Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Edited Nov 01, 2020, 04:21
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 October 2020 CE
Oct 04, 2020, 04:31
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Pugwash - Play This Intimately (As If Among Friends)

The Grateful Dead - Birth of the Dead

Grateful Dead - Lazy River Road ('94-'95 live)

Sparks - A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip

Desiderii Marginis - Viva Arkivet

Desiderii Marginis - Departed

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Burzum - Filosofem

SU:M - 2nd

Mayhem - Pure Fucking Armageddon

Mayhem - Deathcrush

Mayhem - Out From The Dark

Mayhem - Life Eternal

Mayhem - Wolf's Lair Abyss

Mayhem - Grand Declaration Of War

Mayhem - Chimera

Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao

Thorns - Grymyrk

Fleet Foxes - Shore

The Seeds - Future

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold

Marty Robbins - The Song of Robbins

raison d'être - Within The Depths Of Silence And Phormations
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2020, 09:41
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 October 2020
Oct 04, 2020, 09:21
Edwin Collins ‘Badbea’ - thoroughly enjoyable album from last year. Despite his ailments he’s still got his chops and songwriting skills aplenty. Check out the untitled hidden track for evidence;
Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets ‘Live At The Roundhouse’ - well worth a listen for pre-Dark Side Floyd fans, but not for repeated hearing methinks. Maybe I had to have been there, but it all sounds a bit too tribute band for my liking - which I guess is what it is;
The Delgados ‘Peel Sessions’ - Scotland’s answer to Sonic Youth always sounded better in session than on record for me, not that I didn’t dig them anyway;
UFO ‘Phenomenon’ - the Schenker era began with this fine hard rock album from 1974;
Iggy and the Stooges ‘Raw Power’ - my all-time favourite pure rock album exists in two very different mixes, both of which appeal to me depending on my mood. This week I favour the everything-in-the-red Iggy mix, if only to hear the end of ‘Death Trip’ denied to us by Bowie. Isn’t it weird that, after all these years, this (in whatever mix) rocks harder and louder than anything else before or since:
John & Beverley Martyn ’Stormbringer!’ - the first of only two collaborative albums (though there’s little actual collaboration between them) by Martyn and his first wife is a distracting, but hardly essential, release. In fact, I much prefer Beverley’s songs here;
John Martyn ‘Bless The Weather’ & ‘Solid Air’ - much more like it. Here Martyn starts on his own no-genre path with style. Two of his best albums, I think;
Paul Siebel ‘Woodsmoke and Oranges’ - kickin’ early country rock (albeit more the former than the latter) from a long-unsung singer songwriter. Think of Nashville-era Bob Dylan spiced with a little Michael Nesmith and you’ll get the picture. He only made two LPs (newly reissued) at the start of the 70s before going into the shadows;
Yusuf Cat Stevens ‘Tea For The Tillerman 2’ - only one question: Why did he bother? Not a patch on the original. Even more redundant than a covers album, this is the epitome of exhausted creativity. Then again, Robert Plant issuing a second “career spanning” solo comp within a few years is even more so…;
Tangerine Dream ‘Phaedra’ - say what you like about their four Ohr LPs (which I really like), this is the high point of this band’s output as far as I’m concerned. The bit where the sequencer goes apeshit ten minutes into the title track is beyond amazing. What’s more, the outtakes make an amazing album in themselves;
Vangelis ‘Invisible Connections’ - this atypically abstract album from the mid-80’s becomes surprisingly listenable with patience. I like this much more than the song-orientated and soundtrack music for which Vangelis is better known. Certainly rocks the foundations in places with some deep, deep bass notes;
11nd Street Dreads (Keith Hudson) ‘Pick A Dub’ - one of the earliest dub LPs, also with truly subterranean bass;
