Stone Shifting

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Stone Shifting
Aug 15, 2003, 15:10
Ah, the 'sidewise' or 'shuffling'(?) concept is what I was not sure about I think.

Reckon I understand now & also reckon it's very sensible. It'd still take an absolutely BONKERS amount of time though!!!!

love

Moth
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 15:13
but perception of time is a pretty relative thing - if it would take you a day to move a stone 25 yards by all pushing together, then moving it that distance in half-an-hour would seem pretty nifty

you would only think it was slow if you knew that if you could chuck it on a lorry you could shift it 40 miles in that half-an-hour

like his style

RG
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 15:34
Very true - I wasn't using it as an argument against him, it was just a comment.

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 17:38
I think he was implying they'd have a trackway, comprising crosswise logs. If it worked at all you could imagine them getting pretty nifty, with half a dozen "oars" working in synch each side.. press down, step back, let go, step forward, repeat. And a team of track layers picking up left-behind logs and putting them in front. Six inches per half minute? 200 yards a day?
GordonP
474 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 18:52
Hi Nigel Swift
Glad you liked my site, I think 900 yards a day would be easy enough. maybe more with practise.
GordonP
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 20:27
Hi Gordon! Glad you made it. Thank heaven's no-one slagged you off!

900 yards in a day - how many people do you calculate that would be?
GordonP
474 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 20:58
Hi Nigel
Thanks for the vote of confidence, remember I'm just a dumb carpenter the people who built Stonehenge where experts at moving stones (they lived in the stoneage) regarding your question how many? I reckon as few as 40 men could move a 40 ton stone, however many hands make light work. With more manpower the fulcrum logs can be positioned further away from the stone resulting in more distance gained with each lift. A lot more work needs to be done to find the best solution.
Regards Gordon
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 22:04
Gordon,
I never met a dumb carpenter!

“fulcrum logs!? Movable, placed longitudinally do you mean? And we were wondering how the levers got under the stone. I suppose if you left gaps between the cross logs, that would do it, or were you thinking of something else?

“40 men could move a 40 ton stone”… blimey, that certainly would make all the other attempts to replicate stone-moving look a bit puny. Sounds like you should organize a race! Better still, they’re hoping to lift an Avebury stone next year, using “villager power”. I don’t suppose they’d let you mess with a real stone but it would be a perfect occasion for you to do a demo with a block.

I reckon you’ve really hit gold with this.

Do you think cursuses were stoneracing tracks?!
;)
GordonP
474 posts

Aug 15, 2003, 22:30
Hi again Nigel
Yea, four logs longitudinally, two to rest the stone on, two for fulcrums.
(Have another look at the photos on the site)

In theory as few as four men can move a stone of forty tons.(not far though)

Regarding Avesbury, given a chance I'll have a go at owt.

PS only a dumbhead would ask!!! What are cursuses?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 01:50
Comic genius nigelswift...comic genius - no sarcasm!

(Sure this a half-arsed definition Gordon, but a cursus is an embanked path or possibly ritual processionway often associated with henges or other pre-H stuff.)

love

Moth
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index