2387 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 January 2021 CE
Jan 24, 2021, 06:16
The Carter Family with Special Guest Johnny Cash - Keep On The Sunny Side

Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line

Lead Belly - The Smithsonian Folkways Collection

Grant-Lee Phillips - Lightning, Show Us Your Stuff

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! (discs 1 & 2 of boxed set)

Far Out - st

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Earth & Fire - Song of the Marching Children / Atlantis

Super Furry Animals - Northern Lights (single)

Ramones - Road to Ruin

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

The Doors - Morrison Hotel

The Irish Rovers - Twentieth Anniversary Celebration

Elton John - st
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 January 2021 CE
Jan 24, 2021, 09:32
MC5 ‘Back In The USA’ - a recent thread on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums has comforted me to learn that I’m not alone in preferring this to ’Kick Out The Jams’. I rate ‘USA’ as one of THE most influential records on what was to emerge much later in the 70s. Great songs too;
Camel ‘Breathless’ - from the brief period when Camel could be classed as a borderline Canterbury band (Caramel!), that this remains my fave of their albums will surprise nobody;
Sparks S/T - the then Halfnelson’s debut LP is now 50 years old and sounds nothing like it. In fact, play ‘Fa La Fa Lee’ to a Sleaford Mods fan and they’ll probably think it an outtake with a guest vocalist. And ‘Fletcher Honorama’ reminds me of Radiohead in their ‘Knives Out’/‘Man of War’ mode;
Black Sabbath ‘Sabbath Bloody Sabbath’ - the last truly great Sabbath album I think, not that they didn’t touch greatness afterwards;
Barclay James Harvest ‘Everyone Is Everybody Else’ - my first exposure to BJH was with this 1974 album, and it’s still one of their best for me;
The Kinks ‘Arthur’ - caught at the apex between beat group and rock band, this great LP sees Ray Davies’ social commentary at its most astute;
Robert Wyatt ‘Rock Bottom’ - I (and others) have expounded on the merits of this album over many years. All I can add is that it is as unique and perfect a record as I have heard in my six decades of existence. God bless you, Robert;
David Bowie ‘Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)’ 45 - this late single is as indefinable as anything the great man ever released. Can’t help noticing its tonal similarity to Robert Wyatt’s ‘Team Spirit’, mind, particularly the latter’s “I beat the lot... I take the cake” bit. Am I alone?
Talk Talk ‘Laughing Stock’ - as far removed from their proto-Duran early material as could be imagined, and subtly magnificent, preparing the way for:
Mark Hollis S/T - a contender for the quietest, slowest album of “popular music” ever, this is a unique and quite beautiful record where every tiny sound is made to matter. Something to immerse oneself in;
Cliff Richard and The Shadows ‘The Best Of The Rock’n’Roll Pioneers’ - mostly fun comp of one of Britain’s former pretenders to Elvis’ throne. The fast numbers like ‘Mean Streak’, ‘Never Mind’ and ‘Dynamite’ are a gas;
Penguin Cafe Orchestra ‘Music From The Penguin Cafe’ - the first, and to my ears best, of Simon Jeffes’ wonderfully diverse records;
John Coltrane ‘Lush Life’ - Trane’s Prestige years saw his playing at its most seductive and lyrical, exemplified by this underrated LP. The long title track is a particular gem;
Keith Jarrett ‘No End’ - I find myself coming back to this unusual Jarrett release more and more, despite reservations of the master pianist’s arrogance in releasing two hours of Jerry Garcia-like low-fi hi guitar noodling. For some weird reason, it works, for most of the time anyway;
Keith Jarrett ‘The Moth And The Flame’ - a fabulously varied, in-studio solo piano improvisation that ranks alongside the best of his live dates I think;
Keith Jarrett ‘Expectations’ - pre-ECM solo album of various moods and styles; not definitive but an entertaining listen;
Keith Jarrett ‘Nude Ants’ - live document of Jarrett’s excellent European Quartet with Jan Garbarek. Superb drumming from the late Jan Christensen, who also graces:
Terje Rypdal ‘Descendre’ - mood music - and I don’t mean that dismissively - par excellence;
Kenny Burrell ‘Midnight Blue’ - classic Blue Note guitar jazz with a title track suspiciously like ‘Moondance’;
Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘Time Further Out’ and ‘Jazz Impressions Of New York’ - I was saddened to learn of Gene Wright’s death a few weeks back. Now all of the classic Brubeck Quartet are playing their heavenly harps. Remember them this way;
Haydn: String Quartets Op.74 (London Haydn Quartet) - beautifully civilised music, similarly rendered;
Vaughan Williams: Symphony no.6 (LSO/Andre Previn) - a classic recording of possibly the greatest of all English symphonies;
Beethoven: Egmont Overture and Symphonies 2, 4, 5, 6 & 8 (BBCSO/Colin Davis) - from a long forgotten series of the Beethoven symphonies newly digitised for the first time, these are, for the most part, superbly muscular and direct performances. Only the Fifth disappoints due to an inert second movement and no exposition repeat in the first;
Beethoven: Violin Concerto (Arthur Grumiaux/Concertgebouw/Colin Davis - Grumiaux was a wonderfully lyrical violinist as this lovely 1975 recording testifies.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 09:52
Ash Ra Tempel - S/t

