Queen - II

Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was...Death
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Jan 03, 2021, 11:20
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 January 2021 CE
Jan 03, 2021, 11:17
La La Land OST - ok, not the coolest thing I could be listening to but, sheesh, I really like this - and the film too for that matter. Like all much-hyped stuff I avoided it like the plague upon its release but, four years on, it’s penetrated even my jaded fancy (oo-er). Justin Hurwitz has composed a masterful score which manages to sound simultaneously traditional and contemporary, and the arrangements are just fabulous;
Elton John ‘Jewel Box’ - I’m getting a lot of pleasure from this set as I work my way through it. The early demos, of which there are many, document the development of the John/Taupin songwriting partnership from before they even physically met, and provide further proof, if it were needed, of their symbiosis from the off. And the ‘Deep Cuts’ selection is profoundly satisfying, with what sound like glistening new remasters;
The Who ‘Sell Out’ - this baroque pop masterpiece stands proudly alone between the mod and rock phases of the ‘Oo’s history and is one of the most sheerly entertaining records in my collection. Apparently due for super-deluxe treatment next year. I might just be tempted;
Eels ‘Beautiful Freak’ - as keen as I am to investigate anything the mightily talented Mark Everett puts out, it’s always this first band effort I come back to;
Cat Stevens ‘Mona Bone Jakon’ - my favourite Cat album sounds particularly resplendent in its 2020 remaster. This is every bit the equal of Nick Drake’s near-perfect output, yet Stevens’ cache, success and survival have always obscured such acclaim. Weird, innit;
Kiss ‘Ikons’ - surprisingly decent 4CD set devoting a disc apiece to each founder member. Peter Criss’ disc is the biggest revelation, as the dude’s voice is a lot stronger than I’d remembered. Just as Gene’s is a lot worse. Of course, it’s Ace and (especially) Paul who deliver most. Talking of the former:
Frehley’s Comet ‘Second Sighting’ - that rare thing, a regular rock album from the late 80s that doesn’t sound too much like Bon Jovi, probably because Ace’s unique technique falls short of mindless shredding. Drums aren’t too “big” either. Not a classic, but not at all bad;
Kiss ‘Psycho Circus’ - played this for the first time in over twenty years, it having sadly underwhelmed me on first release. It’s better than I remembered, even if Ace and Peter’s contributions are minimal (Ace lives up his name on ‘Into The Void’ mind);
Kiss ‘Revenge’ - streamed this as it’d always been a gap in my Kiss collection. And having heard it, it’ll stay that way;
Dexys Midnight Runners ‘Searching For The Young Soul Rebels’ - I entered by seventh decade this week and, as one does on milestone birthdays, couldn’t help thinking back on the records that have had the biggest effect on my life. This is one of them. It still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end as much as it did when I was 19;
The Zombies ‘Odessey and Oracle’ - and this is another one. Someone has put a poll on the Steve Hoffman forum asking for verdicts on this album between 1/5 and 5/5. I wanted to give it 6/5, as it’s beyond perfect to me;
Marillion ‘F E A R’ - we’re long overdue a new album by Steve Hogarth and his chums. If and when it comes, it’ll have to be pretty spectacular to top this one;
Paul Desmond ‘The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings’ - wonderful Mosaic box set of some of Paul’s final performances before his too-many-tabs induced, premature death. Desmond is probably my favourite musician in any genre and his “dry martini” alto sound will be played at my (hopefully not too imminent) funeral. This was the soundtrack to a solitary Hogmanay evening;
Stanley Cowell Trio ‘Sienna’ - fine jazz trio set led by a - recently departed - distinctive pianist and composer;
Keith Jarrett ‘Budapest Concert’ - atypically unsubtle and occasionally ham-fisted solo concert from 2016, with a little too much boogie-woogie influence cropping up. I’ll need to work on this one;
Keith Jarrett ‘Invocations’/‘The Moth and the Flame’ - much better. The more I hear of Jarrett outside of his solo piano comfort zone the more I like him;
Keith Jarrett ’Staircase/Hourglass/Sundial/Sand’ - but this is one solo piano recording, studio-based this time, which I’ll always love. There’s a lyricism in early albums like these that I struggle to find in some of Jarrett’s recent work;
Cannonball Adderley ‘Somethin’ Else’ - the best Miles album not under his own name, and one of the best Blue Notes ever;
Pat Metheny Group ‘First Circle’ - Metheny’s last ECM album was a keeper and still sounds well 36 years on;
Now, for whom it may concern, the classical bit:
William Mathias: Organ Partita, Op.19 (Christopher Robinson) - Mathias managed to combine modernity, individuality whilst remaining eminently approachable, unlike many 20th centure composers. His church music is particularly fine, as this early organ piece exemplifies;
Franck: Choral No.3 (Nicolas Kyanston) - a staple of the organ repertoire, played as well as I’ve ever heard it at Westminster Cathedral way back in this mid-60s recording;
Francis Jackson: Five Preludes on English Hymn Tunes (Graham Barber) - incredible that the organist/composer of this excellent organ work is still with us at 103;
Healey Willan: Introduction, Passacaglia & Fugue (Rachel Mahon) - this is from a new CD of Canadian organ music covering nearly a century from 1916 (the date of this piece) and 2008, and it’s a fine showcase for Coventry Cathedral’s great organ;
Messiaen: L’Ascension (Gillian Weir) - the nearest to a warhorse in Messiaen’s great oeuvre of organ music receives a near-definitive performance by Dame Gillian;
Ria Ginster: Schumann, Brahms & Schoek Lieder - fabulous artistry from semi-forgotten pre-war soprano, ably accompanied by the legend that was Gerald Moore;
Beethoven: Symphony no.6 (Vienna SO/Hans Swarowsky) - though the recording’s a bit long in the tooth, this is a lovely, well-balanced reading;
Strauss: Don Juan (Chicago SO/Sir Georg Solti) - fairly bombastic reading, but lots of fun;
Beethoven: Piano Sonata no.28, Op.101 (Artur Schnabel) - Schnabel famously commented that Beethoven’s music was “greater than it could ever be played”. On the strength of this legendary 1930s recording, I beg to differ.

