This topic is locked

94 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

No violence
Apr 13, 2005, 07:44
Aw, now come on, Mike - I thought we were getting somewhere then!

Politicians answer questions with questions - you're only incriminating yourself by NOT answering!

If you said NOTHING, then people would take it as a "yes" - that you WOULD deface the monuments in the future (regardless of what may or may not have happened in the past). If you AVOID the question, or DEFLECT it with another question, then people will think the same. Only with a reply of "no" will people accept that you won't do it.

I, personally, think this makes it look like you WILL deface the monuments at some point, which is why people are so negative toward you. These sites are places we all love, and respect.

People have suggested here that they still connect the swastika with the nazis (and you MUST accept their opinion on thatm surely?), and that this is the reason they don't like the symbol. YOU maintain, quite rightly, that the nazis nicked the symbol for themselves. People still find it offensive regardless of what happened prior to the nazis.

It would be the same as someone suggesting the word "nazi" comes from an ancient word for "love" and daubing it all over your house. Not that anyone here WOULD, of course, because whatever their reason for believeing the word means something positive, it would still be offensive to you (and millions of others!), wouldn't it?

I think you just need to either answer the question, or don't. Your reluctance to reply is tantamount to an admission. Evading the question in a politican stylee will also be seen as an admission. I was so hoping you would just say "no"! A "yes" would be better than this! At leat then we could address the issue properly!

I was thinking of contacting you privately for a chat about your beliefs, but unfortunately I don't think I would get any answers... I am still curious, but don't want to go round in circles to get them.

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index