Stone shifting 5

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Call to Arms
Sep 14, 2003, 22:58
I am compiling a list of interested parties. If you feel you have something to contribute to the Stonehengineers project then please email me with details.

[email protected]

My list at present comprises Gordon, Nigel, Wotan, Baza and, of course, me. Others have expressed an interest, but if I don't have your email address then you're not on the list.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Hole Profiles
Sep 14, 2003, 23:26
Nigel, in all the confusion of a new thread, I forgot to comment on the sterling work you have been doing on the analysis of the holes.

One thing, which seems fairly obvious, is that if the outer sarsens originally formed a complete circle, then either the trilithons were erected before them or at least part of the circle would have had to be dismantled and re-erected in order to get the trilithon stones inside. I don't suppose that this would have been such a big deal for them to do, but it's all extra work and may be a small argument in our favour.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Stonehengineers Web Site
Sep 14, 2003, 23:38
I should be able to look at the editorial stuff in time for that, depending what the deadlines are for HTMLing etc. I can't start on it until next Monday or Tues, remember, but it shouldn't take long...(famous last words).

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Hole Profiles
Sep 15, 2003, 07:54
Damn good point. In fact a strong pointer to the possibility of alien involvement!
In fact, EH don't seem to have considered this "logistical" stuff in their dating studies. If I had another lifetime I might be tempted to look at doing a paper suggesting they relocated the bluestone settings several times specifically because they were in the way of subsequent construction works.

But for our purposes, we'll keep clear of any new theories, for obvious reasons. One utterly audacious hypothesis is quite enough!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Hole Profiles
Sep 15, 2003, 07:59
Talking of audacious hypotheses, I mentioned the project to one of the Neanderthals who said, between sips of beer
"they put it on a sledge, waited till Winter, built a ramp out of snow and pulled it up that"....
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Call to Arms
Sep 15, 2003, 08:27
Hi, folks

It's been pointed out that my last statement:
"If I don't have your email address then you're not on the list", might sound a little abrasive. Be assured that was not my intention.

Quite a few people have expressed an interest in participating, but I don't have contact details for them.

The project is beginning to shift from a TMA discussion to rather more specific activities that need to be coordinated. To avoid cluttering up TMA with the details of these activities, I propose to form an independent automatic email distribution list. We would like everyone who is interested in participating in whatever capacity (even just interested bystanders) to be on the list, so they don't miss out on anything.

I'm sure the topic will continue to be discussed on TMA, but perhaps in less detail, which might be considered a blessing by some ;^)

You can now email me at:

[email protected]

How 'bout that?!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Call to Arms
Sep 15, 2003, 09:51
Your email address looks really good Steve. I want a business card saying Nigel, Project Poet for The Stonehengineers...

So that we have some sort of a structure can I suggest we regard Gordon as having the final say on the project (for obvious reasons), Steve having a directing and co-ordinating role, with a casting vote (as he has the website and the engineering nouse), and each of the rest of us can volunteer to be in charge of our own bit and everyone on the circulation list, whether directly involved or not, can form a consultative committee and make comments/suggestions on everyone else’s proposals?
Actually, it might work if the more interesting bits of the circulation details were also posted on TMA so the issues were given the widest possible airing.
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Logo Agogo
Sep 15, 2003, 11:54
1st draft on its way LMK !
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Out of the mouths of Neanderthals
Sep 15, 2003, 12:04
Using frozen ground as an aid for moving the stones has been mooted several times in the past.

It especially ties in with doing the work during the winter months when farming activity would have been at a low.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Out of the mouths of Neanderthals
Sep 15, 2003, 13:36
Snow/ice will certainly reduce the friction on the stone and therefore make it easier to drag. However, there are two downsides: firstly, there is less braking friction, so the stone is harder to control on slopes and secondly, the friction under the feet of the haulers will be reduced by a similar amount (I haven't heard of any Bronze Age crampons being discovered) ;o). A ramp woul dhave to be constructed from solid ice blocks. I don't think heaped up snow would be strong enough for a 40 tonner.

Nice idea, though.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index