Avebury & the Marlborough Downs »
The Avebury Journal

137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Calling SBP -
Mar 24, 2005, 20:23
I appreciate you've withdrawn some of what you said, but this - "but you're only interested in one side though aren't you?" remains.

I'm not trying to wring a long argument out of this but I'd like you to understand that that accusation touches a raw nerve with an organisation that's trying to fight what it perceives as threats to ancient heritage whilst keeping a reputation for rationality. We have tried to follow a particular and carefully chosen way of conducting ourselves – on the grounds it will bring more results. So we've incorporated our Founding Aims into our Constitution and part of them say this:
[B4] The adoption of a specific persona: forthright but professional. To become known for top quality
design, editing and design standards and rational, ethical behaviour.
It can be damn hard work to keep to that. Some of the organizations we come up against are less exacting than us in some respects. And it's a fact that a bit of joyful shouting would be a lot more fun. Having worked so hard to act like that we're a bit upset to see someone apparently think we were otherwise. It's a matter of reputation you see. You've hit us where it most hurts, but haven't been specific so we don't know what you are referring to.

I assume your remarks relate to wider issues than Avebury Journal since that was hot off the presses when you posted the above remark, and is a newsy blog quite separate from everything else we do. I also assume it wasn't just "wine" since a pre-existing opinion must have been there before you raised your glass. So - please tell us where we have acted in an unbalanced fashion, the exact information we have failed to mention and what information you have that we don't.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index