12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 January 2021 CE
Jan 03, 2021, 20:21
Fitter Stoke wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Shakin' Stevens - Singled Out (3CD I unexpectedly got given for Christmas - the first disc still sounds pleasingly raw in places, after which 80s production values take over)

You got it. Shaky's early Epic LPs and 45s are bone fide rock & roll gems IMHO, superbly played and produced by the cream of Britain's session men including ace axemen like Albert Lee and Mickey Gee. And, uncool though it may be to acknowledge it, the man himself is a damn fine vocalist. It's a shame that he abandoned his rockin' roots for 80s pop blandness as the decade wore on, but I'd forgive him anything for the best moments of 'Take One', 'This Ole House, 'Shaky' and 'The Bop Won't Stop'. There - I've said it!

Saw him pre-fame in Elvis The Musical and always liked early misses such as Shooting Gallery and Hey Mae. They still sound great and listened to afresh those over familiar first few hits sound a lot more like real rock'n'roll than I remember. And yes, I was impressed by the quality of his singing even when the production values became more modern and therefore now more dated.

Unsung Forum Index