http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/32704

and

The Valley of Rocks

http://www.devon.gov.uk/library/locstudy/sc1650-2.html
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: Your favourite
Mar 21, 2005, 09:48
Beacon Hill when I go home to Amesbury. Also Salisbury plain (when I left school I worked in 'the impact area' - ironically, despite the military activity it is one of the few places you can be alone with nature).
Nowadays, Brent Knoll says 'nearly home' when I head back to Bristol from the west.
treaclechops
treaclechops
378 posts

Re: Your favourite 'significant landscape feat...
Mar 21, 2005, 20:49
Quite so.

Imagine seeing it all for the first the first time on a truly russet, auburn and golden autumn day. Soul-binding, literally.

Clever girl, my Kate! :o)

treaclechops x
treaclechops
treaclechops
378 posts

Mar 21, 2005, 20:52
I remember visiting the Valley of the Rocks on a very wet New Year's Day many many moons ago. Memorable for it's craggy grandeur and two sheep stuck on a ledge. The beer was good - Exmoor Gold, as I recall, and Otter something-or-other.

treaclechops x
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Mar 21, 2005, 22:21
Hi Treaclechops,

Exmoor Gold is a fine cask ale, I aver. Single malt - no additives. :-)

Did you by chance or design get see the primitive feral goats?

http://www.lyntongoats.org.uk/
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Mar 21, 2005, 23:01
If you can call a road a landscape feature then I would chose the B3306 from St Ives to St Just in west Cornwall. Having just returned from that end of the county, it is a must. Any visit to the area has to include a drive along it, regardless of the weather. This weekend we were blessed with blue skies and blue seas, craggy tors and peregrin falcons...

Natural feature of the moment has to be Carburrow Tor on Bodmin Moor. Not the highest or craggiest by a long way but one which once you know where it is keeps popping up in your eye line. Best seen from near Dozmary Pool at sunset during winter months.

Mr H
nicoladidsbury
3 posts

Mar 21, 2005, 23:38
I too love the mountains, love the lakes.
My most memorable night came whilst wild camping up next to Hayes Water, the reservoir above Hartsop.
It way a particularly cold August night, we camped, made food, walked 1/2 way up The Knott, and came down in the dusk.
The evening was incredible; the stars so bright and clear in the sky. So we pulled the sleeping bags out of the tent, and lay under the stars. Hayswater lies in a natural amphitheatre, surrounded on all sides by high mountains, a perfect place for star gazing. The most fantastic meteor shower materialized, shooting star after shooting star fell from the sky. I was rocked to the depth of my soul. The magic of the evening was overwhelming.
Just before midnight, the sky became lighter from the east. We couldn't work out why. A silvery shadow started to creep across the valley bottom, heading closer and closer to the tent. Just as the light hit the tent, the full moon bust over the eastern mountain, High Street. Clear moonlight swamped over us, the majestic beauty will never be forgotten. Excitement and energy buzzed and we were spellbound.
If I could bottle that feeling, I would be rich!

Other favourite landscape places include; Robin Hoods Stride in Derbyshire (where the stones look like gods), Glen Etive Valley, and the Picos mountains in Spain. These places have moved me.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 22, 2005, 07:25
Although I couldn't list my top 20 sites I could probably manage my top 20 landscape feautures, but I'll not bore you with all of them. As well as Knocknarea I have to mention the Dublin Mountains (simply just the north end of the Wicklow Mountains that happen to be in Co. Dublin). Whenever I am on my way home after one of my trips the first sight of them always makes me go gooey.

Also from the top of them you can see Sleive Gullion in northern Ireland and Cader Idris in Wales (on a very, very clear day). Amongst the others, which are mainly mountains, I have to add Sleive Gullion and Howth (the almost-island you pass when entering Dublin by sea).
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 22, 2005, 08:04
From Kelston round hill you can also see some, what I term very old landscapes, neolithic and bronze age. First of all is the Mendips, with bronze age burial grounds, Penn hill with its longbarrow on its flank (still believe this is a significant hill) because the priddy henges are not too far away... Sweeping round, Westbury white horse, with Salisbury plain and the old barrows and iron age forts that crown the ridge behind the white horse, and of course Cley hill in front.
Towards Wales, the Severn estuary, with the Brecon Beacons behind, and if you walk a bit further the pass that leads to Caerwent with Gray Hill circle above. The two great modern bridges that sweep over the estuary, with stones still lying below the road - old trackways were obviously the best! and just to complete the walk, I can look back to Cherhill and the Oldbury monument near to Avebury. All about 30 kilometres distance in a great circle round Lansdown racecourse, or the Great Down as it was once called, to me it has always seemed that neolithic people were in spitting distance of each other and knew exactly what their neighbours were doing.........
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Mar 22, 2005, 09:36
"neolithic people were in spitting distance of each other and knew exactly what their neighbours were doing"

The ghetto instinct has always been with us. Sorry, not PC, call it the herding instinct! Hugenot refugees congregating in Spitalfields in London, English Memsahibs going up to Simla for the hot season etc. etc.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index