Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
God help me I bought a Yes LP...and I LIKED it!!

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Re: God help me I bought a Yes LP...and I LIKED it!!
Feb 25, 2021, 21:28
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Sounds like Fragile will be next. I was actually leaning toward that one or Close to The Edge. I was also curious about the first 2 LPs, but will probably just stick with Yesterdays for now.

Seth Man thanks a lot for that writeup. Very cool you'd mention The Nice, as that's another new-to-me group. I'd heard of them over the years but just never sought them out, then this past summer I got a UK Charisma label pressing of "Autumn '67 - Spring '68." I just discovered it while shopping a seller's inventory on Discogs. I've played it a few times and like it a lot. I read the Allmusic review, which said this compilation is alternate mixes of the first Nice LP, and the reviewer said the mixes here were superior to the originally-released versions. "More playfully psychedelic." But then last night I finally checked out the actual "Davjack" album on Youtube...and actually liked those mixes better! They just sounded more psychedelic to me than the ones on Autumn '67, with a lot more sonic effects. Maybe I'll get that one on vinyl someday, too.

I also didn't even realize that both Autumn '67 AND Yesterdays feature a "never-before-released" song titled America!

Your description of "Something's Coming" also got my interest -- The Nice shagging the Vanilla Fudge ("the doyens of punk mysterioso!"). Bummer that track never appears to have made it onto a compilation in the day...looks like the only way you can get it on vinyl is the overpriced original single release or the 2013 Yes 2LP remaster by Music On Vinyl. Well, I guess that's why we have Youtube.

BTW, Seth Man, speaking of Zawinul and fusion and etc, have you ever heard "Seeking Other Beauty," by Bayete? If not check it out. Features a fuzz-wah psych-jazz monster (complete with vocals) called "I Don't Need Nobody." Very heavy stuff for sure and psychedelic to boot...sort of like Funkadelic meets Agharta-era Miles.

Thanks everyone!

Unsung Forum Index