Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

"Locals"
Apr 22, 2003, 22:24
Hi Scotty,

Seem to recall that the 'locals' you mention got taken to court a year or two back for trying to block access to this one. They're only 'local' if by 'local' you mean from around 250 miles south of Fife. They lost, and the right of way was re-established in court. There's a bit of a story attached to this stone, but I'm blowed if I can recall it off the top of my head. I'll dig around and post it if I can find the reference! Nice one anyway, the MacDuffs were Thains of Fife (one of the 7 Thains) and held the right to crown the Ard Righ. Believe it was one of their wives did the business for the Bruce as her husband was otherwise engaged in a cell somewhere south of Fife at the time.
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

Re: "Locals"
Jun 15, 2003, 09:16
ScootY,

Finally found the references to this and posted them under 'Miscellaneous'. Two newspaper articles about the argument over the path's right of way status. Established as a right of way so access is assured!
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: path rights
Jun 15, 2003, 09:37
Hi megaracs
This story makes me feel like walking the path just to annoy the new locals ;-)
Have you??

.o0O0o.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jun 15, 2003, 17:51
Nick mate,
can you drop us a line to [email protected]
It's work related so I don't wanna bore the forum
cheers
Fitz
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

Jun 15, 2003, 20:44
Yes indeed - just after the stories were published, but didn't take my camera. Nobody about as I trundled noncholantly past, just looking for an good argument! Haven't been over there (only about 13 miles away from me) since then, but I think it's a distinct possibility I may swing by fairly soon!

Like the new name by the way - and if that stone of yours is Scottish, then the megaraks demand its return - haw haw haw! And not 700 years late like the Scone Abbey cess pit lid.....
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

Jun 15, 2003, 20:45
OK, should be in your mailbox in 5 mins or so.....
hamish
hamish
179 posts

Jun 16, 2003, 18:23
We have this problem in Scotland with obscenely wealthy folks buying up great chunks of the land.They then put up trespassers will be prosecuted signs,no trespass law in Scotland,then cannot understand why folks ignore them.I have been shot at when crossing an estate, owned by an Arab Sheik,by his Anglo factor.The law states that you may cross land as long as you do no damage and do not squat.
Legislation is being looked at to curb these land owners.

H.
AtomicMutton
AtomicMutton
104 posts

Make your own path rights
Jun 16, 2003, 20:17
and as you were posting this message I was deep undercover in enemy territory. Taking photographs of a 40 metre wide by eight or nine high, probably Neolithic, burial cairn. It's nearly all gone now - for roadstone - but I got the pictures. I wasn't spotted until nearly threequarters the way back to basecamp, at around eleven.

Got threatened by four burly keepers this afternoon. "Just go on and beat me up". But they didn't and I got the camera and film home. Write something for Private Eye now and bother the sad - absolutely pathetic - English Nature and County Archaeology offices. The keepers will let my guy ropes down and my tents will be full of water when I get back. Let's hope that's all it is.

As I sat taking a rest at the top of a steep moorland hill, yesterday, an old male buzzard came and hovered above me and we keened to each other. He had a gap in the feathers of one wing where he'd taken a shot from a keeper's gun. The large birds of prey are more true than most people I know.

Sorry about that - tell me it's not so ...
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

Jun 16, 2003, 21:05
Thig ur latha, Hamish - thig ur latha!
hamish
hamish
179 posts

Jun 17, 2003, 14:55
A bheil a fios agaibh cuine a bheil sin ? Nick.

H.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index