Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Re: BBC TV report
Apr 01, 2004, 18:50
This is just awful.

Karin (from the Rollright Trust) has made a more detailed post to the Stones Mailing List, which I have added to the news article here:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/26123
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Yellow Gloss Paint all over the Rollrights
Apr 01, 2004, 22:38
Wot is there to say...?

I am SOOO not looking forward to telling Jane about this when she gets back from Cyprus and I pick her up from Heathrow tomorrow night. (I deliberately haven't told her by txt or phone.)

For those who don't know, she reckons the Rollrights mark the centre of her world - having grown up in Stratford on Avon and settled in Oxfordshire. It's one of the most important places in her life....

love

Moth
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Apr 02, 2004, 00:20
I don't understand. . it's not the usual 'mindless vandalism' is it?. I walked past a shattered bus shelter on my way back from the pub in Wolverhampton only tweny minutes ago. . But an ancient stone circle in the middle of the country?
It takes effort and planning and travel to do something like this. . I would realy love to know the *why* here . .
. . why want to ruin an old circle of stones?
I'd happily pay towards a reward to find the who & why behind this.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

IF
Apr 02, 2004, 00:30
we ever find out who did this I think we should leave them inside the circle with Karen & Jane for an evening,
PeteG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 02, 2004, 06:49
Myself and Holy McGrail were talking about how Jane would react to this last night.

I do not envy your task ...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 02, 2004, 06:54
Sometimes you can accept a 'bit' of stupidity, a bit of vandalism through boredom etc. (like bus shelters etc.) One stone could be put down to some little oik "havin' a larf" (still unfor-fucking-givable! but at least you could blame society etc.) This wasn't boredom. This was purely mallicious.

Reminds me of the Napalming incidents awhile back ...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Cleaning it up
Apr 02, 2004, 07:25
Since it's happened before elsewhere, and sadly may happen again, it would be good if there was a known procedure for dealing with it. Judging by discussions on Britarch there are various possible techniques.

But in particular, and without claiming any technical knowledge, I can't help thinking that if this was found very quickly whilst it was still wet then very low pressure hosing down by the fire brigade might have removed the lot without affecting the lichen. Just depends on the particular type of gloss paint involved.

Don't know if that's right, but EH ought to develop an action plan for such things in conjunction with paint manufacturers.
lobsterboy
lobsterboy
54 posts

Re: Cleaning it up
Apr 02, 2004, 09:37
An action Plan -
1. find the feckers
2. prod them with sticks
3. repeat 2 till you get bored

It may be a little difficult to come up with a plan as it must depend on the type of paint used, unless they left the tin behind you would have to work that out first.
Getting the stuff of could be by Heat, chemicals, high pressure jetting or scraping - none if them sound like they would do the stones much good. Good luck to whoever has to deal with this.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Apr 02, 2004, 10:08
Thanks 4W! Havta say, I'm not looking forward to it! (Telling her that is!)

Wouldn't mind so much (well, yes I would!) but it's sposed to be a happy reunion after a full 2 weeks apart (seems a lot to us!!!).

Wonder if the BASTARDS knew how much some people love them ole rox & how much upset they'd cause.

love

Moth
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Yellow Gloss Paint all over the Roll
Apr 02, 2004, 16:05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/3593003.stm
the Beeb have an online article about it
PeteG
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index