Edited May 02, 2021, 09:00
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 May 2021 CE
May 02, 2021, 04:37
Alice Cooper - Easy Action

Jethro Tull - Isle of Wight 1970

Prince & The Revolution - Around the World in a Day

Curtis Mayfield - Sweet Exorcist

Super Furry Animals - Hey Venus!

Kate Bush - Before the Dawn (disc 1 of 3)

Augustus Pablo - Original Rockers

Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys meets Rockers Uptown

Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile

Augustus Pablo - King David's Melody
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 May 2021 CE
May 02, 2021, 17:36
Genesis - Trespass
Genesis - BBC 1970-1971

Fresh Maggots - Fresh Maggots

Popol Vuh - Aguirre
Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos

Bob Dylan - Infidels
Bob Dylan - Empire Burlesque
Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded
Bob Dylan - Down In The Groove
Bob Dylan - Infidels Outtakes

Ultravox - Vienna
Ultravox - Rage In Eden
Ultravox - Quartet

Can - Tago-Mago
Can - Ege Bamyasi

The Olivia Tremor Control - Presents: Singles & Beyond
The Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk At Cubist Castle
The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage
The Olivia Tremor Control - Circulatory Fix (The Sunshine System) (imaginary 3rd album compiled from solo projects)

Nick Heyward - North Of A Miracle (not all of this has dated well, but some of the songs still stand up, and first time I'd noted the impressive musician credits, notably Dave Mattacks on drums and Paul Buckmaster providing string arrangements)

Martin Carthy - Martin Carthy
Martin Carthy - Second Album

Ash Ra Tempel - Inventions For Electric Guitar
Ash Ra Tempel - Le Berceau De Cristal

Lisa Knapp - Till April Is Dead
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

May 03, 2021, 09:50
Daevid Allen - N'existe pas! / Stop/Don't (with David Tolley as Ex-)

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

The Animals - Most Of ... (MFP LP) / Eric Burdon & The Animals (mid 70s comp)

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Ereptum (mono) / Outsideinside / New Improved!

The Boomtown Rats - S/t

David Bowie - The Collector

Can - Can Box / Radio Waves

Julian Cope - Psychedelic Revolution / Revolutionary Suicide
Dope - On Drugs / Village Idiot Dope

Dr John - Gris Gris / Babylon

Steve Hillage - Live Herald / Rainbow Dome Musick

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon / A Young Person's Guide To ...

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um / Candid Recordings - Part Two / Portraits

Pink Floyd - Zebriskie Point (soniclovenoize) / Relics

Swans - Children Of God / Feel Good Now

David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - The First Day / Damage

Third Ear Band - Macbeth / The Magus

The Who - A Quick One / Sell Out

Wire - Chairs Missing / 154
keith a
9572 posts

May 03, 2021, 14:49
garerama wrote:

In case you didn't know there is a live set from Stuttgart, 1975 coming soon
keith a
9572 posts

May 03, 2021, 14:50
Tulips - Maston
According to the label this can be played at either 33 or 45. I thought it was a joke. But it can! Not a million miles away from a playful sounding Stereolab, esp at 45!!

Mutator - Alan Vega
This is ‘the first entry in an ongoing series of Alan Vega Vault releases on Sacred Bones Records, which will uncover critical lost chapters in the Alan Vega story’. This one was recorded in the mid-90’s and mixed last year and is a worthy addition to Al’s mighty body of work. Mutator is the uncompromising work of an uncompromising artist, which in Vega’s case means he’s, for example, yelping about filth over dark, percussive backdrops. As Mark Beaumont said in his NME review of this album, “you don’t come to an Alan Vega album for the choruses”.

Also...

Concorde - Alexandre Bazin

Sounding Out The City - El Michels Affair
Adult Themes - El Michels Affair

Variation Sur 3 Bancs EP - Golden Bug Feat The Liminanas

Bizarr - Patricia Kokett

I Used To (Remix) 12” - LCD Soundsystem

As The Love Continues - Mogwai

Wildfire - Mythic Sunship

Monkey Business (CDS) - Pet Shop Boys

Too Tough To Live - Dan Sartain
Century Plaza - Dan Sartain

The Road: Part II / Lost Highway - UNKLE
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 03, 2021, 15:21
JJ Cale - Okie - Naturally. Here's a question for the cognoscenti. Is same old blues covered by Beefheart or vice versa? Seems to fit more in with Cale, though I do actually prefer Beefheart's version.

Mogwai - Young Team - Ten Rapid - EP +6. What a statement that debut album was as the poster boys of post rock or certainly most well known? I am well aware that Slint were there before.

M83 - Dead cities, red seas and lost ghosts. Really rate earlier M83 following up from the likes of air. TV AM reminded me of one of the tracks too, following after.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

May 03, 2021, 19:44
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Mogwai - Young Team - Ten Rapid - EP +6. What a statement that debut album was as the poster boys of post rock or certainly most well known? I am well aware that Slint were there before.

