Sleeping Beauty

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
follow that cow
follow that cow
277 posts

Re: Devastation in pictures
Jan 02, 2005, 11:42
Personally, I like windmills/windfarms... it makes me feel that we can make things better...if we choose...and that the anti nuclear power demonstrations of the 70's/80's were effective. Maybe, I'm just nostalgic for VW camper vans with ATOMKRAFT, NEIN DANKE! stickers on them.
Who knows?

As to the locals website, we come down to the definition of locals. If we take out all the 'white settlers', 'crazies' and property rich southerners, who will either die without leaving offspring to fill their place, drift away or go bankrupt. The ones who are left, those who were born and bred there and have little economic choice but to live out there lives there, the ones who would like to see a continued, viable society(with children) flourish on the island I'm sure that they cannot afford the luxury of, or even care about the effect that a wind farm will have on the view from Callanish.

I also think that I must point out here that the vast majority of the population of Lewis adhere to the austere beliefs of The Free Chuch of Scotland, a religion at the complete opposite end of the religious spectrum from the beliefs of Earth Goddess as is possible to imagine. These people would see such beliefs as blasphemous and the work of the devil. (Christian services are still carried out to banish satan from Callanish after pagan ceremonies are held there.) And rightly or wrongly we should respect (even if we believe it to be a load of balls) their views..... it is THEIR island.

FTC
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 11:43
Who said I was against all roads?

Sustainable energy does not mean it is environmentally friendly, which is how wind farms are often portrayed/viewed.

Try reading some of the links I posted for real facts and figures, and public opinion from people living with these things, not just government/big business propaganda.

http://www.countryguardian.net/index.htm
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 11:47
Indeed it is their island - but from what I've read many feel they've not been consulted nor given information to make an informed decision.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 11:50
"... Wind, Solar and Wave ..."

Indeed we have these three, but there are problems. Wind power is the only one to harnessed (relatively) effectively so far. Attempts at using wave power have been pathetic - the sea is just too powerful for us right now (as has been demonstrated recently with devastating effects).

Solar power is still woefully inadequate. With current technology you would have to cover the entire surface of the planet twice to provide for the needs of the USA alone. And that's with considerable investment in its development.

What is needed is for the wind farms to provide power locally and not be piped to the cities. Obviously the west coast of Ireland is going to produce far more power than the west coast can consume so some of it will have to be piped away, but the comunities nearest to the sites should be served first.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 12:06
Government propaganda, SBP?
About what?
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 12:06
Apparently the noise made by the turbines can cause health problems.

Will you be living in one of these communities?
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 12:07
Everything I imagine ;-)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 12:32
With any luck one day I will be yes.

We all will. It will be the only way.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 12:35
"Sustainable energy does not mean it is environmentally friendly, which is how wind farms are often portrayed/viewed. "

True, but by it's very definition it means 'more environmentally friendly' than anything we've got in mass use at the moment! And more in this case is better.
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Jan 02, 2005, 12:37
No, it doesn't necessarily mean "more" (wind farms have to be backed up by normal coal-burning power stations) it means "different".
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index