2388 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2021, 19:29
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 January 2021 CE
Jan 17, 2021, 05:49
Mississippi Fred McDowell - Vol. 2

Burzum - Fallen

Burzum - From the Depths of Darkness

Jethro Tull - Living in the Past

Jethro Tull - War Child (discs 1 & 2 from boxed set)

The Coral - Move Through the Dawn

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Black Sabbath - Vol. 4

Robert Wilkins - The Original Rolling Stone

The Incredible String Band - Across the Airwaves BBC Radio Recordings 1969-1974

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Legendary A&M Sessions

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Live 1966-67

Grant Lee Buffalo - Jubilee

The Irish Rovers - Silver Anniversary

Frank Sinatra & The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra - The Popular Sinatra, Vol. 1

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off

Jerry Butler - The Best of Jerry Butler

R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction/Reconstruction of the Fables

Bob Marley and The Wailers - Rasta Revolution
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 January 2021 CE
Jan 17, 2021, 09:17
Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Joanna Newsom - Divers

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
King Crimson - Lizard
King Crimson - Islands

V/A - The Perfumed Garden Vols. 1 - 5

Elton John - Jump Up
Elton John - Too Low For Zero
Elton John - Breaking Hearts

Van Dyke Parks - Songs Cycled

The Moody Blues - The Magnificent Moodies
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed

Widow's Weed - Revenant

Robin Gibb - Robin's Reign
Robin Gibb - Sing Slowly Sisters
Barry Gibb - The Kid's No Good
Maurice Gibb - The Loner
Bee Gees - 2 Years On

The Nice - The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack

Aphrodite's Child - It's Five O'Clock
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 09:51
David Bowie ‘Station To Station’ - halfway through an amazingly productive decade (and midway through his biggest drug dependency), Bowie came up with this. The relatively conventional ’Golden Years’ notwithstanding, it’s even more out there than the Berlin trilogy that followed, and totally timeless. There’s nothing quite like the title track in Bowie’s entire back catalogue, or anyone else’s for that matter - and that’s only the first ten minutes of the album. I played this in the 2010 remaster which sounds awesome to my ears, alongside the ace Nassau Coliseum ’76 gig it’s packaged with. Coked up he may have been but jeez, his creative muse was even more on fire than it’d been during the Ziggy and soul years;
David Bowie ‘Hunky Dory’ - as different an album as it’s possible to imagine from the above, yet equally essential. Did Bowie ever pen a more enigmatic song than ‘The Bewlay Brothers’?
The Farm ‘Spartacus’ - God, I hadn’t played this in decades. Very much of its time in its sub-Mondays kind of way, but quite enjoyable;
Graham Parker and The Rumour ‘The Up Escalator’ - final peak-era LP by Britain’s answer to The Boss and his E Street Band, both suitably represented on this still fresh sounding release;
The Beatles ‘Rubber Soul’ - because I just have to hear this at least once a month. My desert island Fabs LP, especially in mono;
Boards Of Canada ‘Tomorrow’s Harvest’ - genuinely inventive, undefinable instrumental music;
Edgar Froese ‘Aqua’ - ditto. This is quite the equal of ‘Phaedra’ and ‘Rubycon’ (as its timeline might suggest) and better value too;
Echo and the Bunnymen S/T - their last decent album methinks, although its typically 80s production puts a synthetic edge on Pete de Freitas’ precision drumming;
Bob Dylan ‘Under The Red Sky’ - a couple of meh songs aside, I reckon this is one of the Zim’s better albums from his middle years. I dig Don Was’ production a lot, and Al Kooper’s organ is a reminder of greater times;
Paul McCartney & Wings ‘Venus and Mars’ - this has always been in the shadow of ‘Band On The Run’ but is almost as good IMO;
Peter Gabriel ‘Peter Gabriel’ (‘Scratch’) - Gabriel’s most unsung “proper” album sounds better now than it did 43 years ago, and is one of Robert Fripp’s greatest non-Crimson legacies thus far;
Keith Jarrett: Kyoto, Nov 5, 1976 (from ‘Sun Bear Concerts’) - one of my favourite Jarrett solo dates, starting and ending with beautifully lyrical motifs and, a dodgy atonal sequence beginning Part II excepted, maintaining real quality over 78 minutes. I love Jarrett’s funky vamp midway through the second half;
Keith Jarrett: Bregenz, May 28, 1981 (from ‘Concerts’) - and this is another solo cracker, this time devoid of any avant garde noodlings and particularly well recorded;
Keith Jarrett: June 4, 1994 First Set (from ‘At The Blue Note’) - cool trio date with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette. One day I’ll lash out on the whole box set;
George Adams ‘Sound Suggestions’ - semi forgotten tenor sax led ECM gem from 1979 with a stellar back up band including Kenny Wheeler (on ace form) and David Holland;
Haydn: String Quartet in A, Op.55 no.1 (Panocha Quartet) - fleet but sensitive reading of a typically lyrical Haydn quartet;
Mozart: Violin Sonatas K 377 - K 380 (Arthur Grumiaux & Walter Klien) - civilised chamber music, idiomatically rendered;
Beethoven: Symphony no.3 (BBCSO/Sir Colin Davis) - powerful and direct interpretation, newly reissued;
Beethoven: Symphonies 4 & 8 (Minneapolis SO/Antal Dorati) - old Mercury LP preserving two forgotten performances of real character. I’d love to hear this on CD;
Beethoven: Symphony no.2 (ORR/John Eliot Gardiner) - good live performance from Cadogan Hall, slightly lacking in grace but with plenty of excitement;
Beethoven: Egmont Overture (RPO/Andre Previn) - straight, reliable reading with just enough drama at the end;
Beethoven: Piano Concerto no.2 (Kristian Bezuidenhout/Freiburg Baroque/Pablo Heras-Casado) - wonderfully refreshing and vibrant account of this great early work. One of the finest Beethoven anniversary releases of last year..
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 10:52
Blur - Bustin' & Droolin' / 13 / Think Tank / The Magic Whip

