Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 January 2021 CE
Jan 25, 2021, 09:09
1001realapes wrote:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

A truly special album, nothing else sounds quite like it.

Last week for me consisted of:

V/A - Voices Of The Ainur Compilation 1 (a mega long compilation of modern dungeon synth artists, some did nothing for me but a few gems in there)

Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet (Funeral doom metal from Finland, glacial paced and heavy as all fuck. Great band)

Abigor - Verwüstung (Invoke The Dark Age)
Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)

Death - Symbolic

Marillion - Fugazi (The Fish era album of theirs I hadn't really ever listened to very much, spun it a load this week and am starting to love it)
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2021, 13:04
Jan 25, 2021, 12:05
La Vita Nuova (EP) – Christine & the Queens
If you liked the Chris album, then you are likely to really enjoy this, too.

Snap Crackle & Bop – John Cooper Clarke
I recently read I Wanna Be Yours, the autobiography of the talented poet and very funny performer that is John Cooper Clarke - a one-off who I have been fortunate to see live a couple of times (first time supporting Elvis Costello & the Attractions in 1979 at the Manchester Free Trade Hall with the mighty Richard Hell & the Voidoids on the same bill - wow! - and then supporting The Fall in more recent years where he was more stand-up comedian than poet). So I obviously had very high hopes for this autobiography. It almost lived up to them, but just...not quite. Nonetheless, there is so much to enjoy. Anyway, I decided to dig out my old copy of SN&B for the first time in years and was surprised to hear how drowned out some of the lyrics are are at times. Beasley Street still sounds magnificent though.

Also...
Semi-Legal On The Edge Of Culture – Dope

Sticky Wickets – Duckworth Lewis Method

Beautiful Rewind – Four Tet
Sixteen Oceans – Four Tet

Dreads Enter The Gates With Praise - Bunny Lee / V/A

Mental Home Recordings – Philip Parfitt

1 2 3 (3 CD Boxset) - Pole

Cum On Feel The Hitz (Disc 1) – Slade

Dandy In The Underworld – T.Rex

What's Your Pleasure – Jessie Ware
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2021, 16:54
Jan 25, 2021, 16:54
Monganaut wrote:
O.D.d on space cake whilst mainling Space Ritual

Shouldn't do that.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Jan 25, 2021, 19:17
[quote="keith a"

Snap Crackle & Bop – John Cooper Clarke
I recently read I Wanna Be Yours, the autobiography of the talented poet and very funny performer that is John Cooper Clarke - a one-off who I have been fortunate to see live a couple of times (first time supporting Elvis Costello & the Attractions in 1979 at the Manchester Free Trade Hall with the mighty Richard Hell & the Voidoids on the same bill - wow! - and then supporting The Fall in more recent years where he was more stand-up comedian than poet). So I obviously had very high hopes for this autobiography. It almost lived up to them, but just...not quite. Nonetheless, there is so much to enjoy. Anyway, I decided to dig out my old copy of SN&B for the first time in years and was surprised to hear how drowned out some of the lyrics are are at times. Beasley Street still sounds magnificent though.

[/quote]

I saw JCC on that same Costello tour, at Newcastle City Hall. I managed to get backstage afterwards and met him. He was shy, affable and happy to sign autographs for a starstruck 18 year old! (I also met Richard Hell and Elvis Costello and the Attractions, but that's a different story.) Like you, I've spun JCC's first two Epic albums for the first time in years and have been a little underwhelmed. I agree with you that there's too much going on and much of the music just seems to get in the way, 'Beasley Street' being an honourable exception. I seem to recall a 10" LP from around the same time which featured the man in a live context with no extras: wish I'd bought it. Thanks for the book summary by the way - I think I'll give that autobiography a read.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 26, 2021, 12:50
Hedvig Mollestad Trio – Ding Dong. You’re Dead. New one from jazzy hard rock threesome. It is, of course, wonderful…

