1001realapes
2387 posts

Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 December 2020 CE
Dec 13, 2020, 05:05
The Albert - st

Darkthrone - Land of Frost

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Jethro Tull - Stand Up

Jethro Tull - War Child (Steven Wilson remix)

Jethro Tull - Stormwatch (Steven Wilson remix)

Jethro Tull - J-Tull Dot Com

Universe - st

Slim Dusty and His Bushlanders - Aussie Sing Song

Grant-Lee Phillips - Little Mono (The Demos)

Grant-Lee Phillips - Walking in the Green Corn

Aphrodite's Child - The End of the World

Aphrodite's Child - It's Five O'Clock

Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders

Matisyahu - Youth Dub EP

King Crimson - Red

Atman - Personal Forest

Julian Cope - Rite²

Brian Eno - The Shutov Assembly

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - The Legendary A&M Sessions

Yes - Relayer

Kate Bush - The Red Shoes

Grateful Dead - In The Dark

Slim Harpo - The Scratch, Rare and Unissued Vol. 1

V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1906
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2020, 14:14
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 December 2020 CE
Dec 13, 2020, 14:13
Hearing good things about Silver Ladders from ML - do you rate it?

My listings:

Chris Issak - Wicked Game & S/T. Not being the most observant type at times and only having recently reaquainted myself with the latter, there is quite an overlap with track listings.

Inspiral Carpets - Life

Invincible - S/T. Mark Burgess vehicle. Equal parts sublime and turgid, but then I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt as he is a hero of mine.

Echo and the Bunnymen - S/T & Porcupine. Had written the latter off, typically for me, on some kind of whim - but it's not bad really. Maybe not up with their earlier work though - as trite as it is to say when reviewing bands!

Edit* Oh and Eat Static - Dead Planet
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 14:20
Bridget St John - Songs For The Gentle Man

Low - A Lifetime Of Temporary Relief (Disc 2)

John Lennon - Mind Games

Bee Gees - For Ever
Bee Gees - Odessa

Sunn O))) - White1
Sunn O))) - Black One
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
Scott Walker - Bish Bosch
Scott Walker & Sunn O))) - Soused

Simon Joyner - Beautiful Losers: Singles & Compilation Tracks 1994-1999
Simon Joyner - Skeleton Blues
Simon Joyner - Ghosts

Gwenifer Raymond - Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain

Paul Simon - Hearts & Bones

The Human League - Reproduction
The Human League - Travelogue
The Human League - Dare

Stina Nordenstam - Dynamite
Stina Nordenstam - People Are Strange

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

Windy & Carl - Drawing Of Sound

Peter Schilling - Error In The System

Pentangle - Reflection

The Beach Boys - Sun Flower (original rejected 14 track version)
The Beach Boys - Add Some Music

Propaganda - Noise & Girls Come Out To Play/A Compact Introduction To Porpaganda
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 17:49
Took me many many years to appreciate the splendor of Porcupine and Heaven Up Here. There's deffo a darker tone to the music on both these albums that takes a while to get under the skin. Think 'Heaven' is prob my fav' Bunnymen album these days after absolutely mainlining Crocodiles for so many years (plus I find it annoying that the CD version tracklisting is in a different order to my original decrepit and much loved vinyl).
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2020, 18:45
Dec 13, 2020, 18:18
Coil - Music to Play in the Dark V.1 (reissue)/ Same (Original)/ Astral Disaster/ Copal/ The Ape Of Naples/ Self Made Best Of.

Hawkwind - Hawkwind/Greasy Truckers 2CD/ 50th Anniversary Live.

The Green Child - Shimmering Basset
Nice intelligent synth pop, with a pleasant dark tone. Touches on Broadcasty noises here and there, but not too beholden, and has some nice PPG Waveterm-esque fat tones. https://thegreenchild.bandcamp.com/album/shimmering-basset

Population II - À La Ô Terre
My mate sent me this. It has a really nice improvy kraut/prog vibe. Really loving it. Hell this could be West Germany 1972, though in truth it's Montreal 2020. Sure many heads on here will enjoy what they's a cookin' up.
https://louderthanwar.com/population-ii-a-la-o-terre-album-review/
https://population2.bandcamp.com/album/la-terre

The The (Originally Matt Johnstone) - Seeing Without Being
Original 79' cassette gets CD release with extra tracks. Hard to see the genius of 'Soul Mining'/ 'Infected' in these early electronic plinkings, could be (and probably was) a different entity, but it's the kinda primitive synth noise I adore, so top marks!

WOW - Come La Notte
Italian Morriconi-esque pop with a nice Broadcast, Portishead, United States Of Ameica vibes. Almost an alternate soundtrack to Berbarian Sound Studio. https://mapledeathrecords.bandcamp.com/album/come-la-notte

Craven Faults - Enclosures
Latest EP from CF. If you now the sound, you know what to expect, more Tangsy arpeggios and washes...nice to chilled with if you're a little pent up or distracted. https://cravenfaults.bandcamp.com/album/enclosures

That's about it, keep well everyone!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 18:42
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Chris Issak - Wicked Game & S/T. Not being the most observant type at times and only having recently reaquainted myself with the latter, there is quite an overlap with track listings.

Would you recommend one over the other? I think Wicked Game is one of the great heartbreak/lost love singles and there was stuff on Twin Peaks that I liked. I want to investigate more.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 21:04
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Hearing good things about Silver Ladders from ML - do you rate it?

Echo and the Bunnymen - S/T & Porcupine. Had written the latter off, typically for me, on some kind of whim - but it's not bad really. Maybe not up with their earlier work though - as trite as it is to say when reviewing bands!

'Porcupine' is, and has been since its release, my favourite Bunnymen album. It manages to sound down and upbeat at the same time - pretty much in league with my own psyche - and has an amazing production job. I love it greatly. And don't those four first LPs all have amazing sleeves? I bought one of those album cover picture frames in Sainsbury's a few months ago and have put 'Heaven Up Here' in it, so great is the photography.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 21:13
Yeah, my way in was crocodiles which has had the most airplay over the years. I *think* that Heaven up Here is hard to beat now - so you are probably right. I can remember cutter playing while Cope was interviewed (by Mark Radcliffe on Radio2 I think) and cope just ripping the piss about the corny indian style opening that seemed quite popular in 80's rock and calling them chicken in a basket or some such! Cruel man!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Dec 13, 2020, 21:19
Well, we know all too well that Mac and Copey aren't exactly bezzy mates!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2020, 21:58
Dec 13, 2020, 21:24
Not much in it really John. Both have Blue Hotel on (another single I believe) and You owe me some kind of love. One could almost describe both albums as Lynchian Blues and expect to catch them at the roadhouse. The eponymous one has had more plays I guess but doesn't possess wicked game.

*Edit. Just been having a look on rym and apparently Wicked Game is a compilation. Never knew that. That might explain the overlapping! Not that I'm some kind of ignoramus or something...
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index