Record Player Advice

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Re: Record Player Advice
Jan 22, 2021, 22:41
Hello Captain, take my advice and go retro. For 20 years I used modern turntables, basic plastic fantastic ones with auto functionality and etc. Finally I decided to upgrade. I too looked up the AT LP120, even went into a store and inspected one. But then I did some research and discovered that, when it comes to spinning vinyl, vintage is considered best -- unless you want to spend $$$ for a "good" new one. The 120LP had too many bad reviews for me, though I did like the cool "reverse play" trick it has. Also learned it was mostly "Chinese guts" on the inside (an online reviewer's claim, not mine), whereas real vintage ones are built like friggin' Sherman tanks.

I researched older TTs and got hooked on a Pioneer PL-518. Just loved the look and the design of it. Plus it had auto return, so wasn't fully manual like the 120LP. It's almost as old as I am, from 1978 or so. But those suckers are built to last. I found some blog where some dude repaired a PL-518 from a resale store and compared it to a 120LP and etc and the Pioneer was better across the board. I ended up getting mine from a seller on eBay for $250. About the same price as a 120LP...you can find other vintage models cheaper I'm sure, but the PL-518 seems to be in high demand. I got mine two years ago and it was like falling in love with vinyl all over again...I think I've gotten about 200 new LPs in that time, and I already had a lot!

I can also suggest the Nagaoka MP-110 for your cartridge setup...pairs great with the 518 and I believe with the 120LP as well, as it prefers a heavier tonearm, which both models have. You can get the MP-110H, which comes with headshell for easy setup, but FYI you'll have to play vinyl with the lid up if you do get a PL-518 -- the finger cue on this headshell is the highest I've ever seen, and prevents the auto return from engaging if you play a record with the lid down.

Anyway these are just my thoughts -- have fun getting back into vinyl!

Unsung Forum Index