Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 October 2020 CE

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 October 2020
Oct 20, 2020, 19:22
Hope you find something to enjoy there. They are all fine records.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 20, 2020, 20:42
just been listening to the TPS offering in the bath. A suitable companion!

Is the latest Dope any good then? I've just been listening to the Dope featuring Cope environmental studies cassette - particularly the 2nd track which is mighty fine. Would love to source it, but in the mean time Youtube will have to do
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 21, 2020, 10:07
Fitter Stoke wrote:

David Sylvian ‘Blemish’ - Mr Batt’s career high (IMHO of course) sees the musical abstraction and self-alienation of ‘Ghosts’ taken to extreme levels. What could be just another break-up album is here delivered in a completely unique and personal way, devoid of conventional chord sequences or anything more complex than a pulse rhythm (itself apparent on only a couple of tracks). Sylvian gently intones his near-perfect voice over sparse, obtuse and fragmented guitar lines (courtesy of avant-garde masters Derek Bailey and Christian Fennesz) and achieves true emotional catharsis without a hint of frenzy; in fact, the album rarely budges from a steady adagio or middling dynamics. Like late period Scott Walker, this is a tough nut to crack but, given due concentration, rewards immensely. In fact, this may just be my favourite album so far this century, as well as the best confessional epic since Peter Hammill’s ‘Over’. Yes, I really think it’s that good;

I didn't buy a lot of Japan, but loved Tin Drum, etc, but for some reason I have never bought a solo DS record then 'suddenly' (30 odd years later!) there's seemingly millions of them and it's hard to know where to start. I've been thinking of Japan quite a bit of late, Ghosts popping into my head constantly, Quiet Life coming on the radio, etc so maybe now is the time to dip my toes a little. Anyway, thanks for the above review.
Neil Hamburger
Neil Hamburger
173 posts

Oct 21, 2020, 11:11
My 1st Soundtrack post, here goes:

Schulze/Namlook - The Dark Side of the Moog Vol 4.
Klaus Schulze - Picture Music
Klaus Schulze - Trancefer
Stomu Yamash'ta - Go
Baraka - OST
Lou Reed - New York
The Gun Club - Miami
Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk
The Blue Nile - Hats
Hope & Social - Sleep Sound
Enya - Dark Sky Island
Numan - Scarred (live)
Cope - Floored Genius
Curtis Mayfield - Never Say You Can't Survive
Dire Straits - Alchemy (side 1 and 2)
David Sylvian - A Victim of Stars (CD1)

Thank you
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 21, 2020, 18:02
Neil Hamburger wrote:

Stomu Yamash'ta - Go
Baraka - OST
Lou Reed - New York
The Gun Club - Miami
The Blue Nile - Hats
Enya - Dark Sky Island
Numan - Scarred (live)
Cope - Floored Genius

Thank you

Not the last I hope!
Neil Hamburger
Neil Hamburger
173 posts

Oct 22, 2020, 11:05
keith a wrote:
Neil Hamburger wrote:

Stomu Yamash'ta - Go
Baraka - OST
Lou Reed - New York
The Gun Club - Miami
The Blue Nile - Hats
Enya - Dark Sky Island
Numan - Scarred (live)
Cope - Floored Genius

Thank you

Not the last I hope!

Thanks man
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Oct 22, 2020, 16:52
Oct 22, 2020, 16:27
Monganaut wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Two weeks' worth...
Hawkwind – Warrior On The Edge Of Time. The 2013 Atomhenge box, which includes the Steven Wilson remix, which I may have been a little harsh about in the past – however, he does turn the middle of ‘Magnu’ into a dog’s breakfast

Not heard this, I never bought the reissue as I have the old vinyl fold out album, and didn't think I needed it. I am kinda curious, but also a little baffled as to why you'd remix such a classic album. Is it one of those 5.1 mixes he does, or just a re-imagining of the record?

It's strange, it does its best to highlight everything that isn't Brock and Lemmy, screams muso nerd to me but then pretty much everything Wilson does strikes me the same way. Totally misses the point of Hawkwind as far as I'm concerned but I find myself listening to it as much as the original mix just for different outlook. It has a dvd with the 5.1 mix on it, but as my 5.1 system has been off for a while can't remember if it's anything special

edit listening to the Wilson mix now , he's very keen on sax and seagulls, he's certainly paid a lot of attention to the sax, flute and electronics
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Edited Oct 22, 2020, 18:57
Oct 22, 2020, 18:56
machineryelf wrote:
Monganaut wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Two weeks' worth...
Hawkwind – Warrior On The Edge Of Time. The 2013 Atomhenge box, which includes the Steven Wilson remix, which I may have been a little harsh about in the past – however, he does turn the middle of ‘Magnu’ into a dog’s breakfast

Not heard this, I never bought the reissue as I have the old vinyl fold out album, and didn't think I needed it. I am kinda curious, but also a little baffled as to why you'd remix such a classic album. Is it one of those 5.1 mixes he does, or just a re-imagining of the record?

It's strange, it does its best to highlight everything that isn't Brock and Lemmy, screams muso nerd to me but then pretty much everything Wilson does strikes me the same way. Totally misses the point of Hawkwind as far as I'm concerned but I find myself listening to it as much as the original mix just for different outlook. It has a dvd with the 5.1 mix on it, but as my 5.1 system has been off for a while can't remember if it's anything special

edit listening to the Wilson mix now , he's very keen on sax and seagulls, he's certainly paid a lot of attention to the sax, flute and electronics

I can't say I noticed anything very different about either of the album mixes in the box set, but I've always been bit like that with any remix/remaster stuff (unless it's very obviously different). It's Warrior On The Edge Of Time innit? Great album and this does it no harm as far as I can tell. I liked some of the additions very much, others not so much. The live stuff from Watchfield Free Festival is great. The alternate Nik Turner versions of the Michael Moorcock voiced racks are inessential, but interesting. 3 versions of Motorhead - oh yes!
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index