Edited Jul 18, 2021, 05:29
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 July 2021 CE
Jul 18, 2021, 05:24
Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo

Elton John - Empty Sky

Elton John - st

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

R.E.O. Speedwagon - st

Miles Davis - Blue Moods (In memory of Patrick Higgins)

Johnny Winter - Ease My Pain

The Clash - Sandinista! (disc 1)
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 July 2021 CE
Jul 18, 2021, 12:07
1001realapes wrote:
Elton John - Regimental Sgt. Zippo

Did you get the RSD vinyl version? Much better than the unfinished mixes and demos featured on last year's box set, although I have it on good authority that it is the other version of Hour Glass that was on the original acetate, so we still have to make do with bootlegs for that (and the full orchestral version of The Tide Will Turn For Rebecca). I expect there will be a CD version eventually with more unreleased bonus tracks. Weird that Empty Sky is now his second album, the self-titled one is now the third and so on...
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2021, 13:04
Jul 18, 2021, 13:03
Supertramp – Crime of the Century
Mike Oldfield – Ommadawn
Meat Loaf – Bat Out of Hell
Barclay James Harvest – Gone To Earth
Al Stewart – Year Of The Cat
Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
Peter Gabriel – Peter Gabriel (I)
Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
Eagles – Hotel California
Smokie – Greatest Hits
Kate Bush – The Kick Inside
Electric Light Orchestra – Discovery
Bee Gees – Spirits Having Flown
Manfred Mann's Earth Band – Angel Station
The Alan Parsons Project – Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Marianne Faithfull – Broken English
Billy Joel – 52nd Street
Joan Armatrading – To the Limit

All these albums were part of the record collection of my mates older sister ca. 1979/80. I remember how uncool I found most of these records at the time as I was into New Wave. Today I get in a sentimental mood when I listen to this kind of stuff.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Jul 18, 2021, 14:39
Yes, was very happy to pick up
the RSD.
A 2cd DE would be most welcome,
with all finished versions & demos
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Jul 18, 2021, 17:04
Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation (vinyl box set - had my eye on this 3LP, 3 7" collection for a while but found it for a very reasonable £60 at Olympic Records in Barnes, and they even threw in a £10 vinyl copy of Family's Music In A Doll's House for free. Played the mono mix for the first time but Jonathan King's production sounds even more underwhelming in this format. The replicas of the super rare first 3 singles are lovely to have, however).

Traffic - Mr Fantasy

Family - Music In A Doll's House

Eurythmics - In The Garden (mesmerising debut produced by Conny Plank, with the great Jaki Liebzeit on drums and Holger Czukay also contributing)

Ashra - Blackouts (another nice vinyl find over the weekend, a great companion to the equally lovely New Age Of Earth)

Leonard Cohen - New Skin For The Old Ceremony
Leonard Cohen - Death Of A Ladies' Man
Leonard Cohen - Recent Songs

The Monkees - The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees (box set - love the mono mix of this album, especially 'Auntie's Municipal Court')
The Monkees - Head (box set)

The Beach Boys - Soul Searchin' (reconstruction of what should have been a mid-90s BBs album using the songs Brian was working on with Andy Paley. Sadly Carl bailed out after adding vocals to 3 songs and the project collapsed, but it could have been a late period classic, with She's Still A Mystery demonstrating the heights they could still reach)
Al Jardine - A Postcard From California (Carl and Brian also feature on this very enjoyable solo project)
The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made The Radio
The Beach Boys - Live: The 50th Anniversary Tour (wish they'd reissue this without the autotune - sounds horrible and mars what is otherwise a very strong live album)

The Cosmic Jokers - Planeten Sit-In
The Cosmic Jokers - Sci-Fi Party
The Cosmic Jokers - Gilles Zeitschiff

Yes - Relayer
Yes - Going For The One
Yes - Tormato
Yes - Drama

The Black Swan Triad - Symbiosis
V/A - Lost In Catland: A Cat Compendium (the two latest projects from my prolific friend, the mysterious Grey Malkin, the latter a charity project to help cat charities who are struggling right now)

Flo & Eddie - The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie
Flo & Eddie - Flo & Eddie (such brilliance on these two albums, the first of which made use of the Mothers Of Invention while Frank Zappa was incapacitated)

Bee Gees - To Whom It May Concern (trippy closing song 'Sweet Song Of Summer' works a treat in the current hot weather)

Complex - Complex (RSD2)
Bobbie Gentry - The Windows Of The World (RSD2) (very pleased to find these still in stock at Eel Pie Records when I went over in the late afternoon. What a wonderful album the Complex one is, the manufacturing and pressing problems that marred the original 99 copies haven't stopped them being reportedly worth £10,000 nowadays, quite an investment for the gig goers who were originally charged £1. I already knew the brilliant 'Self Declaration' from the Perfumed Garden box set, but 'Josie' must be one of the most charming white reggae tracks of the era. Great to also have the lost 1969 Bobbie album on vinyl, with the full story behind its production and abandonment. Interesting to hear her briefly heading off in one direction before she headed off in yet another with the soul leanings of Touch 'Em With Love).
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jul 18, 2021, 18:58
Coupla weeks worth of listening, still mining the CD racks for albums less listened to ...

