Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 May 2021 CE

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 May 2021 CE
May 04, 2021, 13:02
Yes i think that track was my introduction into them too. It's on the 10 rapid collection as well. Was listening to CODY last night. Putting aside whatever Come on Die Young is supposed to mean (sounds like some dubious rock and roll euthanasia or Roger Daltrey statement) that album has really grown on me. Never really gave it the attention it deserved
Monganaut
Monganaut
2377 posts

Edited May 04, 2021, 18:27
May 04, 2021, 18:25
I've only a couple of records by them tbh, I'm not a massive fan, but another album I like (mainly cos' I'm a sucker for alternate versions and session tracks etc...) is the record 'Government Commissions'. It's a collection of stuff they recorded for the Beeb, not everything, bit most of the good stuff.
garerama
garerama
1112 posts

May 06, 2021, 20:20
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Hello again all. First post in a while:

Fairport Convention ‘Unhalfbricking’ - for me, THE epochal Fairports release, even more than ‘Liege & Lief’. I first heard this in 1977 shortly after ‘Marquee Moon’ and, once I’d heard ‘Sailor’s Life’, knew exactly where Television had gleaned their guitar sound. As for dear Sandy, well, she never sang nor wrote better than she did here. ‘Who Knows Where The Time Goes’ is near perfect, but ‘Autopsy’ (written partly in five time) even finer: the “come lend your time to me” sequence, followed by Richard Thompson’s sublime solo, just floors me

The space between hearing Marquee Moon and A Sailor's Life was around 30 years for me (MM first). And yes the first thing that sprang to my mind when I heard ASL was exactly as you say ... And it is good to see these things written down by someone else. It really is about as blatantly similar as the Stranglers 'Walk On By' vs The Doors (anything but the easiest comparative - 'Light My Fire').

Agreed ‘Unhalfbricking’ beats the hell out of L&L for me. The predecessor 'What We Did On Our Holidays' has some wonderful moments in it too. Shame that ‘Who Knows Where The Time Goes’ didn't quite meet the (as then unreleased) version that Sandy did with the Strawbs though.

Likewise post Marquee Moon Television didn't really do much either ...

Maybe someday I'll get round to listening to post Sandy Fairports ... bar the odd comp I have around.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index