictures elsewhere show the two distinct types more clearly. The figures at the bottom are a man and a woman with what is probably a sun disc between them. The animal is probably a dog or horse. I don't know what the two discs on sticks represent - lollipops or trees?

The whole picture suggests to me a journey resulting in a marriage union between two tribes or communities
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index