Stone Shifting

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Yay!
Aug 16, 2003, 18:58
One of your options would be to get the local council to buy a nice modern dolmen off you for a roundabout :-)

Trouble is you'd never get public liability insurance :-(
GordonP
474 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 18:58
Just had another thought for what its worth. We could set up the project as a business, Raise the capital from among shareholders, film the whole project, then sell the film on the net. It might work.
Regards Gordon
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 19:03
Good idea, even sell the film to a TV station. I'm sure there's enough talent around willing to lend a hand, or invest time. Have you correlated any of your theories with archaeological evidence? It would be interesting to see if the method left any traces behind, for instance, using outer-'rails' of logs built onto low parallel banks to give extra height for leverage? (wish I had an online pencil!)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 19:09
If you wanted to give the most convincing demo possible to the archaeos who've been so dismissive to you, it would be great if you could use a natural sarsen stone. I'm sure there are areas where these occur but which wouldn't be considered significant. That would be so in line with the tastes of people here, as well.
I'm sure a farmer would be delighted to let us shift one of his stones for free, and perhaps set it up on top of a small hill? It would be the Modern Antiquarian Gordon Stone, and would be there forever!!!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 19:10
Bloody marvellous idea. :-)
GordonP
474 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 19:25
Like the thought of being imortalised, will it hurt?
Your dead right though Nigel a proper sarsen stone would be best.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 19:33
A natural nobbly bobbly sarsen would probably behave slightly differently to a cuboid block which has equal weight distribution.

It certainly would be interesting.
GordonP
474 posts

Aug 16, 2003, 20:38
Hi Morfe
Great idea, TV, only trouble is I've been trying that route for years, without academic backing or a track record they are just not interested.
Regards Gordon
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Yay?
Aug 16, 2003, 20:47
I've got no idea of what Julian thinks about stuff like this, but I'm just VAGUELY wondering whether he'd be interested. If he was, I also wonder if his name or endorsement or whatever would help with publicity or fundraising etc....

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Yay?
Aug 16, 2003, 21:22
The thing is, what would we be trying to do - prove a point, make a mint, make a film, or what? So far as I’m concerned, if we could prove that a 10 ton stone could be moved really easily by just a few people it would be such a big deal and I’d be so pleased just to be there when it was done.

Wouldn’t the best thing be to try it on a limited scale first? If the stone was free and we could chat up the forestry commission or whoever to deliver us some de-barked logs or telegraph poles or whatever Gordon wants then there wouldn’t be much initial cost at all. If it worked, and we could show a film company or a uni archaeol department they’d be falling over themselves to buy into it and we could get all the extra timber we needed to try to set the stone upright. That way, we’d be in control and wouldn’t have to do it in the nude to increase the ratings…!

We might even be in a position to dictate financial terms, and Gordon would get a nice little profit.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index