The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Fields Recordings From The Sea

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Fields Recordings From The Sea
Apr 20, 2004, 18:55
"Darwinian" yes I suppose so, seems logical to me, more so than the bible.

"Barbarism" just a word used to convay a thought.

"An eye for an eye" one of the better ideas contained in the bible.

"human pshche" I'm just a common chippie, what do I know.
GordonP
474 posts

Re: "slavery outlawed"
Apr 20, 2004, 18:56
Outlawed though
GordonP
474 posts

Apr 20, 2004, 18:57
Just a suggestion about the stones.
Annexus Quamm
13 posts

The Sinking & S.T.A.R.C.A.R.R.
Apr 20, 2004, 18:57
As Fitz somewhere says, the Deluge was real. Not only is Starcarr one of these Mesolithic sits but Ower Bank is in the middle of the North Sea, when Britain was joined to the Continent and folks went up and down in search of prey. Around 5,000 BCE the temperature was even warmer than it is today and it was then that forests spread and there was a general blossoming of plants creating one of the richest ecosystems in the Western Atlantic. Once this happened, there was no more impending need to follow the wild herds, and many Proto-Megalithics began to settle. After all, isn't getting shellfish some sort of proto-farming?
GordonP
474 posts

Apr 20, 2004, 18:59
Don't know, I just know that I personally hide my barbarism under a thin veneer.
Annexus Quamm
13 posts

It Comes In Whispers
Apr 20, 2004, 19:06
And well said! It is a possibility. Shell middens all over the Atlantic can be 50 m long or 20 m wide. Their height reaches 5 m.

BUT in any case I don't see why people do not question the dates in Carrowmore for instance, which date from the 70s and 80s. About 200 monuments are scattered all around that area and it is quite possible that some of them were created before the early Irish adopted farming. In fact, most of the Western Atlantic was slow to adopt it, and it took 1,000 years longer than elsewhere in Europe.

The first Mesolithic (?) graves in Sweden date from around 5,000 BCE.

Portuguese archaeologist M. Calado has for a long time supported the view that the early dates found under the menhirs of Almendres and the other circular structures in Portugal make them centres of pastoralism (i.e. semi-settlers). In fact, after travelling through many areas in the Iberian peninsula, France or Wales for instance, I find it REALLY hard to believe that these ultra-rocky places were ever suitable for anything other than pastoralism.

Even these days, they are still not too prone to farming.
Annexus Quamm
13 posts

Suckling At The Teat
Apr 20, 2004, 19:12
There is ONE very important factor that must not be forgotten - the environment.

Not everyone adopted farming around the world for the same reasons and at the same time. The question why some did was, I strongly believe, almost entirely environmental. It is possible that people settled first where conditions (abundant supplies) were excellent, then the areas became occupied and organized (like Salisbury Plain in the Mesolithic to mention a familiar example), and finally population growth was so rapid that food became scarce.

Also, what I mentioned at the end of the first post about the excess of salt is true. At some stage in prehistory, an excess of salt in the sea decimated the population of shellfish on the coasts, which may have forced people to join the farming bandwagon.
Annexus Quamm
13 posts

In This Slaveship
Apr 20, 2004, 19:16
I support the view that farming meant hard work, the end of the Eden. Contemporary research among tribes in hard places like the Kalahari desert (and elsewhere) show that even under such extreme conditions, they need about 2-3 hours a day for the gathering alone, and even then, they only use a quarter of all the plants available!

When farming arrived, people had to work about 10 hours a day, including the separate gathering FOR the animals they domesticized!!
Annexus Quamm
13 posts

Wined And Dined
Apr 20, 2004, 19:22
I have sat, meditated, wined and dined on the holes, they are one of my fave places in the Salisbury Plain, a minimalistic Totemic Beauty on the Plain that is far superior to Stonehenge ca 2,000 BCE. By that I meant Stonehenge III or IV, the trilithon extravagance / Power trip that makes it famous, though I wasn't sure of the numbers, so I referred to Bronze Age Stonehenge as Stonehenge-ca-2,000-BCE, i.e. the Anomaly.

Then again, I have raved about them on this site as the First Monumental thang in Prehistory. Doesn't that lift the Mesolithics as the first monumentalists? Standing stones? Why not Standing Logs? Most of East Anglia may well attribute its lack of stones to an abundance of woodhenges everywhere, like in Stanton Drew.
GordonP
474 posts

Re: In This Slaveship
Apr 20, 2004, 19:33
I agree
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index