Yellow Gloss Paint all over the Rollrights

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 03, 2004, 07:56
I am utterly lost for words, so I growl and rage!

Moth picked me up from Heathrow last night and sensibly told me only once I had a cup of coffee and a fag in hand. Moth and me going up to the Rollrights shortly to assess the damage for ourselves.

The Rollrights ARE The Epicentre of my Life and if I could just get hold of the bollocks of the guy/guys who did this I would rip them off with my teeth. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Mrs Angry of Oxford
x

PS Cyprus was great! Kalavassos Tenta neolithic village - Rock n Roll! (Had to climb over a spiky fence to get in but was it ever worth it! Rock cut chambers by the runway at RAF Akrotiri - fab! and rock cut tombs at Agios Ermitoudou near Episkopi - wonderous!!! And it was meant to be a work trip!)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 03, 2004, 08:05
Just calm down Mrs A. You've painted the Rollrights lots of times yourself.

What time will you be there?
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Apr 03, 2004, 08:20
Is there an army base near to these stones ?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Apr 03, 2004, 08:31
Think we'll be there at around 10. U coming? (You can come back to J's for a cup of warm bovril to warm yer ole bones.) We'll give ye a ring in a min. Don't forget yer HA badge.... (Ahem.)

Anyone else coming?

And BG, no there's no army base particularly close - why? Whatya thinking?

love

(The Real) Moth
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Apr 03, 2004, 09:04
Remember Gary Denke, the mediaeval dentist ? aka Dark Energy ? He had a martial 'bearing'. (It's that missing paint tin - it shows forethought). I'm thinking I've got about a month to get fit - better lay some flags !
broen
broen
204 posts

Apr 03, 2004, 09:35
why yellow? was it Coldplay
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Apr 03, 2004, 10:01
Maybe, just as a precaution, we should go and kick Coldplay's arses and make sure they never make any more or their dreary, self-indulgent, pappy pop crap ever again. As a precaution. And Will Young, while we're at it. Just as an example to others. Oh, and any of these so-called "R'n'B" (was that not an entirely different kind of music once upon a time?) "artists".

I'll get me coat and bugger off to Unsung... ;o)

G
x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jane,
Apr 03, 2004, 15:00
Jane, your words in your weblog

"Although this 'Shock, Horror' vandalism, coming so suddenly and so graphically to our attention baffles us, how is it -ultimately- any different to the sneaky ploughing, the metal detectoring, the chip-chip-chipping away at our ancient heritage that happens unnoticed every day of every year...?"

just about hits it on the button. We're doing a Rollrights here and there every single day in this short-sighted valueless culture of ours and the terrible thing is that every backwards step is totally irrevocable. If anybody hasn't yet joined Heritage Action they bloody well should. It probably won't stop mindless vandals but it might stop some of the calculating ones.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Also Jane,
Apr 03, 2004, 15:10
Could I suggest that you put the two paragraphs below the picture of Moth and Nigel into a fieldnote posting for the site and just include it in your weblog? It really deserves to be on that page for all to see! Your call obviously, but I think it would serve a better purpose if it appears there too :-)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Jane,
Apr 03, 2004, 15:15
There is a difference, by the way. The difference actually makes no difference, but it's there. This was a mindless attack with no clear purpose (yet). The ploughing has the purpose of growing enough food for a burgeoning population - whether you like the effect or not. Metal-detectoring is (on the whole) about getting rich (visit Vegas folks the odds are better!)

This seems to have been the actions of one rather disturbed person - or a group of them, which is actually far more worrying. Question is: was it an attack on the Rollrights or an attack on the stones in general - Is there more to come?

By the gods I hope not!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index