Agitation Free - Malesh

V/A - Miitens Ins Ohr

Cluster - Zuckerzeit

Sand - Golem

Cloudland Canyon - Lie In Light

Acid Mothers Temple - La Novia

Kawabata Makoto - Inui 4

Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms/ISDN/Dead Cities/Lifeforms EP

Orbital - Green Album/Brown Album/Snivilization

Leftfield - Leftism/Rhythm and Stealth

King Cannibal - Let The Night Roar

Meat Beat Manifesto - Subliminal Sandwich

The Afternoon Exchange- S/T

Nitzer Ebb - Belief

Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

Pottery - Welcome To Bobby's Motel

Fu Manchu - The Action is Go

The Doors - Live 68 (boot)

Iggy Pop - The Idiot

Looking forward to the newly released Teardrops/Cope CD ordered from HH. Have a groovy week.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jul 18, 2021, 20:28
Alice Cooper ‘Goes To Hell’ - Vince’s second solo effort from 1976 was a pale shadow of his first, let alone group classics like ‘Killer’, but it has its moments, not least ‘Go To Hell’ which almost compares to anything in his vast legacy IMHO;
Pink Floyd ‘The Endless River’ - musical tofu with no seasoning. A tedious and tuneless insult to the Pink Floyd name, and 53 minutes I’ll never get back;
Mogwai ‘As The Love Continues’ - showing the aforesaid how to do (mostly) instrumental music that matters. And how. This is as excellent as anything Mogwai has ever done;
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe S/T - this appeals to me now more than it did on its release a mental 32 years ago. In fact, it’s better than anything released under the Yes name this century;
Robert Wyatt ‘Rock Bottom’ - which seems to yield new delights every time I play it. The most unique, if not perfect, album I’ve ever heard;
Steven Wilson ‘The Future Bites’ - pure pop for now people - as Stiff once said about Nick Lowe;
Alan Price ‘Between Yesterday and Today’ - very much of its time, but there are some very fine compositions in what was something of an MOR/pop concept album based upon working class oppression. I think this resonates more with me now than it did when my dear father bought the LP back in 1974. I get it now, Dad;
Man ‘Maximum Darkness’ - Man were always better live than in the studio, as this intense concert recording royally exemplifies;
Slade ‘Slayed’ - the best album Kiss never made;
Catherine Wheel ‘Crank’ and ‘Balloon’ CD EPs - reminding me what a fine and unsung band this was. Shoegazing without yawns;
Opeth ‘Deliverance’ - super-heavy Swedish prog thrash from true masters of the art. My face assumes no manner if weird contortions listening to this;
Nazareth ‘2XS’ - forgotten early 80s effort by Dunfermline’s finest, standing up surprisingly well;
Egberto Gismonti ‘Sol Do Meio Dia’ - indefinable blend of Iberian and jazz musics making a real impression on this listener;
Egberto Gismonti ‘Danca das Cabecas’ - ditto;
Haydn: String Quartet Op.50 no.4 (Aeolian Quartet) - civilised, if a little characterless, rendering of one of my favourite Haydn utterances. The finale is delightful;
Suk: Four Pieces for Violin & Piano, Op.17 (Josef Suk & Jan Panenka) - short works full of variety of mood, masterfully played by the composer’s grandson and his compatriot;
Brahms: Symphony no.3 (Budapest Fest Orch/Ivan Fischer) - this rendition has grown on me over the last couple of weeks, especially the second movement which really sings in this fine new recording;
Schubert: Rosamunde Overture (VPO/Riccardo Muti) and Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (Philadelphia Orch/Riccardo Muti) - straight but musical performances of two early romantic masterpieces;
Mendelssohn: The Hebrides (LSO/Sir John Eliot Gardiner)
Ditto (Concertgebouw/Bernard Haitink) - one of these conductors underplays the lyricism and beauty of this genius musical painting and plays the dramatic middle section at a speed that makes it seem like it’s from a different work. The other directs it with all the tenderness and drama that Mendelssohn intended. I’ll leave you guessing which one is which.

Love your lives, all - and all within them. Don’t let them go.