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane / Pin Ups / Diamond Dogs / Young Americans / Station To Station / All Saints / Montreax Jazz Festival 18/7/02

Broadcast - The Future Crayon / Berberian Sound Studio
Children Of Alice - S/t

Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies - The American Metaphysical Circus

The Chamber Brothers - Time Has Come: Best Of

Far East Family Band - Nipponjin

Harmonia - Musick Von Harmonia / Deluxe / Live 1974 / Tracks & Traces (with Brian Eno)

George Harrison - Wonderwall Music

Bill Nelson - Getting The Holy Ghost Across / Living For The Spangled Moment / Map Of Dreams / Chance Encounters In The Garden Of Lights

The Residents - God In Three Persons

Revolting Cocks - Beers, Steers & Queers

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Rock'n'Roll With The Modern Lovers / Modern Lovers Live

The Ruts - The Crack

Yoshiko Sai - Mikko

Simon & Garfunkel/ David Grusin - The Graduate OST

Morton Subotnick - Silver Apples Of The Moon / The Wild Bull

Subway Sect - We Oppose All Rock & Roll

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees / Gone To Earth

XTC - White Music / Go 2 / Go + / Drums & Wires / Black Sea / Waxworks / Beeswax / Coat Of Many Cupboards

V/A

The "King" Kong Compilation (Island LP)

New Wave (Vertigo LP)

Nice Enough To Eat (Island LP)
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 13:50
Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth, Space Cowboy. Whatever my opinion of Jay Kay might be, there is some great musicianship on display - clearly influenced by 70's Jazz.

Joy Division - Closer

The Jazz Monk - Music of the Brain. Heavily influenced by LTJ Bukem which is no bad thing.

The Flying Lizards - Fourth Wall

Flashes - S/T, Rzhev. Cornwall based band combining shoegaze, jangly guitar and a kind of massive attack vibe in a very winsome way. Just went over to their bandcamp page and ordered both their albums.

https://flashesband.bandcamp.com/

Flamingods - Hyperborea. Didn't really work for me on record, though I thought they were fab live from a couple of years back

Fire Island Pines - True Grit.

