Stonehenge »
Stone shifting 5

143 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: All up in the air again...
Sep 18, 2003, 01:17
“But if they used a crib for the lintels then why should they not have used them for the uprights?” Maybe they did. It’s a 50% call, without evidence. The BBC didn’t call it that way, and we ought to know if that was pure chance or evidence-based.

It’s probably not the moment for me to be justifying the ramp, but since you brought it up the ramp only has to be stone-width, plus the fulcrum logs, and the rowers can be easily accommodated on simple wooden slopes well away, or they might be able to stay low to an extent, I don’t know.

I also just don’t know whether this is wrongly extrapolated evidence (3 mentions and some shading on a map is all I’ve seen) or why, if it isn’t, you’d think the whole exercise wasn’t worthwhile. I didn't think it mattered which way it turned out.

About finding an expert - as you say it will probably depend who we ask, and if they disagree then fair enough we have to take a line, but surely it's worth making sure we aren't about to do something that EVERY expert disagrees with? As I now seem to be thought to be of the Chalk Ramp Party (quite wrongly actually, as I've tended to think rowing up a low log ramp felt good, so this evidence may confound my ideas too) I'm probably not the one to check it out. If no-one else thinks it's worthwhile then the issue will peter out.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index