Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 October 2020
Oct 06, 2020, 20:45
Monganaut wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Fleetwood Mac – Future Games. Other than the ‘hits’, I know very little of FM’s oeuvre. This was perfectly pleasant if not amazing.

Like yourself ,I'm not that familiar with much work of 'Da Mac' other than what was on the radio growing up (and an older sisters incessant playing of Rumours, which I guess I absorbed by osmosis being in the general area sometimes).
But you gotta hear the liars version of 'The Chain', absolutely one of my favourite cover versions ever...think it was on some MOJO other bands rehash of Rumours from many moons ago... Peeps i play it to either love it or hate it, so its a bit of a marmite track but hey, worth a listen.

Liars - The Chain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRmpy-AtdM

Ha, that is great, though I kept wondering if they were suddenly going to puncture the sepulchral atmosphere with a note perfect rendition of the Grand Prix theme ;-) For a few years, Liars really were an amazing band.
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Oct 06, 2020, 22:01
Really sad how Coil's music has turned into money making schemes for collectors - take this for example! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coil-Musik-to-Play-in-the-Dark-Trauma-edition-UNIQUE-EXAMPLE/254740964636?fbclid=IwAR3KetgBDQJ2yjz3b9dj_F9hTo59lMzrLobUoseYgZNzkoLXCoQdEGCnCIs
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Oct 06, 2020, 22:04
Why bother putting postage on an item at that price!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Oct 07, 2020, 23:02
Yeah, some releases command just daft money. Just looked and someone's taking a punt, even at that price. I was peeved that those re-issues from a few years ago pretty much disappeared straight to dealers who sell on at inflated prices. Also I thought they were gonna stay in print at reasonable prices, but that never happened (though that could have been due to the death of Iain Johnstone I suppose who was overseeing the reissues if I recall correctly).

What narks me is these spurious post Coil releases. The 3 astral Disaster vinyl releases seem to benefit nobody but Danny Hyde, who was a member/co-conspirator for a while, but in recent years seems to overplay his part in the music much more than it actually is. Funny how these 'remixes' suddenly appear, most of which you'd have think would have been circulating as semi official boots back in the day through the Coil web forum was active. There are also boots which just lift stuff from the Coil archive wholesale ... can't remember the label, but it's a French one. I bought the Megalithomania vinyl (cos' I was at the gig...nice memento I thought) thinking it was a legit source only to find it was a straight out boot .

There's another fella on ebay putting silly sums on releases allegedly signed by members.....dunno where he gets them (writes them himself I'm guessing) but he sources a fuck load that's fer sure.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2020, 12:22
Oct 08, 2020, 12:15
thanks for tip you both. Been listening to Time Machines some more and was thinking that the drone synth sound throughout reminded me of that track of John Cale's Slow Dazzle about a fully formed vulva growing out of someone's head or eye or something! Maybe Eno was responsible?

*Edit* It was called the Jeweller and Eno was on Synth duties for the album
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Oct 08, 2020, 12:31
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
a fully formed vulva growing out of someone's head or eye

I don't know, those zany rock 'n' roll types with their drugs and stuff.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Oct 08, 2020, 15:47
Not heard of that, will give it a listen. Cheers for the heads up.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Oct 08, 2020, 17:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShlmNq7wHw
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Oct 24, 2020, 22:58
Couldn't see any studio albums up there beyond LCA constructed comp type stuff? It is also quite possible that I am thick.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index