Register
Unsung Forum »
brian eno

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
242 posts

brian eno
Jan 27, 2003, 01:42
A few people started talking about Eno in the listening to music thread, so I thought he deserved a thread of his own. Got to be one of my fav artists as I'm always saying on this website.
Fav 70's albums: Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy, Another Green World, Before and After Science.
Fav 80's albums: Ambient 4 (particularly) - On Land, Ambient 2 and Apollo.
Fav 90's stuff is Neroli and Nerve Net.
His collaborations are also worth checking out - my personal fav is My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.
Let us not forget his work as a producer with the likes of Bowie - my favs being Low and Outside. Did he work on Earthling? Then there's his work with Talking Heads including Fear of Music and Remain in Light. I prefer to ignore the likes of U2 and James myself.
He was of course in Roxy Music's 1st 2 albums which I think were their best. Not overly fond of Music for Airports or Thursday Afternoon, but I dare say people will disagree( like severin)
elderford
482 posts

Re: eno
Jan 27, 2003, 10:09
801 Live is good with the definitive version of Miss Shapiro on it.

Ambient 1: Music for Airports rocks in an ambient sort of way

Remain in Light: talking heads is the companion piece to My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

most bizarre is with Kevin Ayers on Lady June's Linguistic Leprosy (1974, island)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Here Come The Warm Jets
Jan 27, 2003, 11:06
If only for On Some Faraway Beach
elderford
482 posts

Re: Here Come The Warm Jets
Jan 27, 2003, 11:35
...i'd lie like a baby
elderford
482 posts

Jan 27, 2003, 11:41
apologies, isn't it "die like a baby"?

just brings up an appalling image of a newborn baby lying helpless on a deserted beach, which i'm sure isn't the original intention.

...i'll get me coat.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 27, 2003, 11:53
Something mildly diverting on Eno lyrics
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/HCTWJlyrics.html
It's the alternative hearings and reference points for stuff that crack me up:
"A Lilo is a small inflatable for use on swimming pools."
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Some of them are old
Jan 27, 2003, 12:46
I love the lyrics to this song. Almost worthy of Saint Syd...

"People come and go
And forget to close the door,
And leave their stains and cigarette butts trampled on the floor,
And when they do, remember me, remember me.

Some of them are old,
Some of them are new,
Some of them will turn up when you least expect them to,
And when they do, remember me, remember me.

Lucy you're my girl,
Lucy you're a star,
Lucy please be still and hide your madness in a jar,
But do beware: it will follow you, it will follow you.

Some of them are old
But it would help if you could smile,
To earn a crooked sixpence you'll walk many a crooked mile,
And when you do, remember me, remember me."
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: brian eno
Jan 27, 2003, 14:22
Brian Eno - yes, one of Britain's great originals, and not a bad producer either. For me, his definitive albums are the first in each of his two chosen genres: 'Here Come The Warm Jets' as a representation of his weird 'pop' (I use the term very loosely) style, and 'Discreet Music' (side one only) as an example of his ambient material at its simplest and best. Everything he's done since has basically rehashed the ideas on those two epochal releases.

Of the collaborations, 'No Pussyfooting' and 'Evening Star' with Robert Fripp stand out. I've never been able to get excited about his work with Bowie however.

I wouldn't be without the 'Seven Deadly Sins' 45 either - check out Seth's great review in 'Unsung' for further info.

I don't mean to imply that Eno's done nothing worthwhile since 1975 - it's just that, for me, he's just retrod old ground since then. There are still loads of good things in his subsequent output, but lots of extremely boring stuff as well. Avoid 'Tuesday Afternoon' with your life.

DW
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

'idiot energy'
Jan 27, 2003, 16:03
23, I saw your comment on the 'listening to music' thread, so thought I should explain. Eno is to me what Syd is to cHARLIE*, and I assume everyone knows all the Eno minutiae I do sometimes. Anyway, this quote from an interview with Lester Bangs puts it into context...

"(...) Everybody [...] should be excited to hear that in the album he's working on now he's returned to what he calls the "idiot energy" of his first album and the dancehall classic "Baby's on Fire."

Eno used the description to classify loud, visceral tracks like 'Blank Frank' etc before the word 'Punk' was being used, basically.

As far as my opinion on Eno goes. I'm so full of admiration for the guy that it's impossible to say something without launching into a huge long waffle.

Suffice to say that someone who has worked with rock-dinosaur-juniors U2 for extra-curricular cash and still managed to keep their credibility deserves some respect.

Modern music would sound very different if Eno hadn't done what did (and still does). Mind you he wouldn't do what he does if it hadn't been for people like John Cage and Holger Czukay inspiring him and getting there first with many of the ideas now credited to Eno.

Oh, and what's wrong with you people that don't like Thursday Afternoon? It's gorgeous! The first commercially available made-for-CD 60 minute track, a vernacular version of Morton Feldman's static-but-perpetually-moving music. Lush as fuck. I agree with everyone's suggestions of what constitutes Eno classics, but two more recent records of his that I think are unsung are Spinner (w/ Jah Wobble), and The Drop.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

eno
Jan 27, 2003, 16:10
>
> As far as my opinion on Eno goes. I'm so full
> of admiration for the guy that it's impossible
> to say something without launching into a
> huge long waffle.
>
the very reason i decided to avoid this thread :-)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index