I remember hearing 'New Paths to Helicon 1' on Peel a very long time ago and just melting at the sounds. Needless to say I picked up the single (with Helicon 2 on the B-Side) the very next day. Still my fav' Mogwai moment.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited May 03, 2021, 19:55
May 03, 2021, 19:52
Hello again all. First post in a while:

Patti Smith ‘Radio Ethiopia’ - ace second album which I’ve always preferred to Patti’s less guitar-driven debut, even its divisive title track;
Beverly Glenn-Copeland ‘...keyboard fantasies...’ Stuart Maconie turned me onto this 1986 sythigem on last week’s Freakzone. Parts remind me of ‘Tin Drum’ era Japan: others have a Canterbury vibe, but the whole is so remarkably satisfying - much more than most music of its era. Where has this been for most of my life?
Gong ‘Camembert Electrique’ - parts of this scare the crap out of me so much I can barely stand it, but when it’s good (which is most of the time) it’s awesome - and a rare reminder of Daevid Allen’s underrated guitar skills;
Led Zeppelin untitled fourth album - not much I can say about this, other than it’s the comparatively lesser known songs that I dig the most, especially ‘When The Levee Breaks’ which may just be the greatest rock cut in my entire collection. Seriously, did they (or anyone else) ever better it?
Bad Company ‘Bad Co’ - Paul Rodgers never fully recaptured the magic of Free, but Bad Company’s first couple of LPs came close. The debut is the finer of the two but my, it’s short on value;
Fairport Convention ‘Unhalfbricking’ - for me, THE epochal Fairports release, even more than ‘Liege & Lief’. I first heard this in 1977 shortly after ‘Marquee Moon’ and, once I’d heard ‘Sailor’s Life’, knew exactly where Television had gleaned their guitar sound. As for dear Sandy, well, she never sang nor wrote better than she did here. ‘Who Knows Where The Time Goes’ is near perfect, but ‘Autopsy’ (written partly in five time) even finer: the “come lend your time to me” sequence, followed by Richard Thompson’s sublime solo, just floors me;
AMM ‘The Crypt’ - as uncompromising as music (if that’s what it is) can conceivably get - some parts make ‘Metal Machine Music’ sound like Mantovani - yet capable of great beauty in its melee. This is an amazing document of what must have been an incredible gig all of 53 years ago;
John Abercrombie/David Holland/Jack DeJohnette ‘Gateway’ - solid early ECM that almost rocks in places;
Miles Davis ‘Relaxin’ With The Miles Davis Quintet’ - Miles and Trane in straight bop mode before changing the world. This is sheer joy;
Keith Jarrett: Sapporo (from ‘Sun Bear Concerts’) - the last, and arguably best, of the six solo concerts recorded on Jarrett’s inspired 1976 Japan tour. These have recently reappeared on vinyl and sound superb;
Vaughan Williams: Symphonies 4 & 6 (LSO/Antonio Pappano) - there have been several fine versions of these symphonies in recent years but Pappano’s are particularly impressive, especially his white-hot rendition of the dissonant Fourth. This rocks, and I mean it;
Brahms: Alto Rhapsody (Christa Ludwig/Philharmonia/Otto Klemperer) - played in tribute to the great German mezzo who sadly died this week;
As above (Annette Markert/Berlin RSO/Kurt Sanderling)
As above (Kathleen Ferrier/Danish Radio Orch/Fritz Busch)
As above (Dunja Vejzovic/Houston SO/Christoph Eschenbach)
As above (Marjana Lipovsek/BPO/Claudio Abbado)
As above (Grace Hoffman/BRSO/Rafael Kubelik) - well, Christa’s beautiful account reminded me of what a wonderful work the Alto Rhapsody is, encouraging me to give some other recordings a spin. All have their merits but only Ferrier moves me as much as Ludwig;
Brahms: Academic Festival Overture & Symphony no.2 (BPO/Claudio Abbado) - Abbado’s second recording of Brahms 2 with the BPO is less dreamy and more focused than his first, though both have real stature. A precise performance of the overture just seals it in favour of the latter, I think. Karajan’s three BPO recordings of this symphony were greater interpretations, but none were as beautifully recorded as this 1988 account, and missed the all-important first movement exposition repeat observed by Abbado;
Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra (Czech PO/Karel Ancerl) - Ancerl was a superb conductor whose talent enabled him to survive Auschwitz; tragically, his family weren’t so lucky, and he never got over it. His impressive recorded legacy includes gems like this superb rendition of Bartok’s post-breakdown (and notoriously difficult) late masterpiece. Check out the woodwinds in the finale: never better IMHO;
Judith Weir: String Quartet (Edinburgh Quartet) - original, yet accessible, modern chamber music, superbly executed here;
Beethoven: Symphony no.8 (ORR/John Eliot Gardiner) - deft if slightly cold account, ultimately spoiled by a perversely overdriven finale.

Do I dare mention that I might have also played a Macc Lads’ album this week? No, I don’t. If I did, did I enjoy it? No, of course not. Honest.

Goin’ down, goin' down now...

Dave x
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

May 03, 2021, 20:50
Dark Bird – Out Of Line. Spacey, woozy psych from Canada, good

Smote – Portcullis / Drommon. Really impressed by this guy’s output – the first half of Drommon is a particularly fine example of his brand of pagan space rock: https://smote.bandcamp.com/album/drommon

The Duke St Workshop – Limit Of Darkness. Mystifyingly under the radar electronica duo who’ve really nailed that 80s horror soundtrack/steelier Ghost Box vibe: https://thedukestworkshop.bandcamp.com/album/limit-of-darkness

Yeti – Things To Come… Reviewed an Italian guide to prog recently, which really struggled in translation, but it did alert me to these guys. This is a great album from 2000, imagine a more cosmic sounding Guapo from the same period, which is a STRONG recommendation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10qc0Mo3NjY

Wipers – Is This Real? / Youth Of America

T2 – It’ll All Work Out In Boomland / s/t

VA – Strain Crack & Break vol 2. First volume of picks from the Nurse With Wound list covered France, this one does Germany. Some avant clank, but also some good, obscure-ish Krautrock, such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4zxaYejsLg

VA – Riding The Rock Machine (CD3)
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

May 03, 2021, 21:03
keith a wrote:
garerama wrote:

In case you didn't know there is a live set from Stuttgart, 1975 coming soon

Thanks Keith, I'd heard yes - sounds like there will be quite a few live sets in the horizon. Can't have too much Can!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index