Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Your favourite 'significant landscape feature'

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Your favourite 'significant landscape feat...
Mar 18, 2005, 16:06
Hi Rhiannon, as we both know Kelston Round hill, I'll tell you a story of something I found up there. One day whilst walking round the path that circles the trees on top, one large tree had fallen over and underneath caught up in its roots was a great mass of stone. Barrow I thought, took a photo as well, but never put it on site because was'nt sure, it left a lovely concave hole. The stones eventually disappeared, I think to help build the walling down below. The stones might have been an 18th folly, something not quite right about the uniformity of size.... But it would have been very fitting if it was a barrow, it would probably have faced the barrow that overlooks the viewpoint about a kilometre away, these bronze age males must have had a supeiroty complex, overlooking their domain; always thought that the sun disc had been placed in this second barrow, as it is west facing and the dead encumbent could have watched it go down over the Welsh hills! Have you seen the small memorial stone placed along the Cotswold Way and very near to the hill, to that young girl who died of an ashma attack whilst out riding her horse all alone.. the farmer who owns the land round there is a poet, and I remember they put up some of his poetry by one of the gates that kept the cattle in....
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index