Robin Hood

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Re: Robin Hood
Jul 25, 2023, 20:21
Mine arrived today. First impressions are positive. And yes, it’s most definitely a Cope album!
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Jul 26, 2023, 14:36
It's really good! Different vibe to Self Civil War/England Expectorates. It's got riffs, electric guitars, real drums (on some songs?), lots of mellotron (obviously). Most of the songs are catchy, punky little movers. Charles the Turd has an incredibly infectious groove (yes, groove!). I don't think it quite reaches the heights of Self Civil War but I might prefer this to England Expectorates. It's more playful. Not sure why he didn't put his name on it (apart from the writing credit) - although Julian Cope appeared as the artist on Apple Music when I ripped it.

It is a bit more lo-fi in places compared with the last couple of albums but the arrangements are a bit more fleshed out so it sounds good to me.

As someone pointed out on one of the Facebook groups, 'Odin in Lindisfarne" and 'Don't You Wanna Just Skin Up?' are swapped on the CD compared with the tracklisting on the back.

Buy if in doubt - this is the new Julian Cope album.
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Jul 26, 2023, 15:34
LeeHarveyIsInnocent wrote:
Or damn the EU for punishing the UK for leaving.

Poor Leavers. Nothing's ever their fault, is it?
Bourbonus
Bourbonus
66 posts

Jul 26, 2023, 21:43
Mine hasn't arrived yet (bloody Royal Mail, I'm only in Somerset!) does anyone have a track list?
hellboy69
9 posts

Jul 27, 2023, 10:12
Bourbonus wrote:
Mine hasn't arrived yet (bloody Royal Mail, I'm only in Somerset!) does anyone have a track list?

Here ye go!

Phase One
JULIUS GEEZER
FOUR MOHAMMEDS & A FUNERAL
THE DEVIL'S CURSE
PROPHET
DRUNKEN SKIERS OFF PISTE
THE DEATH OF DEATH
DON'T YOU WANNA JUST SKIN UP?
ODIN IN LINDISFARNE
TIME & A NEW UNDERSTANDING

Phase Two
CHARLES THE TURD
WRONG SIDE OF THE BED
AN ORAL HISTORY OF BLOWJOBS (Medley)
BALLAD OF FAT PAUL
STOP MONKEYING WITH MY HEART, YOU BIG GORILLA
I WAS A PUNK BEFORE YOU WAS A HIPPIE
thesussexidler
64 posts

Jul 27, 2023, 11:14
So......... Is this going down as a Cope LP or is Robin Hood the new Dope? It has the feel of an Odds & Sods collection or is that just me?
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Jul 27, 2023, 12:09
thesussexidler wrote:
So......... Is this going down as a Cope LP or is Robin Hood the new Dope? It has the feel of an Odds & Sods collection or is that just me?

I guess technically there is no artist name - it's not 'Robin Hood' by Robin Hood on the Merchandiser. It just has a title. So I'm going with it being a Julian Cope album. Cos, well, it is.
thesussexidler
64 posts

Jul 27, 2023, 13:16
Cheers.
Three Fingered Pete
50 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2023, 17:10
Jul 27, 2023, 16:57
Robin Hood is NOT new DOPE.
I (Mr Holman) had initially laid down vocals for Drunken Skiers off Piste and Dead Mans Money, now renamed. JC re-recorded vocals to these great tunes for this Robin Hood album.
darrell
50 posts

Jul 27, 2023, 20:46
sweetfeed wrote:

As someone pointed out on one of the Facebook groups, 'Odin in Lindisfarne" and 'Don't You Wanna Just Skin Up?' are swapped on the CD compared with the tracklisting on the back.

The allusion/tribute to Una Baines and 'Repetiton' appears to fall (npi) somewhere between parts 4 and 5 of 'Blow Jobs' too, rather than during part 3 as mentioned in the notes behind the CD tray.

First play through for me tonight, and yes it's a gem - lovely mixture of recognisable Cope sounds (reminding this listener of everything from the 1984 LPs to Brain Donor), musical references, and the expected bang-on 2023 lyrical anger and humour.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index