Fenella & Jane Weaver - Fenella
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 17:34
Been a shitty week. Had to have my cat put down, so not feeling the happiest. Though on the upside, my belated xmas pressie was bought, an IK Uno Synth fer Berlin school style messing about, though obvs not feeling it right this minute, so it remains boxed on the shelf. Now just gotta get to grips with DAW'S and Midi, which I've never really bothered with. Also picke dup a copy of HHer Joe Banks - Days of the Underground fer some distraction. On first perusal it nicely put together. Chock full of great pics and photos too. Looking forward to dipping in, looks a good companion to other Hawkwind book I have 'Sonic Assassins' by Ian Abraham

Not a lot of tunes either.

King Cannibal - Let The Night Roar
I dig this out occasionally and every time wonder why I don't play it more.
Dark tinged, bass heavy, jungle rhythmed EDM of the top draw. Not really a duffer on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csR4qjLtFkQ

Public Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess-Age
Is this the angriest PE record out there? it is fer me. Guess this is their 'Electric Ladyland' in terms of album length, running to nearly 80 mins if you include the rewind from track 1 hidden track, and again, not a duffer on it. Much of the sentiment of BLM channeled through the various tracks. PE manage to just fill every corner of a track with noise, which gives them an immense sound when compared to most other Hip Hop records, but the music never sounds cluttered. If only more current music carried such righteous anger. Chuck D fer President, instead of some walking cadaver, you bet!

Public Enemy, ...Nation Of Millions / ...Terrdome
More top draw hip hop. Obvs 'Nation' is legendary for all the right reasons. Terrdome has it's moments.

The Clash - Story of the Clash
This is a bit like comfort eating fer me. I know the songs inside out, but it's always good to hear them again. If only they'd done a whole album in the style of 'Armagideon Time'. Yeah Yeah, I know Sananista! is a sprawling 'masterpiece', but if they'd honed it down to the reggae influenced/dub stylee, it would have been more fabbo (IMO).
A T - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAM7dnEcptg

Big Youth - Dreadlocks Dread
Lightning Flash just does it every time. Used to put it on self compiled tape/CD comps (remember those) fer peeps fer years. what a track!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTiR1ieyQLo

Cavern of Antimatter - Void Beats....
Love the cosmishe/motorik/Berlin School influence on this wonderful record.

Michael Yonkers Band - Micromiature Love

Hawkwind - Space Ritual
At speaker ripping volume it's almost like you're there!

That's about it.

Keep safe everyone !
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 17:49
Sorry to hear about your cat, mate x
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 18:02
Thanks fer the thoughts. Fortunately for him, it was a quick end so didn't have to suffer too badly. He was my fav though, so leaves a rather large cat shaped hole.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 20:10
Blanck Mass – In Ferneaux. More psychedelic electronica from ex-Fuck Buttons man. Starts well… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF8U-dU2VWw&feature=emb_logo

Richard Barbieri – Under A Spell. I wasn’t expecting much of this, but it’s rather good in a post-Talk Talk electro-acoustic style (no, I’m not sure what that is either). Anyway… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjBW8g3v1OQ

Midday Veil – This Wilderness. What a fantastic track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgFI84X5PA

Sinoia Caves – Beyond The Black Rainbow OST

Time Is A Mountain – s/t

Scientist – Dub Landing

Peter Gabriel – ‘Melt’

Talking Heads – Remain In Light

Peter Hammill – Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night / pH7. Think that pH7 is my favourite Hammill album, full of tremendous songs. Love this, like Wendy Carlos having an existential crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_YshW-yey4

Emerson, Lake & Palmer – s/t. Two early prog ‘classics’ I’ve never heard before. I found the ELP to be pretty tedious, lots of flash but rather trite. However, this extra track has a bit more funk to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn2sxwOXfZ4

Genesis – Trespass. However, this was perfectly agreeable, lots of nice subtle touches, and when it gets overblown, it does it properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v719eZmXRdE
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 17, 2021, 20:14
Monganaut wrote:
Also picke dup a copy of HHer Joe Banks - Days of the Underground fer some distraction. On first perusal it nicely put together. Chock full of great pics and photos too. Looking forward to dipping in, looks a good companion to other Hawkwind book I have 'Sonic Assassins' by Ian Abraham

Thank you, hope you like it!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index