Happy New Year, all.

Dave x
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Jan 03, 2021, 15:59
Stone Angel - Stone Angel

Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind

Jon & Vangelis - The Best Of

The Beach Boys - Holland

Paul McCartney - McCartney II (double album version)
Paul McCartney - McCartney III

Shakin' Stevens - Singled Out (3CD I unexpectedly got given for Christmas - the first disc still sounds pleasingly raw in places, after which 80s production values take over)

Shirley Collins - Heart's Ease

Jim Sullivan - UFO

ABBA - Voulez Vous
ABBA - Super Trouper

John Lennon - Imagine
John Lennon - Sometime In New York City (always enjoy this and don't think it's deserving of its bad reputation - lyrically unsubtle but full of anger and good tunes and rocking energy)
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 03, 2021, 17:21
Swans - Glowing Man

Peter Gabriel - Passion

Residents - Not Available

Fairport Convention - Leige and Lief

Albums in my Spotify Favourites that made next to no impression on me:

Exploded View - S/T

Evergreen - S/T

Eugene Chadbourne - Pain pen

ESG - Come away with ESG. Quiet liked this bass at the forefront early 80's post punk type stuff
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Jan 03, 2021, 19:41
The Association - Greatest Hits

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers (50th anniversary) / Magical Mystery Tour / S/t (50th anniversary)

Eric Burdon & The Animals - Winds Of Change

The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man / Turn! Turn! Turn! / Fifth Dimension / Never Before

Cocteau Twins - Victorialand / Treasure / Blue Bell Knoll

Coil - The Side Effects Of Life / Love's Secret Domain / Windowpane & The Snow / Musick To Play In The Dark

Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter

Fairport Convention - The History Of ...

Family - Best Of (Reprise 70s comp)

The 5th Dimension - Up, Up & Away (mono) / The Magic Garden (mono) / The Age Of Aquarius

Harmonia & Eno - Tracks & Traces

Love - Da Capo / Forever Changes

Mothers Of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money

Procol Harum - S/t / A Salty Dog

Rotary Connection - Songs / Hey Love

Small Faces - Odgen's Nut Gone Celebrated Cake / The Autumn Stone

The Stooges - S/t / Metalic K.O.

The Stranglers - Feline / Aural Sculpture

David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - The First Day / Damage

The 13th Floor Elevators - Psychedelic Sounds Of ... (mono)

The Who/ V/A - Quadrophenia OST
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Jan 03, 2021, 19:47
Jan 03, 2021, 19:47
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Shakin' Stevens - Singled Out (3CD I unexpectedly got given for Christmas - the first disc still sounds pleasingly raw in places, after which 80s production values take over)

You got it. Shaky's early Epic LPs and 45s are bone fide rock & roll gems IMHO, superbly played and produced by the cream of Britain's session men including ace axemen like Albert Lee and Mickey Gee. And, uncool though it may be to acknowledge it, the man himself is a damn fine vocalist. It's a shame that he abandoned his rockin' roots for 80s pop blandness as the decade wore on, but I'd forgive him anything for the best moments of 'Take One', 'This Ole House, 'Shaky' and 'The Bop Won't Stop'. There - I've said it!
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Jan 03, 2021, 20:21
Fitter Stoke wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:

You got it. Shaky's early Epic LPs and 45s are bone fide rock & roll gems IMHO, superbly played and produced by the cream of Britain's session men including ace axemen like Albert Lee and Mickey Gee. And, uncool though it may be to acknowledge it, the man himself is a damn fine vocalist. It's a shame that he abandoned his rockin' roots for 80s pop blandness as the decade wore on, but I'd forgive him anything for the best moments of 'Take One', 'This Ole House, 'Shaky' and 'The Bop Won't Stop'. There - I've said it!

Saw him pre-fame in Elvis The Musical and always liked early misses such as Shooting Gallery and Hey Mae. They still sound great and listened to afresh those over familiar first few hits sound a lot more like real rock'n'roll than I remember. And yes, I was impressed by the quality of his singing even when the production values became more modern and therefore now more dated.
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Jan 03, 2021, 22:02
Fitter Stoke wrote:
La La Land OST - ok, not the coolest thing I could be listening to but, sheesh, I really like this - and the film too for that matter. Like all much-hyped stuff I avoided it like the plague upon its release but, four years on, it’s penetrated even my jaded fancy (oo-er). Justin Hurwitz has composed a masterful score which manages to sound simultaneously traditional and contemporary, and the arrangements are just fabulous

I resisted this movie for a while too, but then got interested when some of the music was used in a ballet show my kids were in and I found myself rather taken by it. It is a wonderful film, deserving of the hype, largely because of the music which is remarkably good for a modern musical, with a particularly magical nod to Tchaikovsky at one point. Must watch it again soon.
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 04, 2021, 19:27
Two weeks worth here...

Red - Black Uhuru
Idiot Prayer – Nick Cave
Self Civil War – Julian Cope
Beautiful Rewind – Four Tet
For Ever – Jungle
KG – King Gizzard & the Wizard Lizard
Lola Vs Powerman – The Kinks