La Morte Viene Dallo Spazio – Trivial Visions. Occult space rock from Italy, not bad: https://lamortevienedallospazio.bandcamp.com/album/trivial-visions

Thalassing – s/t. Clay Pipe 10th anniversary reissue of pleasant, ambient-ish soundtracky album: https://iamplinth.bandcamp.com/album/thalassing

Guapo – Live at RIO 2009. Track is called ‘8 Domine’, never properly recorded. Some very fine organ action in it. I was pretty obsessed with this Zeuhl/heavy prog band – thanks originally to an HH post – around the time of this recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGysmlMLoRI&feature=youtu.be

Nik Turner’s Sphynx – Xitintoday. Hmm, I was possibly a *little* harsh on this album in my book – it’s bonkers, but entertainingly so. About to be reissued: https://nikturnermusic.bandcamp.com/album/sphynx-xitintoday

Eloy – Dawn. To say this came the year before Ocean – another wonderfully bonkers LP from the latter half of the 70s – this is rather tame/bland.

Yes – In The Beginning. Have never been a big Yes fan, but this comp of early Euro TV sessions has some very decent pre-Howe/Wakeman moments.

Small Faces – Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake. It started playing on YT, I didn’t press stop. Part visionary, part awful (particularly for some of the bands it clearly inspired).
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 26, 2021, 12:56
Fitter Stoke wrote:

I saw JCC on that same Costello tour, at Newcastle City Hall. I managed to get backstage afterwards and met him. He was shy, affable and happy to sign autographs for a starstruck 18 year old! (I also met Richard Hell and Elvis Costello and the Attractions, but that's a different story.) Like you, I've spun JCC's first two Epic albums for the first time in years and have been a little underwhelmed. I agree with you that there's too much going on and much of the music just seems to get in the way, 'Beasley Street' being an honourable exception. I seem to recall a 10" LP from around the same time which featured the man in a live context with no extras: wish I'd bought it. Thanks for the book summary by the way - I think I'll give that autobiography a read.

Wow! I'm jealous of you meeting those people.

My own personal memory is more embarrassing. For some reason I decided to shout 'Are you Bob Dylan?' when JCC was performing. I think he probably just ignored me though in my mind 40 years or so later, it is now accompanied by a withering look. Either way, it was a real tumbleweed moment with my mates giving me a funny 'what on earth did he shout that for?' look!
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 26, 2021, 14:10
Monganaut wrote:
Been dipping into the Fatalist penned Hawkwind - Days of the Underground book. loving it! Have been playing through the records in the same order as the chapters.

Glad you're enjoying it, thank you! That's exactly how I hoped it would be read ;-)
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 26, 2021, 14:12
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

Also I've been listening to Laughing Stock this week with encouragement from Fatalist. So naturally I will have to check out the solo album next.

Great stuff. As FS says, the MH solo album is one of the greatest pieces of, at times, 'barely there' music, but just wonderful...
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2021, 15:27
Jan 27, 2021, 15:26
Guapo – Live at RIO 2009. Track is called ‘8 Domine’, never properly recorded. Some very fine organ action in it. I was pretty obsessed with this Zeuhl/heavy prog band – thanks originally to an HH post – around the time of this recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGysmlMLoRI&feature=youtu.be

Nice one, look forward to watching this. Was totally obsessed with 5 Suns when it was released, and later picked up Great Sage.... was less into the later stuff though tbh.

Was lucky enough to see them live supporting Finland's finest, Circle, many moons ago. Remember just being mesmerized by the drummer, who was just mind blowing.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 28, 2021, 08:54
Monganaut wrote:

Nice one, look forward to watching this. Was totally obsessed with 5 Suns when it was released, and later picked up Great Sage.... was less into the later stuff though tbh.

Was lucky enough to see them live supporting Finland's finest, Circle, many moons ago. Remember just being mesmerized by the drummer, who was just mind blowing.

Absolutely, Five Suns is one of the great albums of this century, and certainly their best work. Of their later stuff, I think History Of The Visitation is worth a listen.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index