brian eno

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: eno
Jan 27, 2003, 17:10
OK, OK. So I DID launch into a waffle anyway, but hey, I couldn't help meeself!
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

production credits
Jan 27, 2003, 18:28
"Let us not forget his work as a producer with the likes of Bowie - my favs being Low and Outside."

Eno commonly gets credited with producing Bowie's Berlin trilogy but the producer was in fact Tony Visconti.

"Did he work on Earthling?"

No.

And I agree with whoever defended THURSDAY AFTERNOON, it's a beaut.

No one's mentioned his terrific collaborations with Harold Budd and Jon Hassell. And Cluster!
242 posts

Re: production credits
Jan 28, 2003, 00:30
well lets just say he significantly contributed to the Berlin trilogy then. He has songwriting credits on some doesn't he?. I still find Thursday Afternoon insipid and wished I didn't own it
242 posts

Re: 'idiot energy'
Jan 28, 2003, 00:33
And there was me thinking that I came up with the phrase! I'm sure I said something simliar. I think I said dada glam punk pop. Glad to be enlightened though.
242 posts

Re: Some of them are old
Jan 28, 2003, 00:38
you're absolutely right there. Can't remember lyrics in that much detail unfortunately, but I like the lyrics to blank frank and driving me backwards (my favs off Here come the Warm jets). The lyric that always sticks in my mind is one off the tiger mountain album - There's a place in the orchard where noone dare go, the last one that went there turned into a crow. Brilliantly childlike. Then there's that lyric off before and after science - Ooh what to do in a tiny canoe. It tickles me everytime I hear it anyway accompanied by the music
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: last eno and bowie
Jan 28, 2003, 02:49
As far as I know they last worked together on Bowie's Outside album in 95. Many songs are co written.
The album is my favourite from his recent stuff.

I recently downloaded a song called "A small plot of land" which claims to feature Bowie and Eno.
Its very good but I don't know when or where its from.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jan 28, 2003, 03:07
"A Small Plot of Land" is track 4 on 'Outside'. There's also a Bowie/Eno collaboration on Earthling (I'm Afraid of Americans) which was released as an EP (and very good it is too).

Regarding Eno's work on the Berlin trilogy (misnamed, really, as much of Lodger was recorded in Switzerland), he wasn't credited as "Producer", but his influence on those albums is huge... in the writing, the performance and the production process.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 28, 2003, 09:49
Eno himself says of "Outside" that he cocked it up and would really like the opportunity to re-record it in it's entirity. You can tell the difference if you listen to the version of 'Hallo Spaceboy' with PSB on it or the "Buddha Of Suburbia" version of 'Strangers...' to see what it could have been.

'Afraid of Americans' is great, as is all of "Earthling". But, that takes us back to the (probably non-existant) Unsung Bowie thread.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jan 28, 2003, 17:43
"he wasn't credited as "Producer", but his influence on those albums is huge... in the writing, the performance and the production process."

Oh no argument there. But I did read an interview with Visconti where he complained that, thanks to sloppy journalism, he was always seeing Eno getting credited with producing those albums.

It's not unlike THE MARBLE INDEX; Cale always gets credited with producing that one.

OUTSIDE was supposed to be the first part of a new trilogy (hence the "1.").
242 posts

Jan 28, 2003, 23:42
so Eno didn't think much of Outside eh? Well I have to say that it is one of my favourite Bowie albums - very rich in creativity. Personally, I think that the album version of hallo spaceboy is better than the psb single version and has more of an edge. That reminds me, I must get hold of The Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack - is it readily available? I never see it in the shops or anywhere really.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index