Various ‘Island Presents Dub’ and ‘The Front Line’ - yet more woofer abuse!
The Wailers ‘Catch A Fire’ - their breakthrough album’s a pleasant enough listen but not as fine as the harder ‘Burnin’’ that followed;
Lou Reed ‘Metal Machine Music’ -well, just part 1 to be honest. I started with a strong ambition to make it through all 64 minutes but unlike Seth, I couldn’t stand to hear any more. The feeling of blissful relief when the first side ended was palpable. One day, though, I’ll get brave and venture further. Maybe;
Van Morrison ‘Born To Be Free’ - one of the man’s much publicised new anti-lockdown songs breaks no new ground musically but is eminently listenable, boding well for the new album;
Earth Wind & Fire ‘Raise!’ - some would call this 1981 LP a guilty pleasure. I feel no guilt at all in loving this, a lot more now than I did at the time to be honest;
Weather Report ‘Mysterious Traveller’ - fourth WR outing with a funkier vibe than the departing Vitous (see below) could stand. Some of Zawinul’s keyboards sound a bit cheesy in places, but it’s a fun listen anyway;
Miroslav Vitous ‘Journey’s End’ - post-WR solo venture with a fine ECM combo featuring the great John Surman on reeds. A bit wan in places, but highly atmospheric;
Keith Jarrett ‘Spirits’ - where he gets all spontaneous and translates his muse into a plethora of non-keyboard instruments over four sides of vinyl. The Penguin Guide To Jazz called this “preposterous”, and I can see their point at times, but at its best (about half of it) it sounds like fairly involving world music. Probably be another twenty years before I play it again, mind;
Keith Jarrett ‘Vienna Concert’ - much more what we’d expect. This 1991 solo piano gig isn’t quite as celestial as his somewhat immodest sleeve notes suggest, but it does grip in places;
Chick Corea & Gary Burton ‘Crystal Silence’ - one of the subtlest and sweet sounding ECM records, this captures both fine artists at the peak of their form and artistry. Simply lovely;
Lester Bowie ‘Avant Pop’ - patchy yet catchy album from a late trumpet maestro usually associated with much freer sounds. The sort of thing for which Maynard Ferguson was critically slated a few years earlier, but I think he did the jazz funk thing so much better;
William Mathias: I Will Celebrate (Christ Church Cathedral Choir/Darlington) - typically lyrical and imaginative choral writing from one of Wales’ finest composers. Fab organ lines too;
Beethoven: Piano Concertos 2 & 5 (Helmchen/Berlin RSO/Manze) - traditional performances, beautifully played and recorded;
Weinberg: Symphony no.21 (CBSO/Grazinyte-Tyla) - part of Gramophone’s Orchestral Record of the Year, this is a fabulous modern symphony, riddled with anguish and doffing its cap to both Mahler and Shostakovich, along with clear Chopin quotations. Features a lovely vocal performance from the conductor (!) in the last movement. The CBSO (plus Gidon Kremer’s ensemble) play their hearts out and for once a new classical record lives up to its hype. Do try this;
Vaughan Williams: Tallis Fantasia (Philh/Karajan) - stunningly moving rendition of one of the finest English orchestral works, despite sounding distinctly Germanic here. The parallels with Strauss’ ‘Metamorphosen’ are uncanny under a teutonic conductor;
Mozart: The Magic Flute (BPO/Karajan) - another digital first (apparently the first ever digital recording of an opera). Yet the same conductor’s mono recording from 1950 sounds better balanced to my ears, as well as being a far more vital and well-sung performance;
Schubert: Fantasy in F minor, D 940 (Elena & Emil Gilels) - profound and intense late Schubert performed to near-perfection by a master Russian pianist and his talented daughter;
Schubert: Klavierstuecke D 946 nos.1 & 2 (Jean-Rudolphe Kars) - more late Schubert, spiritually rendered by a fine Franco-Indian pianist who retired far too early.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Oct 04, 2020, 10:01
The Apostles - Lives & Times Of ...

