Z Stones alignment

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Moving mountains
Nov 22, 2004, 10:14
"There's no glacial or other explanation for the dells other than that they are 'man-made' "

Possibilities

The Lake District & The Cheviot are two areas of igneous rocks, both areas have been dramatically sculptured by the action of wind, ice and water. So I don't think you can really exclude glaciation.

Glaciation aside, running water + eons of time are enough to erode the most resistant of rock types.
It may be worth checking out the foot of the cliff where the delves occur to see if there is any evidence of running water.

Finally, the sill is an igneous intrusion that forced it's way along the strata of the host rocks. 'The delves' could possibly just be a reflection of the strata that was overlaying the sill but has now been eroded away.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Moving mountains
Nov 22, 2004, 12:50
No, there's no streams on the Sewingshield Crags. Perhaps the lefthand notch, here, is for the Winter Solstice sunrise and the righthand one for the most southerly moonrise. The most that has been written (ever) about megalithic foresights is here - http://www.megalithicsites.co.uk/horast2.html .
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Nov 22, 2004, 15:45
There are more lumps & bumps in Hobs other photo http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/32549
I guess you could devise a horizon calender as were used by the natives of both North & South Americas bgut I'll still plump for a geolological process.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Nov 22, 2004, 17:14
Just to complicate matters further, there's the issue of quarrying. Most of the crags in the area have been had at. Bearing in mind the nasty old wall that was built along the top of the crags, it's not surprising, they needed a lot of stone. The feckers. Then the Victorians had their shot at it too.

I think at least two of the quarried outcrops may have been worked because there were already formations that lent themselves to the easy removal of stone. When you walk along the tops of the crags, there are allsorts of crazy geomorphisms going on.

But when you see the this circle, and it's pal further along the way to the west:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3301
They both seem to be in really awkward places.
I mean, it's a nice area an all, but the exact positioning has to have more complex reasoning than that. Knowing bog all about astroarcheo whathaveyou, I couldn't comment on SLs alignment theories, but I'm fairly convinced that there is some kind of alignment going on at both of these sites. I just dunno what they're aligned to. It could be those notches. Or it could be Queen's crags. Or both, It's beyond me.

(Shouldn't we be getting a thread subversion alert 'round about now?)
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

New Pic (Back on topic)
Nov 22, 2004, 17:52
I took this today.
I also did some panos from each end of the row.
I will try them out in Starry Night later.
http://peteglastonbury.ic24.net/StoneRow.jpg
PeteG
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 22, 2004, 18:08
They're both aligned on the 'King Arthur mystery'. Certainly.

There's a couple of sites to the north, I think, on the edge of what is the forest now.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

New Pic (Back on topic)
Nov 22, 2004, 18:11
Thanks for calling it a row ! I guess the vista must have been over the top of this stone ...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 22, 2004, 18:59
"I guess you could devise a horizon calender as were used by the natives of both North & South Americas bgut I'll still plump for a geolological process."

Are the two exclusive? A fair few sites are built in positions chosen so that a certain event happens over a certain landscape feature. If a site had two events on two features it wouldn't surprise me - obviously the odds get slimmer the more events you add in.

Perhaps one is natural and another added by man or perhaps enhanced to match the other one.

There are endless possibilities. It's just down to actually observing the event and making some allowances for time etc.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 22, 2004, 19:07
There are endless possibilities and what is curious sometimes is how the markers on a horizon line have been used for one purpose, by a community in one direction, and for a completely different purpose by a community viewing the same marker from another direction. See it with curricks in the N. Pennines. The positions of megaliths must have depended on the remembered observations of a couple of thousand years.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Nov 22, 2004, 21:23
There's a nice illustration of a Hopi Indiann horizon calendar here
http://www.tulane.edu/~danny/native.html
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index