DOWSING

117 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Leyed back
Sep 11, 2003, 08:27
I'm not a fan of ley lines myself - and very cynical and skeptical too, but i'm open minded and imaginative at the same time. I tried dowsing as having seen old geezers on tv with bits of twig whirling about for no apparent reason, I thought it was all cobblers, but then as I grew older and became more interested in science and also archaeology the two paths crossed as I learnt of people dowsing from maps and also detecting mysterious energies etc at ancient sites. Immediately, the empirical side of my nature said it couldn't work and it was, as I suspected, cobblers. Naturally, I had to know, being too inquisitive for my own good. Having read T.C Lethbridge some time previously, I elected to try a pendulum as Lethbridge seemed to have a similar mindset to my own - declaring the whole thing scientifically unsound, but willing to look into it. His books detail a whole load of how-to info on dowsing, so I thought it would be straightforward. I gave it a go, trying to find basic elements like iron, copper, water etc - even to placing objects and trying to get a response. Nothing. Bugger all. Nowt. Ha - said skeptical me - its officially cobblers. Then I met a lady who looked after an elderly gentleman who was an experienced and resolute dowser who had worked in farming using his skills to great effect analysing soil conditions and a plethora of other material matters. He suggested reading Tom Graves Dowsers Workbook and also Needles of Stone, both of which suggest a scientific basis to dowsing - even though they do go deeply into Ley Line country. Consequently, I acquired a pair of angle rods and have been using them since - and with ridiculously reliable results. Water divining is easy, and by holding a sample in one hand at the same time as a rod - say an iron nail - then i can detect similar traces with 70-90% accuracy. I cant say I've found dragon energy or feng shui chi coursing through my back garden or detected a buried recumbent in the fields surrounding the house, but I can catagorically say that the technique works - for me at least. Even though the whole thing does draw its fair share of mockery. So the reason I keep flagging it up here, is not for its New Age value or bandwagonism, but purely as a physical and 'scientific' effect in relation to the earth which can be demonstrated as easily as showing an american tourist Stonehenge.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index