Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Your favourite 'significant landscape feature'

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Re: Your favourite 'significant landscape feat...
Mar 22, 2005, 10:07
Seriously though, for neolithic landscapes I'm very predictable. I love standing outside West Kennet Long Barrow and looking across to Silbury Hill. When there aren't many people around its peaceful and inspiring. A very contemplative mood can come on, as I'm sure many experience, ...just what were these ancient people up to? Just when we read lots of reports and feel we're getting getting to grips with the past, we have only to stand here and the essential mystery comes flooding back...long may it do so.

I also have a thing about standing at high points and catching glimpses of distant hills behind other features, which makes them ripe for imagination about other untrod lands. Old Winchester Hillfort, Crooksbury Common in Surrey and, particularly, the Temple of the Winds at Blackdown in Surrey looking out across an apparently unspoilt Weald. I've asked Mrs Wild Wooder to scatter my ashes from there, when the time comes of course!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Mar 22, 2005, 10:45
Yes, I know what you mean about the view from WKLB towards Silbury Wild Wooder - it's still often quiet enough up there to sit alone and wonder. I also like taking people there for the first time and watching as the mystery and grandeur of the place slowly seeps over them.
The Eternal
924 posts

Mar 22, 2005, 13:50
I know the fells around Hayewater well. It must have been perfection that night. A bit like the nights our ancestors knew thousands of years ago, with no light pollution.
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Mar 23, 2005, 13:21
Not quite in line with what this site is all about, but I think it's of relevance to many of the comments on this particular forum...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4373207.stm
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 23, 2005, 14:05
It says:
"It is hoped techniques pioneered by the two universities could lead to a tranquillity guide for the whole country."

Book burning isn't the done thing but an exception should be made for that.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 23, 2005, 14:28
thank you all by the way for your thoughts. I'll be using them in some way I assure you.
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Mar 23, 2005, 14:38
I suppose there could be good and bad. Mapping the whole country (I'm sure it'll never happen) would perhaps highlight the importance of preservation of the environment. But on the other hand it could encourage hordes to descend on some of the better landscapes.
Still, I err on the side of positiveness and assume the bulk of the populace don't venture far from their cars in case the umbilical cord gets broken, so a well planned short stroll should still allow the discerning among us to enjoy solitude.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Mar 23, 2005, 22:56
>the bulk of the populace don't venture far from their cars in case the umbilical cord gets broken

Don't and won't. Their loss.

That report talks of the solitude of the Northumberland National Park, which *is* quiet for the most part. But that's largely because the weather is usually cruddy. It's much easier to get a bit of space when the howling gales are driving the rain horizontally. Not exactly peace and quiet though ;)
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Mar 23, 2005, 23:04
I suppose I get the best of the weather - but am always working though. I'm going to post some distraction sites in a few days. They're all real and on the SMR, just not quite at the heart of things. This moonset on April Fool's morning should clip Guinevere's Chair from the Houghton Common circle. I'll get to Charvarigg site if it's fair that night.
treaclechops
treaclechops
378 posts

Re: Your favourite
Mar 24, 2005, 21:51
Strangely enough, it might have been a goat. I was remembering it as a goat, but thought it must surely have been a sheep . . . maybe not. I have got a picture buried deep in my negative file, but really can't be bothered to dig it out . . .

Talking of sheep, have you ever tried the Black Sheep Brewery's <i>'Riggwelter'</i>? It is available bottled ( I think Sainsbury's do it), and occasionally on draught. Yummy. Should you live near Nantwich, what is even yummier is the Paradise Brewery's <i>'Nantwich Ale'</i>. We have recently tried the bottled version - wahay! :o)

Single malt - might have some this evening, actually. Nice drop of complex Ardbeg. Mmm.

treaclechops x
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index