Be-Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim

Big Star - Keep An Eye On The Sky (boxset)

Broadcast - Investigating Witch Cults In The Radio Age (with The Focus Group) / Work & Non Work / The Future Crayon / Trish Keenan's Mindbending Motorway Mix (V/A)

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda / Tunya Sings / Divine Songs

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things (mono) / Meditations / Sun Ship / Interstellar Space

Julian Cope - Autogeddon (25th anniversary box)

Mark Eitzel - Don't Be A Stranger

The 5th Dimmension - Up, Up & Away (mono)

Gong - The Universe Also Collapses

The Kinks - ... Are The Village Green Preservation Society

Timothy Leary/ V/A - Beyond Life With Timothy Leary

The Lefte Bank - There's Gonna Be A Storm

The Lemon Pipers - Green Tambourine

Magic Mixture - This Is ...

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

The Mob - Let The Tribe Increase

David Sylvian - Gone To Earth / The First Day (with Robert Fripp)

This Mortal Coil - Filigree & Shadow

Velvet Underground - S/t (Closet Mix)

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom / Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard / 1982-1984

XTC - 25 O'Clock (Dukes Of Stratosphear) / Skylarking / Apple Venus

The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

Zounds - The Curse Of Zoundz
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Oct 04, 2020, 12:08
V/A - Escape From Reality: 15 Baroque'n'Roll, Art Rock Fandangos (MOJO comp)

Elvis Presley - He Touched Me
Elvis Presley - As Recorded At Madison Square Garden
Elvis Presley - Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite
Elvis Presley - Sings Shit From His Movies (sorry, Hits, but it does feature some of his absolute worst recordings)
Elvis Presley - Burning Love & Hits From His Movies
Elvis Presley - Separate Ways

The Who - Introducing The Who
The Who - Jigsaw Puzzle
The Who - Who's Lily?
The Who - Who's For Tennis?
The Who - Lifehouse
The Who - Rock Is Dead
(all soniclovenoise re-imaginings)

The Kinks - Are Well-Respected Men

Yo La Tengo - Ride The Tiger
Yo La Tengo - New Wave Hot Dogs
Yo La Tengo - President Yo La Tengo
Yo La Tengo - Fakebook

Espers - Espers
Espers - The Weed Tree

The Kingsbury Manx - Aztec Discipline/Afternoon Owls
The Kingsbury Manx - The Fast Rise & Fall Of The South

The Walker Brothers - Take It Easy With...
The Walker Brothers - Portrait
The Walker Brothers - Images

Fairfield Parlour - From Home To Home

Brian Wilson - Brian Wilson
Brian Wilson - Sweet Insanity (some great songs on this - a shame the bootleg was mastered from a promo cassette and the masters are supposedly missing)
Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks - Orange Crate Art (2LP vinyl version - nice to have this on vinyl, but it doesn't quite work as a double as the tracks always sounded like they were sequenced as two 6-song sides, so the breaks now come in the wrong place. The 3 previously unreleased tracks that make up side four are pleasant but inessential)

Michael Nesmith - The Wichita Train Whistle Sings
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Loose Salute
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Nevada Fighter
Michael Nesmith & The Second National Band - Tantamount To Treason Vol. 1

Linda Ronstadt - Hand Sown ... Home Grown
Linda Ronstadt - Silk Purse
Linda Ronstadt - Linda Ronstadt
Linda Ronstadt - Don't Cry Now
Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like A Wheel

Edith Frost - Calling Over Time
Edith Frost - Telescopic
Edith Frost - Wonder Wonder
Edith Frost - It's A Game (15 years since this last album came out and again I was wondering if this most unsung of singer-songwriters was ever going to release anything new, but then discovered she released a new EP back in May. The lead track is good, if rather morose and home-made, but she sounds more like her old self on the two traditional country songs that follow. Still on Drag City too)

Elton John - Regimental Sgt Zippo (the recently discovered unreleased 1968 album which made good use of the scores of tracks young Reg recorded on the sly after hours at Dick James studios, most of which are finally getting a proper release next month)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2020, 22:00
Oct 04, 2020, 21:32
Not done this fer several weeks, in which time I've had a short break in Kent (never been before, had a lovely time, though could do with some proper hills) Had a covid test curtesy of Bham city council door knockers covid team (negative I'm pleased to say, knew it would be, I'm v cautious cos' of having kids with nasty long term illnesses) and have started tiling the bathroom (tip...large format tiles DON'T make it any quicker, quite the opposite in fact) anyways, tooonz....

COIL - Astral Disaster (Unfinished Mixes Pt 2.)
Deffo worth picking up if your into Coil, better than the Vol:1 mixes...there are some MP3 links around if you don't wanna fork 27 odd quid fer the vinyl with proceeds going to who knows?
Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark Vol:1
Coil - Musick to PLay In The Dark Vol:2
Coil - Moons Milk In Four Phases
Coil - Moons Milk Bonus Disc
(Not noticed before. but I'd swear there was a nod to The Fast Show in the phrasing of one of the lyrics to The track The Coppice Meat, when Jhonn sings about would you eat a boiled owl (spoken as boiled Owel) or maybe I'm being fanciful.
Coil - Scatology
Coil - Black Light District
Coil - Timemachines

Cope - Jehovahkill
Cope - Peggy Suicide 2CD
Cope - Fried
Cope - Floored Genius Vol:2 2CD
Cope - World Shut Your Mouth
Cope - Autogedden 2CD (plus just plumbed fer the super cheapy Box set of the same as 23 quid delivered seems too good not to have fer one of my Fav Cope Releases).

