Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
God help me I bought a Yes LP...and I LIKED it!!

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2021, 21:20
Yes, Yes! (Déja vu)
Mar 13, 2021, 08:19
Around last Yul(e)tid(e) I got a revisitation by Yes after a conversation about Lap steel mentioned "The Gates Of Delirium". Never had properly listened to RELAYER before and that got me going through 'classics'. I've been acquainted with FRAGILE and CLOSE TO THE EDGE (and up to some extent the earlier ones) as a teenager but got traumatized by the TALES OF THE TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS shortly afterwards when hearing it for the first time in an extra-sensitive state. So the love affair was brief, but left it's marks. Steve Howe was a huge hero when I was 17, and not only because of Yes.

I read the Culpepers Orchard AOTM review when it came out, where Julian mentioned A TIME AND A WORD. I had to check it out properly, and found out that I actually dug it (well at least most of it). It's a somewhat singular affair in their discography, I think. And no Steve Howe and with string arrangements...

Sometime after that, when Chris Squire passed away, The Seth Man mentioned somewhere a crazy version of "Ritual" on the YESSHOWS double lp that got me intrigued (actually, that version of Ritual is definitely one of THE highlights of the Yes output for me, Chris Squire challenges Lemmy for sheer motorbass energy!).

Few months ago I got a German original pressing of THE YES ALBUM and actually 'heard' it the first time. Surprised how good it sounded (at least most of it) and how much I liked it. Gotta try the orig. U.K. press sometime, but that vinyl/production sounds excellent! Even exceptionally dynamic and detailed.

But yeah, the classics: THE YES ALBUM; FRAGILE; CLOSE TO THE EDGE and RELAYER and an extra honorable mention for TIME AND A WORD and YESSHOWS (if only for the version of "Ritual"!).

Still have to go through much of the rest of their 70's output, if only for the sake of being thorough...

Unsung Forum Index