1696 posts

Re: Avebury 2005
Jun 26, 2005, 15:10
Cheers.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 15:32
Just to add and to clarify my meaning. You talk a lot of sense Dok, but if you think that SBP would make her point more effectively by moderating some of the things she says, then calling her vile names makes little sense.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 17:44
That's exactly the impression I got when I made my first posts last week. To think all this animosity started because Dan posted some photos he thought he would share with others. Maybe the instigator/s of the animosity are unable to do this kind of thing. The instigator/s only seem to want to put forward negative responses to every thing. I came onto the forum hoping I would be able to communicate with like minded people and possible learn something I didn't already know as well as enjoy good debate.Not get ino a slanging match.
Peace Lubin
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 18:17
As in all forums, people come and people go and some hang around for years.

At present, I can think of only two posters who regularly raise the hackles. smallblueplanet and mike croley. (littlestone used to be another but he's shown very good behaviour for some time now.)

You just happened to join in when both are in full swing - and took the side of one of them.

Peace & Love

Baz
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 18:50
>(littlestone used to be another but he's shown very good behaviour for some time now.)<

Don't push your luck buster ;-)

Love

Littlestone

PS At the end of the day though, love generates love and hate generates hate. Sorry, that sounds a bit contrite. I'm really not trying to preach - don't have to. The proof of negative posts are sprinkled for all to see - they come thick and fast in the form of more negative posts. The proof of positive posts are, simply, more positive posts. That doesn't mean we cant sound off every now and then though - just don't make a habit of it (that OK with you Baz :-).
Dan Mills
7 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 18:54
Firstly thanks for the positive comments about the photos.......

To those who seem to be taking on the roles of mind police, let me put you straight; I am an amateur photographer and I operate a simple policy I take photographs of what I see, I objectively record a slice in time as it is presented.

It did not occur to me in the slightest that the candles (there is only one in the shot but there were others in the chambers) would cause so much distress to some of you!

If you feel so vehemently that lighting some candles on the Solstice is so devastating to the world heritage site of WKLB then may I suggest you go out and educate people about the affects of their actions, or perhaps you could write to English Heritage and ask them to surround the whole area in fencing as they did to Stone Henge in the eighties?

Seriously I cannot beleive you think that I am after kudos?? Duh if I were I'd send them into NatGeo or something.......

Oh "SmallBluePlanet" BTW HOW MANY IRREPLACABLE ANCIENT SITES OF WORLD INTEREST WAS THE MoD RESPONSIBLE IN BOMBING IN THE IRAQ WAR!! Hmmmmmm........ high explosives do a little more damage than a tealight me reckons!
Dan Mills
7 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 19:00
Firstly thanks for the positive comments about the photos.......

To those who seem to be taking on the roles of mind police, let me put you straight; I am an amateur photographer and I operate a simple policy I take photographs of what I see, I objectively record a slice in time as it is presented.

It did not occur to me in the slightest that the candles (there is only one in the shot but there were others in the chambers) would cause so much distress to some of you!

If you feel so vehemently that lighting some candles on the Solstice is so devastating to the world heritage site of WKLB then may I suggest you go out and educate people about the affects of their actions, or perhaps you could write to English Heritage and ask them to surround the whole area in fencing as they did to Stone Henge in the eighties?

Seriously I cannot beleive you think that I am after kudos?? Duh if I were I'd send them into NatGeo or something.......

Oh "SmallBluePlanet" BTW HOW MANY IRREPLACABLE ANCIENT SITES OF WORLD INTEREST WAS THE MoD RESPONSIBLE IN BOMBING IN THE IRAQ WAR!! Hmmmmmm........ high explosives do a little more damage than a tealight me reckons!
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 19:22
LOL

I wondered if you'd respond.

:o)

If people rattle my cage, then I can't help but squawk. Trouble is, I'm not so good at the back-slapping stuff.

;o)

Baz
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 19:46
Dan, as I write this, there have been 21,228 images posted onto this site. When you read this there will probably be more. You asked us to look at a couple of images on another site. I thought they were rather small - and one showed a lighted candle, unattended within a long barrow, but said nothing, at first. The majority of the users of this site DO frown on such ignorant or irresponsible behaviour. Publicising such behaviour without comment is also looked down upon. We do try to change the ways of those who, usually in innocence, may harm ancient sites. We like the monuments to be open and accessible for all to enjoy, and many of us regularly clear up the mess left by others. The reception shown to you by one, smallblueplanet, is not typical of the rest of us.

We do care.

Baz
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 26, 2005, 19:53
Be more specific and I'll answer your question. What, exactly, is the question?

Baz
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index