Braindonor - Love, Peace and Fuck
Braindonor - Too Freud to Rock 'n' Roll, Too Jung to Die

A Certain Ratio - LOCO
Fab return by ACR. White man funk has barely skipped a beat. This sounds ace, with more than a hint of New Order about it, but that's a good thing. They all sound so feckin' yooung. This could have been released at the height of Madchester and it it would have fitted in perfectly. Love it! (Wonder if they''re still wearing the Scout shorts?)
Berlin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpcIlvzRO8U

Dope - Semi Legal On The Edge of Culture
Cheers HH staffers fer the super fast delivery xx. Agree with what some folk have said, more a RITE release than DOPE, but yummy and funky none-the-less.
Track 4 reminds me a bit of African Head Charge.
Dope - On Drugs
Dope - Village Idiot Dope

T-Rex - Electric Warrior (SACD)

Stooges - Live Goose Lake

Modern Nature - How To Live

Lee Scratch Perry - Heavy Rain
Lee Scratch Perry - Life Of Plants

Killing Joke - Laugh I ALmost Bought One! (Best of)
Killing Joke - Pylon
Killing Joke - Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions

People Of The Woods - Deep Tissue

Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound
Shellac - Radio Sessions

Thighpaulsandra - The Lepore Extrusions

Hawkwind - 25 Years On Box Set
Hawkwind - The Best Of and The Rest Of (Live 79)

Follakzoid - I
Follakzoid - II
Follakzoid - III
Follakzoid - RMX

Fujiya Miyagi - Flashback
Fujiya Miyagi - S/T

The Human League - Dare

Depeche Mode - Peel Sessions

Eno and Wobble - Spinner

Moon Duo - Stars Are The Light

Electic Wizard - S/T
Electric Wizard - Legalize Drugs and Murder
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics

Black Sabbath - S/T
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Butthole Surfers - After the Astronaut

Amon Duul - Yeti

The Constantines - Shine A Light

Bowie - ChangesNowBowie
Bowie - Man Who Sold The World
Bowie - Alladin Sane
Bowie - Outside

Pye Corner Audio - The Black Mill Tapes

Rational Youth - Cold War Night life

Simple Minds - Real to Reel
Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain

Sioxsie and The Banshees - Downside Up

The Scientists - A Place Called Bad Box Set

The Psychedelic Furs - Made of Rain

The Rats - In A Desperate Red

The Oscillation - U.E.F.

The Mystery Lights - Too Much Tension!

That's about all I can Remember. Keep well y'all!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Oct 04, 2020, 21:36
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets ‘Live At The Roundhouse’ - well worth a listen for pre-Dark Side Floyd fans, but not for repeated hearing methinks. Maybe I had to have been there, but it all sounds a bit too tribute band for my liking - which I guess is what it is;

I had a listen to this and enjoyed it fer the most part, but whomever is singing got on me nerves a bit after a while. Agree, I prob won't be going back fer part two, but I would give em' a watch if they came my way.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Oct 04, 2020, 21:39
garerama wrote:
Broadcast - Investigating Witch Cults In The Radio Age (with The Focus Group) / Work & Non Work / The Future Crayon / Trish Keenan's Mindbending Motorway Mix (V/A)

Autumn/Winter must be on the way, as I've also been looking at my Broadcast albums and thinking Hmmmmm time to dust em' off. They don't get much of a spin the rest of the year.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Oct 04, 2020, 22:38
Monganaut wrote:
garerama wrote:

Autumn/Winter must be on the way, as I've also been looking at my Broadcast albums and thinking Hmmmmm time to dust em' off. They don't get much of a spin the rest of the year.

They do get more spins in Autumn/Winter here - last week was more for Trish Keenan who would have been 52 last Monday (born a day before me). Children Of Alice on at the mo - fine album that is - bit like Investigating Witch Cults minus the vocals.
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Oct 04, 2020, 22:42
Nice selection of Coil there. Went through a bit of a Coil binge the other week ... Autumn Equinox thing. Great selection of other stuff too. Must get round to getting some of that Pye Corner lot.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Oct 05, 2020, 09:32
Michael Nesmith - The Wichita Train Whistle Sings
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Loose Salute
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Nevada Fighter
Michael Nesmith & The Second National Band - Tantamount To Treason Vol. 1

Good calls. I haven’t spun any of these in ages. There’s something about Nesmith’s plaintive tones that I just need every so often. Think I’ll play some right now!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index