21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2021, 07:01
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 January 2021 CE
Jan 17, 2021, 22:28
Standhouden (45) - De Ambassadie
Lo-fi-ish, quirky little number from last year that took me to back to Peel, circa 1979.

Suddenly – Caribou
Caribou have made some great records but this isn't really doing it for me yet.

Enclosures – Craven Faults
Craven Faults deliver yet again on this – what I guess you could call - three track mini-album. The opening track has a bit of Can feel. Ignore at your peril!

Rockfield Files EP – The Damned
Four track EP with The Damned sounding very like their Black Album era version. Some nice crooning from Dave, too.

Unqualified (45) – Ikebe Shakedown
Deliciously retro 7” single, this instrumental has a real stomping 60's beat with added soothing organ and soul-ish horns. Oh yeah, there's a great drum roll in it, too. I'm a sucker for them!

Devil's Juice EP – Interstellar Funk & Robert Valera
Lead track, Serge, is a great electronic instrumental with more than one foot in the 80's, albeit with a touch of Hawkwind and the Dr Who theme. I've only just realised that the riff is like an electronic take on one I wrote in 1983, but they won't have heard that so I won't be suing!

Monkey Business / I Don't Wanna (45's) – Pet Shop Boys
So the Pet Shop Boys were on tour somewhere in the US and singer Neil Tennant was wandering around when some fella recognises him and asks what he's doing around there. Tennant explains and then politely asks the fella what he is doing to which he apparently replied "I'm looking for monkey business, just playing around". "Ah..." thinks Tennant. "There's a song there!" They'll never trouble the charts like they used to be but they still make some cracking records from time to time. I Don't Wanna is another and – on the off-chance that anyone else is till interested in such things! - there's some added decent remixes.

Where Things Are Hollow 2 EP – Pye Audio Corner
Four track ep with some nice grooves which are likely to appeal to Four Tet fans.

Also...
Imperial Wax Solvent – The Fall
Bizarr – Patricia Kekett
KG – King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
Um Dad – Stephen Mallinder
Phantom Lights – Memory Drawings
Sorry I'm Late EP – Minos
Mental Home Recordings – Philip Parfitt
Living In A Ghost Town (45) - The Rolling Stones
Children Of God – Swans
S/T – Ultravox!
Mind Hive – Wire