The weekend

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

UNFOs
May 20, 2004, 14:55
I’m also reminded of Robert Anton Wilson’s concept of the UNFO – the Unidentified Non-Flying Object. He illustrates this with the example of walking down the street and you think you see someone you recognise, but it turns out it isn’t who you thought. This is your brain latching on to and imposing familiar models on the unfamiliar. Many “supernatural” events can be explained by this process. When we perceive something we don’t recognise or is outside our previous experience, the brain attempts to fit it in with it’s existing models. Sometimes this leads to a misunderstanding of events, as the model does not always tally with “reality”.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: UNFOs
May 20, 2004, 15:31
Have you got any links or more info on this Squid? Sounds interesting.

Good to see you back on this 'ere board again btw.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 20, 2004, 15:31
I mistake strangers for people I know all the time (from a distance, please). It's not always people who are likely to be in that place, it's quite often people who are extremely unlikely to be there.

You definitely see what you expect to see - well, I suppose that's hard to prove in itself isn't it. But how many times have you sworn you 'remembered' the tv remote or your watch 'just there on the table' but it isn't there at all. Can't always be the fairies moving things.

The amount of your field of vision that is actually pin sharp is absolutely tiny (the fovea) - the rest is quite a blur.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

May 20, 2004, 15:43
Thanks KK - I hadn't really "gone away" as such, just reduced my input a bit!

As for Robert Anton Wilson, this is his website:

http://www.rawilson.com/

Squid
x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

May 20, 2004, 15:45
Funny isn't it? We always assume that our perception of things is pretty accurate, but really it's just a sellotaped together collage of models and mis-perception when it comes down to it!
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

May 20, 2004, 15:47
Cheers Squid,

> I hadn't really "gone away" as such, just reduced my input a bit!

Shows you how good my own attentive powers are!
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: The weekend
May 20, 2004, 18:10
thats better, seems to work fine now,
you been tinkering again?
PeteG
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: The weekend
May 20, 2004, 18:11
except I just posted to the other thread and its appeared here! ???
PeteG
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index