The Beau Brummels - Triangle / Bradley's Barn

Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children / Geogaddi / The Campfire Headphase

Graham Bond - Holy Magic

Can - Delay 1968 / Monster Movie

Don Cherry - Organic Music Society / Eternal Now / Brown Rice

Ornette Coleman - Change Of The Century / This Is Our Music

Judy Collins - Who Knows Where The Time Goes?

From Nursery To Misery - Pixies In The Woods

Gong - Flying Teapot / Angel's Egg / You / Live Floating Anarchy 1977 (Planet Gong)

Led Zeppelin - IV

The Left Banke - There's Gonna Be A Storm: The Complete Recordings 1966-1969

Midlake - The Trials Of Occupanther / The Courage Of Others / Antiphon

Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Scream / Join Hands

Stump - The Peel Sessions EP

Throbbing Gristle - Second Annual Report / D.O.A: The Third & Final Report

Scott Walker - Scott 3 / Scott 4 / 'Til The Band Comes In

The Watersons - Early Years / Frost & Fire

XTC - English Settlement / The Drunken Jam Sessions / Mummer / The Big Express / 25 O'Clock (Dukes Of Stratosphear) / Skylarking / Psonic Psunspot (Dukes ...) / Transistor Blast

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats / Waka/Jawaka / The Grand Wazoo / Joe's Garage (Act 1)

V/A - The Man Who Fell To Earth OST
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 17:27
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
Johnny Cash - Unchained
Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man

Rufus Wainwright - Want One
Rufus Wainwright - Want Two

David Bowie - David Bowie
David Bowie - Space Oddity
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
David Bowie - Singles A's & B's 1964-1971
David Bowie - BBC Sessions 1967-1972

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Emerson Lake & Palmer
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition

Vangelis - Sex Power
Vangelis - Fais Que Ton Rêve Soit Plus Long Que La Nuit
Aphrodite's Child - The Best Of

The Moody Blues - In Search Of The Lost Chord
The Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream

The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones
The Beach Boys - Love You

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
King Crimson - Starless & Bible Black
King Crimson - Red

Stina Nordenstam - Memories Of A Color

(American) Spring - Spring

Mandy More - But That Is Me

Elton John - The Regimental Sgt. Zippo

The Beatles - Let It Be
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 17:27
Been dipping into the Fatalist penned Hawkwind - Days of the Underground book. loving it! Have been playing through the records in the same order as the chapters.

Hawkwind - S/T, In Search Of Space, Doremi Faso Latido, Space Ritual, Ambient Anarchists. Sundowner V.2
O.D.d on space cake whilst mainling Space Ritual....maaaan I can see what Lemmy meant by 'Black Nightmare' (And I was just in the living room).
Ambient Anarchsts is a Hawkwind guilty pleasure. Cheap and cheesy/odd collection of vinyl only takes, more electronic/spacey Hawkwind versions and live.

