Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: No, but really...
Sep 10, 2003, 12:31
>'and I’ll take the damn thing on me back'

Boy, you really are up for it, aren't you, you lovely fat, self-confessed bastard! We love you too.
Swingingly
J
x
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Stone Rowing: remember that?
Sep 10, 2003, 12:40
"Eg. the 4 logs.
"Do we drag them, and if so, how long will they stand up to it?"

No, we get them delivered by lorry. After that we pick them up and carry them from the back to the front of the stone each time it has moved by a full log's length. If we are moving a 10 ton stone there will be at least 10 of us to carry the logs.

"Should they be a bit flattened?"

I can't see that flattening would serve any useful purpose.

"Should they be a bit angled at front and/or rear?"

No, the stone should never slide over the logs, it gets picked up and put down again a bit further forward.

"How do we fix the rope? Drill them?"

Which rope would that be? You're not thinking about the "rollocks" suggestion are you?
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 13:00
Hey, Goffik, we'll only make you carry it on your back as a last resort, but if you're the fat bastard that you claim to be, then you ought to be just what we need on the end of a lever. Or maybe we can use you instead of a lintel to anchor the rope. ;^)

I liked your ":oP" smiley. I haven't seen that one before. Would you call it a "raspberry smiley"? You can do it to the left or the right with P or b; cool.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 13:12
OK, all my questions were based on the assumption they'd need dragging, hence wear and tear, ropes etc. If you're going to carry them (and I use the term you in the sense of not me) that's very nice and simple.
Actually, it'll be 8 we need, minimum, won't it?

What about if we're on a transverse slope? Any chance of the logs rolling? Do we need chocks?

Yes, I'd sussed out about the lorry!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 16:16
Oops! I seem to have broken this thread! Sorry!

That :oP raspberry emoticin, I'm afraid I can't claim credit for... :o(

I just got a rollocking off Nat for nicking it! Heh! I'll sort out the copyright infringement details with her Friday (cost=1 pint, I believe?)

But as long as we're all happy and sorted, I'll leave this thread to the experts.

Have a lovely day, all!

G
x
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 16:23
Yup, don't think I've seen anyone use it nearly as much as the lovely Nat - always makes me think of her....

(Not sure she invented it however!)

Glad we're all happily talking bollocks again!

love

M
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: :oP
Sep 10, 2003, 16:25
I don't think she invented it either, but love the girl so dearly that I am appy to believe anything she says!

Bollocks rulez!

G
x
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 17:14
OK, if we go up a hill, we go straight up it. No fannying about with cross-falls.

You're quite right, of course, it would be a problem to deal with logs rolling away on a cross-fall. Also, half of the team would have it easy while the other half have a bigger load to lift. I think the ancients would have surveyed the route fairly carefully in advance to avoid such problems.
GordonP
474 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 21:30
Definitatly straight uphills, travassing is a no no. 1 in 8 is no problem, Steve could probably tell you what the limit is, I haven't got a clue without a means of trial and error.

I am confident we'll get the OK from the museum for trials (should know after the next board meeting end of this month) but just in case maybe we should have a plan B.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Sep 10, 2003, 23:08
I'm keen to get going with this. I'm away for a week from Oct 18th to 25th and I would hate to miss all the action.

I think stone-rowing has to be the first thing we do. We must establish that as THE primary idea. The erection thing can then follow on as our "next" application of stone-rowing. Stone-rowing is going to bowl them over in a way that erecting a stone will not. Our ideas for stone erecting may be seen as controversial and it would be a huge pity for the beauty and simplicity of stone-rowing to be lost in the ensuing confusion. Once we have stone-rowing "in the bag", we will have gained some credibility that will help us enormously when it comes to erecting.

So here are a couple of alternative ideas:

Plan B: I don't think there's any law against stone-rowing on public land ;^). Does anyone know of a stone that's just lying on the ground somewhere suitable so we could row it around and then put it back where we found it? It would have to be one that has no archaeological interest and it needs to be near some suitable hills. There must be something in the Peak District or the Lake District that we could use. There are some big pieces of stone below the escarpment of Roseberry Topping (look it up on TMA) and the land around has a wide variety of slopes. I'll try to check it out at the weekend.

Plan C: If we could get someone to deliver a 10 tonner to some public place in the Derbyshire dales (or anywhere else for that matter) we could row away to our heart's content. We might have to pick the stone up and take it away again so we don't get done for littering. Do you know any friendly builder's merchants in the area with a HIAB? Even if we had to pay them £50 or so, it would be worth it. They might be persuaded to do it on a Sunday if we give the driver a bit extra. If it's just a case of the money, I'll send you a cheque, Gordon.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index