Book Of Seth

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Re: Jefferson Airplane
Sep 24, 2022, 03:14
phallus dei wrote:
Great review of what's probably my favorite album from the summer of love. Hope you continue to write about the Airplane. Their streak from '67=69 is one of the high points of rock.

Hey, phallus dei --

Many thanks, man. (But you know: I've been writing about the Airplane since 2000!)

Their seven year career was one of the weirdest trajectories in Rock, to be sure.

I'm sure you know the "Have You Seen The Saucers" / "Mexico" single from 1970? And if you know that, are you aware of their legendary 1970 shows?

Bootlegs: ALMOST STARSHIPSHAPE, TEAR DOWN THE WALL, MOTHER and especially: Fillmore East May 1970:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrVqhs4IZS4

Very muscular, lacking all finesse, and kicking ass.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Dec 27, 2022, 05:31
Ash Ra Tempel Review
Dec 24, 2022, 20:11
A very touching tribute and another highly useful review Seth, thanks for sharing.

Even though I'm playing all my favourite Xmas albums today as I hurriedly try to finish my kitchen cabinets before guests come over, my thoughts are with Manuel and gang, and those epic epic LPs.

Keep on keeping on, and please share with us all your musical insights for 2023. I've been back to the Book of Seth well so many times in 2022, and it keeps growing!

To everyone who still lurks at HH, all the best to you and your loved ones. Be kind, be present and be yourselves.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Re: Ash Ra Tempel Review
Dec 24, 2022, 21:07
Same to you man. Peace on earth.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Re: Ash Ra Tempel Review
Dec 25, 2022, 13:47
Citizensmurf,

Many thanks, man.
But most of all: Merry Christmas! And best of luck with the cabinets.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Vox Pop and 2023
Dec 30, 2022, 15:17
Great write up on Vox Pop, who I had heard of for many years, but never heard. Like so many other reviews from you and Cope, this is exactly what turns the musically curious into the musically devoted. Thanks again for sharing all these gems in 2022, and please keep them coming in 2023. I've had that Island Records LP on my watch list for some time, so I'll have to grab that one soon.

I'm the type of music collector that is always searching for something to get me excited, and your passion for the unsung and overlooked is infectious and deserves all of our attention.

So happy new year and onward to 2023!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Re: Vox Pop and 2023
Dec 31, 2022, 19:07
Citizensmurf wrote:
Great write up on Vox Pop, who I had heard of for many years, but never heard. Like so many other reviews from you and Cope, this is exactly what turns the musically curious into the musically devoted. Thanks again for sharing all these gems in 2022, and please keep them coming in 2023. I've had that Island Records LP on my watch list for some time, so I'll have to grab that one soon.

I'm the type of music collector that is always searching for something to get me excited, and your passion for the unsung and overlooked is infectious and deserves all of our attention.

So happy new year and onward to 2023!

Citizensmurf,
Many, many thanks for your comments.

Yeah, Vox Pop is a weird one. Even Discogs has MORE DRUGS THAN ELVIS listed in two places as both for sale as a legitimate release... AND not for sale as an unofficial one!

Between the EP on Mystic and the miscellaneous compilation tracks, the "Cab Driver" single is by far the best thing they ever released during their existence. And both performances on NEW WAVE THEATRE are stellar on so many levels.

There was a live tape floating around years ago that is great.
People seem to think it's possibly their first show (King's Palace, LA, Nov 1979). It's since shown up on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbjkEnlB0Ws

Ernest Gibson's ISLAND RECORDS has been a long time fave, too. Such a finely articulated album.

Here's to a Happy New Year.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Evil Acidhead + Chairmen of the Board
Oct 02, 2023, 16:33
Another double shot of Seth landed yesterday. Again, things I've heard of but never heard. The well of inspiration is deep, and sometimes difficult to navigate without a trusted guide. I'm not sure about the rest of you but it's getting harder to sift through all the hype of sub-par-album-promo-bombast from the real deal.

Too many "Rare" "Lost Psych" "Underground Classic" tags that might as well have "part of this complete breakfast" added to justify the sugar rush and empty calories. Also the FOMO of limited edition reissue LPs that get bought and sold without even talking about the music, only their rarity, leaves me soft and cold. Give me a cut-out VG original or a YT stream with minimal monetizing ads to interrupt the groove over my monthly budget gone in one shot.

Thanks again Seth, looking forward to more gems in the future.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Re: Evil Acidhead + Chairmen of the Board
Oct 03, 2023, 02:57
Citizensmurf wrote:
Another double shot of Seth landed yesterday. Again, things I've heard of but never heard. The well of inspiration is deep, and sometimes difficult to navigate without a trusted guide. I'm not sure about the rest of you but it's getting harder to sift through all the hype of sub-par-album-promo-bombast from the real deal.

Too many "Rare" "Lost Psych" "Underground Classic" tags that might as well have "part of this complete breakfast" added to justify the sugar rush and empty calories. Also the FOMO of limited edition reissue LPs that get bought and sold without even talking about the music, only their rarity, leaves me soft and cold. Give me a cut-out VG original or a YT stream with minimal monetizing ads to interrupt the groove over my monthly budget gone in one shot.

Thanks again Seth, looking forward to more gems in the future.

Citizensmurf,
Many thanks again for your compliments. Besides 'thank you,' I'm at a loss for words.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2023, 10:08
Oct 07, 2023, 10:00
Hey Seth Man,

Just picked up Evil Acidhead on the strength of your review - what a trip (the album's great too!).

Reminds me in a way of Jimmy Page's Lucifer Rising score crossed with early Heldon...a strange & strong brew indeed.

Thanx!

Z
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Oct 07, 2023, 16:59
Zariadris wrote:
Hey Seth Man,

Just picked up Evil Acidhead on the strength of your review - what a trip (the album's great too!).

Reminds me in a way of Jimmy Page's Lucifer Rising score crossed with early Heldon...a strange & strong brew indeed.

Thanx!

Z

I can hear the LR score for sure. The guitar parts reminded me of Paul Leary at times (like "Barking Dogs" from Piouhgd). I've been meaning to listen to Monster Magnet for like 30 years, so maybe now's the time.

I still really enjoy the album McBain did with Kandodo (Simon Price from The Heads).

https://www.discogs.com/release/9063540-Kandodo-McBain-Lost-ChantsLast-Chance
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index