Coil - Horse Rotorvator, Time Machines Live.

Tangerine Dream Zeit/Phaedra

Cope - Rite 2
Do love D.e.c.o.m.p.o.s.e.r.

Dope - Village Idiot / On Drugs

D.A.F. - Alles Ist Gut

Stooges - Raw Power

Alien Sex Fiend - Whose Been Sleeping in My Brain/acid Bath/Maximum Security/It/Possessed.
I feel these guys have been treated like Hawkwind fer huge swathes of their career in not really being appreciated. They have a great sound, kinda like a less heavy Chrome meets Sique Sique Sputnik. Suppose the jokey lyrics put some folk off, but can't fault those tunes. Possessed was a real return to form.
Nice vid of Mr and Mrs Fiend giving a potted history of their career over on youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UG54FJKLw

Caught a nice BBC 6 interview with Cope from 2016 talking about the Kilimanjaro recordings with some annoying talking head. Some kinda 'Classic album playthrough' gig. He's a bit 'worse fer wear' by the sound of it, but entertaining as ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQVOpRzuXM

Also had my annual watch of The Modern Antiquarian vid. Tis' a real pity the series wasn't followed through with.

Anyhow, keep warm and well.x
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 18:05
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Robert Wyatt ‘Rock Bottom’ - I (and others) have expounded on the merits of this album over many years. All I can add is that it is as unique and perfect a record as I have heard in my six decades of existence. God bless you, Robert;

I was watching KT Tunstell's documentary on Ivor Cutler this week(sky arts) which is worth watching. Robert and Alfie were close friends to Ivor and of course he's on that telephone track on Rock Bottom. Seamless link there.

Also I've been listening to Laughing Stock this week with encouragement from Fatalist. So naturally I will have to check out the solo album next.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 18:20
K Klass - Universal

Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers. Have warmed to this. Must be all mature or something!

Jackson 5 - Abc

The Fugs - First Album, Greatest Hits (2002), The Real Woodstock Festival. My pet project this week, exploring their oeuvre. Rarely hear them mentioned which is a criminal oversight in my considered opinion!

Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop

The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out. Too snarky for my tastes this time around. Requires too much of my patience

Francis Bebey - Psychedelic Sanza

Fontaines DC - Dogrel & A Hero's Death. A few good songs (mainly the singles from the latter) but not enough for my liking

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock. Have to admit to being more from the David Quantick school of thought regarding this offering previously. Coming round a bit though as I'm nothing if not changeable.
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 18:42
Fitter Stoke wrote:

David Bowie ‘Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)’ 45 - this late single is as indefinable as anything the great man ever released. Can’t help noticing its tonal similarity to Robert Wyatt’s ‘Team Spirit’, mind, particularly the latter’s “I beat the lot... I take the cake” bit. Am I alone?

The strangest thing for me about this record is the fact that an old work colleague of mine gets a song-writing credit on it. He was in a duo called Plastic Soul who released a couple of unregarded singles in the late 90s (plus one under the name Plastic Soup which I found in a local charity shop and presented to him when I got back to work in order to ask if he was the same Paul Bateman as on the record). Maybe it's because of the 'Plastic Soul' reference, but somehow Bowie heard one of their tracks and sampled it on 'Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)' and gave them half the writing credit. What an honour that must have been.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 19:57
Yeah, I saw that Ivor Cutler programme too. Excellent show.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 21:06
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:

I was watching KT Tunstell's documentary on Ivor Cutler this week(sky arts) which is worth watching. Robert and Alfie were close friends to Ivor and of course he's on that telephone track on Rock Bottom. Seamless link there.

Also I've been listening to Laughing Stock this week with encouragement from Fatalist. So naturally I will have to check out the solo album next.

Read Robert Wyatt's autobiog book "Different Every Time" recently- fascinating read - what a guy. "Rock Bottom" is one of my all time faves. Rediscovered "Laughing Stock" recently. Definitely part of a holy trinity with "Spirit Of Eden" and the MH solo album.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index