Dave x
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jul 18, 2021, 20:36
The Association - Birthday / S/t

The Asteroid No 4 - S/t

Boards Of Canada - Old Tunes Vol 1 & 2

Alice Coltrane - Cosmic Music (with John Coltrane) / A Monastic Trio / Huntington Ashram Monastery / Ptah The El Daoud

Miles Davis - Porgy & Bess / Seven Steps To Heaven / In Europe

Far East Family Band - Nipponjin

The Flying Burrito Bros - The Gilded Palace Of Sin / Burrito Deluxe

The Focus Group - Sketches & Spells / Hey! Let Loose Your Love / We Are All Pan's People

The Incredible String Band - On Air / Tricks Of The Senses

Kaleidoscope - Forget About Tomorrow: The Singles

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King / In The Wake Of Poseidon / The Young Person's Guide To ...

Paul McCartney - McCartney / Ram

Matching Mole - Little Red Record

The Moody Boys - Journey Into Dubland

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything / E.P's 1988-1991

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother / Interstellar Encore: Fillmore West 29/4/70

Spirit - S/t

Neil Young - Zuma / American Stars & Bars

XTC - Oranges & Lemons / Nonsuch
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jul 18, 2021, 22:34
OCS - 3 and 4

Beth Orton - Daybreaker. Best of the 3 albums I own by her (having given them all an airing recently. The others being Central Reservation and kidsticks)

Orb - UF Orb. Haven't listened to this in eons. Seemed quite cutting edge in its time and still delivers for me. Only listened to the 2nd half so far this time as didn't want to be kept awake too long! Love the Victor Lewis Smith insert about Haile Salassie! Is that the same album that has the Colin Wilson excerpt too? Can't remember

KRS-One - S/T Didn't have the sticking power for this. Wanted to like it as appreciate where he's coming from and have tuned into his talks.

Kraftwerk - Computer World - The Man-Machine.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jul 18, 2021, 23:58
Three weeks' worth, eeek...

Anika – Change. Second solo album from intriguing Nico-esque singer, who previously fronted the much underrated Exploded View. Great dub-inflected, post-punkish, minimal electro sound, very good album: https://anika.bandcamp.com/album/change

Vanishing Twin – Ookii Gekkou. Fans of Broadcast, go here immediately. Less knowingly quirky than their last album, and all the better for it, some serious retro-futuristic grooves: https://v-twin.bandcamp.com/album/ookii-gekkou

Horte – Maa antaa yon vaientaa. Finnish electronic nu gaze sound with choral female vocals. Worth a listen: https://horte.bandcamp.com/album/maa-antaa-y-n-vaientaa

ToiToiToi – Vaganten. It’s on Ghost Box. He’s from Germany. You can probably guess the rest: https://soundcloud.com/ghost-box/sets/vaganten

Maarja Nuut – Hinged. Estonian singer and violinist goes more deeply electronic than ever. Four Tet to Autechre via 4AD, good: https://maarjanuut.bandcamp.com/album/hinged

GLEN – Pull! Kraut-ish post-rock, bit like a gothic Neu! Pretty good: https://glen1.bandcamp.com/album/pull

Possum – Lunar Gardens / Space Grade Assembly. Another Canadian psych/space rock outfit, a cut above the average: https://possumyyz.bandcamp.com/album/lunar-gardens

Pye Corner Audio – Black Mill Tapes Vol 5 – The Lost Tapes. What it says on the can, more spooktronica here: https://pyecorneraudio.bandcamp.com/album/black-mill-tapes-volume-5-the-lost-tapes

Hawklords – Time. New one from, err, supergroup of former Hawkwind players. Has its moments, plus the addition of Dead Fred on keys brings a bit more width to their sound.

Taras Bulba – Sometimes The Night. Former Earthling Society guy in new guise. Noir-ish psych instrumentals, perfectly fine: https://riotseasonrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sometimes-the-night

Liars – The Apple Drop

Jorja Chalmers – Night Train

Concretism – Teliffusion

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – L.W.

Hedvig Mollestad Trio – Ding Dong. You’re Dead.

Slift – Ummon

Matt Berry – Witchazel / Kill The Wolf. Never heard these before, having been unable to get past the “actor does music” thing. But more fool me etc, they’re charming exercises in 60s meets 70s pop via the psych/folk/prog byways and genuinely great in places.

Gore – Mean Man’s Dream / Hart Gore. Sometimes, only Gore will hit the spot…

Spirogyra – Bells, Boots & Shambles. Odd yet compelling Marxist folk rock, probably should have heard this before…

Captain Marryat – s/t. Kept popping up on my YouTube feed, early 70s Scottish private press album not a million miles away from Bodkin, another one-off Scottish PP of renown ie. soulful but downer-ish organ-led rock, worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG8Z9EOsiik

Kingdom Come – Journey / At The BBC/ Jam

VA – I’m A Freak, Baby vol 3
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index