Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
'Ha Ha, I'm Drowning' - The Withdrawn Sleeve.

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: 'Ha Ha, I'm Drowning' - The Withdrawn Sleeve.
Sep 29, 2020, 19:53
Makkr wrote:
Quotes from page 189 - the 1st edition of Cope's 'Head-On:

"Bates had arrived at the soundcheck with a new Teardrop single. One that I'd not even been consulted about. They had edited and released it with Bill Drummond's permission.

The song 'Ha Ha I'm Drowning' was the fourth single from the 'Kilimanjaro' album. That was way too much..........I said I would stay there - his parents house - until Phonogram Records withdrew all the copies of 'Ha Ha I'm Drowning'.

I had lunch with the managing director of Phonogram. He was really nice. He acquiesced and agreed. He also told me that the single had entered the chart at 66 with only three days sales. I said I was sorry. It was a principles thing."

Yes. I have a copy of that book as well. Julian says a number of things about that period in "Head On". He was certainly simultaneously in a few places at once and at the same time.

Mercury/ Phonogram's way of withdrawing all the copies of "Ha Ha I'm Drowning" was the kind of way of "withdrawing all copies" that makes sure there are plenty of copies still around. I had bought the 7" the week it was released and didn't discover it was also available as a 'double pack' 7" until over a year later. I had absolutely no problem in ordering a copy of said lavish 2x7" double pack gatefold EP through Speed Records in Parkhouse Street in Ayr. This was quite a bit after "Tiny Children" had stiffed just outside the charts -indeed I am certain that the Teardrops were no more by this point. It was a post-Teardrops vinyl mopping-up exercise for me.

Mercury/ Phonogram continued their nice, respectful, acquiesced and principled way of treating Julian & the band by sliding out the greater part of half an album on a posthumous 2x7" EP and a 12" which Mercury/ Phonogram did nothing to promote in 1983. Though to be fair Julian did nothing either, but wake & bake in Tamworth. Still two of the best Teardrops packages I think though... The posthumous 1983 "You Disappear From View" clutch of 12" and 7" EP tracks and 1981's "Ha Ha I'm Drowning" 7" EP spillage. Gloriously sinking without trace...

Unsung Forum Index