New (old) Dope

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

New (old) Dope
Sep 30, 2020, 17:56
You'll have seen this by now but....https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/Zap-1/

(I wish HH would leave off the big 'NEW' badge on the cover - where am I gonna find a clean version for when I rip the bugger)
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: New (old) Dope
Sep 30, 2020, 21:19
sweetfeed wrote:
You'll have seen this by now but....https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/Zap-1/

(I wish HH would leave off the big 'NEW' badge on the cover - where am I gonna find a clean version for when I rip the bugger)

Thanks for the heads up. Finally it gets released. Was wondering if we'd see any Dope this year.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 01, 2020, 07:24
Old school scanning by the looks for the moment.

Ordered yesterday, I doubt the cover will pop up in iTunes when ripping either.
Boxnudger
Boxnudger
246 posts

Oct 01, 2020, 22:21
Don't worry - it will be scanned and uploaded to Discogs soon.
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Oct 02, 2020, 12:18
Head Heritage have never failed to deliver something (to me anyway) at lightning speed. Semi-Legal arrived this morning. Just put it on. First thoughts: this is a Rite album (based on the 10 minutes I've heard so far). A world away from Odin on Acid.

I like the very minimal packaging, blurry song titles on a computer screen on the back. No mention whatsoever of Julian Cope. Is that a first?

Concluding that I maybe just like 'early Dope'. Which is a strange thing to say about a band whose first release was in 2017. The Maxi 12", orange tape/LP...and this (so far) are the ones for me.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 02, 2020, 12:59
The first track is a great funk groove, great album though and I think record speed delivery for HH too!
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Oct 02, 2020, 13:28
Captain Starlet wrote:
The first track is a great funk groove, great album though and I think record speed delivery for HH too!

It's really great. The last track (I Need Dope) is the only one that didn't totally grab me but it is the 'short' one (12 mins) in a 74 minute album so no matter. The full length Drugs and Nothinglessness are so good. If people need a comparison, I would say John Balance Enters Valhalla is the nearest (which is basically a Dope album) but this is better I reckon and works well as a complete album. Definitely feels like it could be called Rite Dub (especially with that brill Jerry Hitler remix).

This and Self Civil War (the best solo Cope for years) make 2020 a vintage Cope year (even if everything else has gone to shit). I'd say if someone isn't sure about buying it, perhaps put off by some recent Dope releases, then fear not. Buy it.
Jeez
98 posts

Oct 02, 2020, 14:34
HeadHeritage have the quickest order processing, and have been like that for years! Thanx to whoever is responsible! I agree this cd is another good one. I'm listening to Too Much Religion as I write this and I love it. Chris Holman's guitar again on this reminds me so much of Brain Donor (which I miss) - but that's just a small part of it. The whole thing is a great vibe.
Got to say I'm happy to keep buying JC's music whatever - it's never boring - always fresh. The last track "I need dope" is great fun. Sounds like a load of stoned monks.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 02, 2020, 15:11
I'm with you there, some of the later Dope stuff hasn't grabbed me at all, and I do regret not buying the earlier stuff now and with no mp3 versions it's not likely I'll get them soon either. I'd put this up there with John Balance, I liked Self Civil War, and yeah, his best solo album for years.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 02, 2020, 15:12
I think I've had to wait for about two things through the post which had delays, which when thinking how much I've ordered over the years isn't exactly a quibble!
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index