Avebury 2005

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Avebury 2005
Jun 27, 2005, 02:14
They are nice pix Dan & for what it's worth, I'm sorry about the 'welcome' you got. (Again, 'for what it's worth') "Welcome" from me!!!

The candle thing's really unfortunate. Elsewhere on the thread, Baz says he thought bout saying something about the candle. I also did - before sbp posted.

It's easy for me to say now, but it's probably a shame neither Baz or I did. Certainly all I'd've said is summat like "Hope you didn't take the candle in yourself" and have mentioned that they're not very good for monuments. May have asked you if you'd consider adding a caption telling peeps it's not a good idea.

In case you're interested & haven't seen it, I've just posted this elsewhere on the thread - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=24822&message=284194

Hope we'll see you around & be able to discuss this sorta stuff (& big ole rox n bumps properly).

love

Moth
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 05:45
SMB - i have no idea who the hell you are & i've no wish to, but you appear to be a terribly unpleasant person on an otherwise very friendly (& generally civilized) forum. How sad that you should resort to such juvenility.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 07:57
>> Do you think a photo of Belsen needs a caption to explain what it is!!

Of course a photograph of Belsen needs comment to say what it is. A picture emaciated people queueing up outside a building whilst overlooked by Nazi soldiers could be interpreted as a soup kitchen.

Everything is about context!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 08:03
Yup - welcome from me, too...

I do hope my recent postings haven't sullied anyone's opinions of me. I'm quite placid normally! Bad manners really get my goat, though... That'll do on the subject as far as I'm concerneed...

As mentioned waaay up there - I liked your pics. Very nice! All I tried to do in my first post was to try to point out that saying "candles are bad" without giving a reason is just bad practise. I know you didn't put it there in the first place. That, coupled with the fact you were unaware of any damage it could do pretty much leaves you off the hook, doesn't it?

I think we had a discussion a wee while ago about raising awareness about such things - suggesting putting signs up, for example, describing the problems the burning and littler cause. Wonder if it's worth contacting EH or NT again to see if they can do anything about it? People are generally unaware rather than ignorant of these things... "What damage can my little votive offering cause?"...

I promise I'll try not to get wound up with anyone on here any more. I know I've already gone against that once this morning, but I'm fed up with it all now. Sorry! :oD

G x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 08:08
>> Bad manners really get my goat, though

Bad Manners! That's where I know you from! :-)
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: This place
Jun 27, 2005, 08:09
Nicely said, Moth.

Don't Go!

Peace

Pilgrim

X
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 08:10
D'you know - I nearly went to a fancy dress party as Buster Bloodvessel once, but decided that the skinhead, red braces, white t-shite, turned up jeans and Doctor Martens might have me mistooken fer a nazi?!?

SO I hired a baby-grow and went as George Dawes* instead... :o)

G x

*And NOBODY knew who I was meant to be!!!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 08:13
Seconded. Happens from time to time on here, but when it clears, this is a wonderful place to be...

I'll not bite no more, I promise! ;o)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 09:10
Oh go on then, if everyone's going to sign up to be sensible, so will I.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Jun 27, 2005, 10:07
I would suggest that causing people to leave is exactly the result the troll want.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index